PDA

View Full Version : Radar and tdc

smoothsailing
01-15-12, 04:37 PM
Hello all,after learning to play sh4 a little more each day I still have a question.How do you enter the bearing of the enemy sub,your bearing,and range of the enemy sub into the tdc.when using the radars ppi and a scope?

sh4 1.5
new real enviro mod
otc
speech fix

Thanks

Bubblehead1980
01-15-12, 06:59 PM
Hello all,after learning to play sh4 a little more each day I still have a question.How do you enter the bearing of the enemy sub,your bearing,and range of the enemy sub into the tdc.when using the radars ppi and a scope?

sh4 1.5
new real enviro mod
otc
speech fix

Thanks

Can't do it directly from radar unfortunately.

smoothsailing
01-15-12, 09:15 PM
Well then how would input to the tdc when using only the radar.Since there is no way to do it other than the hydrophone tdc switch,I guess you cant fire torpedo with just the radar,I will have to send a ping,right?

I know it is a newby question but I have been in weather where I couldn`t see to get a visual.

TorpX
01-15-12, 10:33 PM
Well then how would input to the tdc when using only the radar.Since there is no way to do it other than the hydrophone tdc switch,I guess you cant fire torpedo with just the radar,I will have to send a ping,right?

I know it is a newby question but I have been in weather where I couldn`t see to get a visual.

Haven't used SH 4 radar, but I would try this:

Use the slide out panals of the periscope TDC, enter the range, bearing and speed. Make sure you click the button and the TDC "receives" the information. This should work, I think. You don't need to raise the scope to do this.

donna52522
01-15-12, 11:08 PM
I believe on the right half of the sonar station you can send a bearing to the TDC, on the left side you can send a range to the TDC if you ping.

TMO2.5 mod has 3D TDC where you can send a radar range and bearing to the TDC in co-operation with the scope. But I have never detected an enemy or friendly submarine on radar before....silhouette must be too low to the water. I only get my first submarine detection by sound.

There is also a stand alone 3D TDC mod.

CapnScurvy
01-17-12, 08:46 PM
Since your using OTC (Optical Targeting Correction), as TorpX says, take the found target radar range to the Attack Periscope station and slide out the "Attack Data Tool" by clicking the TAB at the top/right side of the screen. Setting the targets found radar range with the OTC Range Dial, and clicking the "Send" button on the Attack Data Tool will update the TDC/Position Keeper. The range dial maximum setting is 6200 yards, so any radar range over this distance need not be inputted into the TDC anyway, you're too far away to expect an accurate firing solution from the computer. The "relative bearing" of the found radar target is used on the Navigation Map to plot and plan your approach and interception of the target. The bearing has no real meaning to the TDC. There are only three things which need to be correctly inputted into the TDC/Position Keeper in order to make a firing solution.

Range to target
Speed of target
Angle on Bow of target

All can be inputted through the Attack Data Tool. Turning "on" the Position Keeper will give you a running account of where the target should be with the three pieces of information you "sent" to the computer. Remember though, the Position Keeper's account is ONLY as accurate as the information you inputted. That's why you check and double check your inputted information to make sure it's as accurate as possible. The game accounts for greater errors when the target is far away, less so the closer the target gets. Make sure you check and recheck your 3 parts of the solution for accuracy, right up to the firing time.

Since you're new to manual targeting make sure you read the information in the tutorials of OTC. The PDF "How to use Radar" should be a good start. So could the "High Realism Tutorial" that will explain the TDC/Position Keeper dials and how to plot a target on the Nav Map without having the target ship image seen on the map.

Oh, and welcome to SUBSIM!!

Nisgeis
01-19-12, 05:23 PM
Welcome Smoothsailing!

In the simplified SH4 targetting, you need four pieces of information to solve the gyro angle problem. Range, Target Speed, Target Course (AoB) and Target Bearing. If you don't have target bearing, then your torpedoes won't hit. As has been said by others, you can enter target bearing and range through the periscope. Range and Bearing are entered at the same time, so make sure your crosshairs are on the target (or the target's bearing) when you send the range and you should be fine.

smoothsailing
01-20-12, 08:23 AM
Wow lots of replys,such great people,such great help.I appreciate the replys to all.

I took the otc out for now because I had a screen flicker and go out on me inthe middle of a game and would not come back on,and I was trying to figure out what was causing the screen to go out.

I can input the range and speed and angle on bow from the stadumeter.So I guess my question would be Is the only way to input the bearing of the enemy or my bearing is by a visual or by the sonar and pinger screen?I cannot input the bearings of mine and the enemy sub by the radar.I was asking becaude it is a compicated game and wanted to make sure I was not missing something.

Without the mods I pick up radar signals at about 30,000 nm and do not pick up sound signals untill about 12,000 nm before my sonar man picks up the sound contact,a liittle farther if I listen myself.

By the way as a beginner,this is one of the greated games ever,especially on high realism.It is very cool to sink a ship without looking at it directly.

Nisgeis
01-20-12, 02:50 PM
No, there's no way to enter radar range or bearing from anywhere other than the stadimeter. You can send the sonar bearing to the TDC, but that's just as awkward and you can only send the ping range as well. It's a pain, but that's the way it is. If you do find a way to send from radar though, be sure to let us know :-).