PDA

View Full Version : New to the board here

Radio Man
02-04-12, 09:14 PM
Just ordered SH4. Do I need a strategy guide for this game? Also, the keyboard and mouse is all I need right?

donna52522
02-04-12, 09:33 PM
Yes, keyboard and mouse is all you need....of course a monitor helps :har:

Check out the sticky's at the top of the forum, such as tech help and skippers bag of tricks.

Welcome aboard :salute:

Radio Man
02-04-12, 09:35 PM
Thanks shipmate!

peabody
02-04-12, 10:43 PM
Thanks shipmate!

Welcome Radioman.

I don't know what version you got, hope it is the Gold? If you did you are all set, that will put you at version 1.5. If not you will need to patch it to 1.4 or it will not work worth a hoot.

AVGWarhawk
02-04-12, 10:45 PM
Welcome aboard:up:

magic452
02-04-12, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the boat mate. :salute:

Yep read it stickies, will take some time but it's well worth it. :know:

Magic

Sailor Steve
02-04-12, 11:49 PM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

Yes, the keyboard and mouse is all you'll need.

The best instruction manual you'll find anywhere is this forum.

Armistead
02-05-12, 12:12 AM
Ahoy mate

indy
02-05-12, 12:36 AM
Hello Radio Man and Welcome.
Great to have you aboard! Once you find your way around on the game and want to add Mods.The easiest way to do that is to down load
JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler.

The Generic Mod Enabler takes most of the hassle out of installing and uninstalling mods from your game. It has been tested with European Air War, Panzer Elite, Silent Hunter III/IV, Total War and various other games but should work with just about any moddable game.I put a Link in at the bottom for easy down load. Good luck and have fun! Indy :salute:

http://www.users.on.net/~jscones/software/products-jsgme.html

TorpX
02-05-12, 01:53 AM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

If you got the 1.5 version, you can make use of some of the latest and best mods:

RFB, TMO, GFO, OM, FOTRS.

Radio Man
02-05-12, 09:32 AM
Welcome Radioman.

I don't know what version you got, hope it is the Gold? If you did you are all set, that will put you at version 1.5. If not you will need to patch it to 1.4 or it will not work worth a hoot.I do not have the gold version. Now I'm scared. I do not know too much about PC games. I would like you to help me when my game comes in the mail. Thanks.

She-Wolf
02-05-12, 12:27 PM
Radioman, you will still be able to play and enjoy SH4 in plain vanilla, so don't be alarmed, but it would be a better experience with the mods.:DL This grand crowd will help you every step of the way.

peabody
02-05-12, 12:38 PM
I do not have the gold version. Now I'm scared. I do not know too much about PC games. I would like you to help me when my game comes in the mail. Thanks.

The original game was 1.0 or 1.1, I forget, but it had a lot of bugs. But don't worry you can get the 1.4 patch at Ubisoft website to fix a lot of those bugs and it is a free download.

If you enjoy the game, then you can consider getting the Uboat missions add on pack. That runs about $9.99 or if you watch for specials, you may find the gold edition for about the same price and that includes both.
The add on does not just give you uboats but it also updates the original game to 1.5. Most of the major mods use 1.5 but there are still some mods for 1.4.

So don't worry you will be fine. Since you are a beginner you will get a lot of use out of the original version without having the upgrade to 1.5. I got a lot of use out of mine before adding the 1.5.

ReallyDedPoet
02-05-12, 12:56 PM
Welcome :up:

I'm goin' down
02-05-12, 01:46 PM
This will be brief. There are many helpful captains who are regulars here. If you want to blow your mind, visit the Mobo forum and check out Mobo, aaronblood's masterpiece. RSRDC, a supermod, tracks the Japanese navy TFs and Convoys. Armistead can tell you where and when as he has attacked them all.

WernherVonTrapp
02-05-12, 03:10 PM
WELCOME!
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/458c164f.gif

fright52
02-25-12, 11:46 PM
Radio Man, cheers! Welcome to the madness. All you need is the game, computer and a crash course in naval submarines. The manual answers some basic questions, but the people in here are fantastic in helping the "newbies". Former sod pounder myself.
I spent two weeks doing donuts, u-turns and zig-zagging my way around the Pacific, totally lost on navigation. I asked for help and, with the help of three regulars, I can use the compass, ruler and protractor to find my bearings and the enemy! The people in here at Subsim are the greatest!

I'm goin' down
02-26-12, 01:37 AM
WELCOME!
http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/458c164f.gif

Geez Wernher, I did not know you were so classy. I am impressed. Very cool.

WernherVonTrapp
02-26-12, 01:48 AM
Geez Wernher, I did not know you were so classy. I am impressed. Very cool.Yeah, my humble abode. I don't know which I like better as a lawn ornament; the little gnome or the pink flamingo.:haha:

I'm goin' down
02-26-12, 02:15 AM
Yeah, my humble abode. I don't know which I like better as a lawn ornament; the little gnome or the pink flamingo.:haha:

Don't tell anyone, but you a laughing at your own posts. You may need some R&R and I&I. (Or a trip to the Happy Dale Sanitarium.) One thing is very clear, however. You are a man of discriminating tastes. None of those subdivision tract houses for you!!

WernherVonTrapp
02-26-12, 01:53 PM
Don't tell anyone, but you a laughing at your own posts. You should see me while I'm typing them.:har: