PDA

View Full Version : Ships losing their skins

SSI01
02-22-12, 10:07 PM
This is my first post to the forum so please bear with me. I couldn't find an answer to this in the FAQ section.

My main drive recently crashed and I had a new one put in. The shop was able to clone everything over to the new hard drive from the old one, and my programs work fine - with one exception, SH4. I can do everything I need to do in the sim, everything works. The problem lies with torpedoes impacting any target - at that point, the target vessel loses portions of its superstructure, plus the exterior hull skin. I get a pretty good view of the interior of the ship, all compartments and interior machinery. The ship's physics continue to function (i.e., it slows down after impact, lists, and eventually sinks) it's just that it loses its external texture and some portions of its superstructure. Is this pointing toward a reintstall?

WernherVonTrapp
02-23-12, 02:07 AM
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/feb85fa7.gif

For starters, what operating system do you have? Also, what version of SHIV are you using (w/U-Boat Expansion Pack)? If your copy of SHIV was cloned over with the rest of your HD, I would suggest a reinstall. Still, wait first and see what the more knowledgable members (that includes everyone else:D) have to say about it. Are you running the Stock version?

Soviet Creeper
02-23-12, 06:23 AM
I would recommend the GFO (Game fixes only) Mod, it may very well fix that, and it will also fix alot of other things making stock playable.

Fish40
02-23-12, 06:47 AM
I bet you're useing an ATI card, right? Try changing the mode of your AA in the CCC. Pick the lowest mode. Not sure, but I believe it's "Multi Sample". That should sort you out;)

EricW
02-23-12, 09:14 AM
I bet you're useing an ATI card, right? Try changing the mode of your AA in the CCC. Pick the lowest mode. Not sure, but I believe it's "Multi Sample". That should sort you out;)

What he said.......

I had the same thing happen after I installed a new gpu. I think I have my card set to 8x multi sample now and it works fine.

SSI01
02-29-12, 02:01 AM
Hello everyone, family medical problems kept me busy for a few days but I'm back.

I'm currently running a Radeon HD6850 card that's working fine, handled the sim excellently before the crash and then clone operation. I'm running Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3 with an AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.01 GHAZ, 3.25GB of RAM. Can anyone tell me where the gamefix app is located? That sounds like a good first step to take before we work up to the more complex ones.

I'm currently running SH4 version 1.4, according to the start icon. BTW, this used to show up on the desktop but after the cloning it's in the game file, where it still works. Just an extra step required to open the file and find the .exe file. Game starts OK after that - except for this problem.

SSI01
02-29-12, 02:22 AM
Just tried to start the sim using "autorun" in the "D" (disk) drive. The machine came back with a msg saying it could not find the "intro.dll" file, and that reinstalling the sim might fix this. Would finding this file and placing it in the correct spot on the drive correct this issue?

WernherVonTrapp
02-29-12, 12:37 PM
Just tried to start the sim using "autorun" in the "D" (disk) drive. Why are you doing that?:06:
You don't need the disk to run the sim. Are you trying to install it from the D: drive or run/play it from the D: drive? I'm not sure that I correctly understand what you are doing. If SHIV is installed to your C: drive, you don't need a Disk to run it. You just click on the SHIV.exe icon to fire it up.

Bilge_Rat
02-29-12, 01:02 PM
This is my first post to the forum so please bear with me. I couldn't find an answer to this in the FAQ section.

My main drive recently crashed and I had a new one put in. The shop was able to clone everything over to the new hard drive from the old one, and my programs work fine - with one exception, SH4. I can do everything I need to do in the sim, everything works. The problem lies with torpedoes impacting any target - at that point, the target vessel loses portions of its superstructure, plus the exterior hull skin. I get a pretty good view of the interior of the ship, all compartments and interior machinery. The ship's physics continue to function (i.e., it slows down after impact, lists, and eventually sinks) it's just that it loses its external texture and some portions of its superstructure. Is this pointing toward a reintstall?

I have the exact same problem, I think it is a ATI driver issue (ATI 6950, win 7 64 bits here). I will try the suggested changes to FSAA.

SSI01
03-01-12, 09:07 AM
OK - I was going through "D" (CD) drive as an experiment, trying to initiate the "autorun" feature for the disk, thinking that would allow the sim to run as it should, instead of my going into the "F" drive (a terrabyte drive - plenty of room, but not the machine's main drive - that is "E" drive), opening the sim's file, and running it from the ".exe" file located there.

I installed it into the terrabyte drive because for once there is PLENTY of room on the disk.

Moving the ".exe" icon to the desktop, and opening the sim from there, with or without the disk in "D" drive, does not stop this from happening.

Running the sim without the disk in the disk drive, and opening the sim either with the desktop icon or through opening the "F" drive, and clicking on the ".exe" file there to open the sim, doesn't fix this either.

I hesitate to change any of the graphics settings through the card's control panel as I have other sims on this machine that benefit greatly from its increased settings.

This did not start until the machine crashed a short time ago and everything on the bad main drive was cloned over to the new good main drive. Other sims that were not located on the crashed main drive work fine since this cloning, this one seems to be the only one not previously located on the bad drive giving me trouble. BTW SH4 ran with excellent graphics and gameplay, even with very high graphics settings (highest the sim allowed), prior to the crash.

Mention is made of a game clean-up option that is available somewhere on this site. Please, where is this located?

steve_the_slim
03-01-12, 09:31 AM
Ships losing their skins

This is natural. It's a little-known fact that ships are actually a form of reptile, and therefore need to shed their skins on a regular basis. By torpedoing them, you're helping them get the old skin off.

EricW
03-01-12, 09:38 AM
I'm still pretty sure that its your graphics card......SH4 ran great for a week after I put my ATI card in, then....... naked ships. Funny thing is, it only happened to a couple skins at first. After a few days it was almost every torp hit.
You can set your card to go into Multi -sample mode for ONLY SH4. You can have custom settings for probably any game or vid application.

WernherVonTrapp
03-01-12, 11:00 AM
After learning that you have an ATI card, I'm now inclined to agree with the others, that you should check your AA (AntiAlias) settings in your card's control panel. Others have had this same problem (as they've stated) and you should at least give it a try.:up:

Bilge_Rat
03-01-12, 01:44 PM
yes, it is purely a FSAA issue and it only occurs when you choose the intermediate "adaptive multi-sample" setting, pure multi-sample or super-sample works fine.

SSI01
03-01-12, 02:42 PM
Well, did an uninstall/reinstall, and still get the same problem. That eliminates any generic problems with the sim, so it's got to be the video card. Now that you've given me the tips as you have, I'll pull up the control panel for that video card and see about tweaking those settings.

SSI01
03-01-12, 03:23 PM
OK, found the Catalyst CCC and changed Anti-Aliasing Mode to "performance" from "quality." Fish now hit with no skins falling off the ships. Got this one licked. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Next step is to add back on all the mods I had installed, and get back to normal . . .

DrBeast
03-01-12, 03:51 PM
Phew...you guys scared me. I just finished reinstalling the game after a two-year hiatus, and with a new rig at my disposal since last time I played, and I read of more issues with ATi cards and went "not again!". Because naturally I picked an ATi card to power my new beast, and I had endless problems with this game and my old ATi. Well, after a quick spin, and having read the info on this thread, I breathed a sigh of relief. Everything works like a charm! Now excuse me while I learn how to blow things up again :D

SSI01
03-01-12, 04:01 PM
Ya gotta love it . . . after reinstalling the mods I had saved up in the "Mods" folder, I've got a CTD after the sim installs. This occurs after you select a "quick mission," for example, and the sim is loading - the scroll crosses the screen, gets to the right side of its travel, then the CTD occurs with the following msg for my viewing enjoyment:

AppName: SH4.exe
ModVer: 1.2.0.0
AppVer: 1.2.0.0
Offset: 000fea9
ModName: SH4.exe

Not sure what's going on now.

DrBeast
03-01-12, 04:11 PM
Ya gotta love it . . . after reinstalling the mods I had saved up in the "Mods" folder, I've got a CTD after the sim installs. This occurs after you select a "quick mission," for example, and the sim is loading - the scroll crosses the screen, gets to the right side of its travel, then the CTD occurs with the following msg for my viewing enjoyment:

AppName: SH4.exe
ModVer: 1.2.0.0
AppVer: 1.2.0.0
Offset: 000fea9
ModName: SH4.exe

Not sure what's going on now.

Um...I might be wrong, but it seems you're using an old version of the game (v1.2). Most mods are either for v1.4, or for SH4 plus the add-on (v1.5). I'd suggest patching up to v1.4, then check to see which version of the game your mods are compatible with. If they're for 1.5 only, you can't use them.

SSI01
03-01-12, 06:49 PM
Will do - will install 1.4 (which it had before) and then see what happens after I pull then reinstall the mods.

krashkart
03-03-12, 06:25 AM
This thread rules. :rock:

I've been playing SH4 again for a couple of days and every ship I hit has lost its skin. Found this thread, read through it, applied the changes in CCC and that did the trick -- no more skeletal ships. Thanks guys. :salute:

SSI01
03-06-12, 12:15 AM
krashkart - glad to hear it, my skins are staying on as well. After the reinstall, to clean things up thoroughly, I put the mods I had back into the sim - also applied update to version 1.4 from 1.2. Some of the mods will not take using the GME; when attempting to add them I get msg saying another mod has already altered the sim, adding this mod may affect gameplay. Seems like files already in the sim via another mod would be overwritten under these circumstances. At any rate, I'm back up and running. :salute: