PDA

View Full Version : Deep running torpedo fix date?

IonicRipper
01-13-12, 03:52 PM
Greetings fellow skippers :salute:

I know the torps the US navy supplies us runs about 10 feet deeper due to not being calibrated with the warheads (or something like that :88))
Does anyone know the approximate date this is fixed? And what i should set my torpedo depth at when it will be fixed for a good keel shot on magnetic detonators?
I grew so accustomed to these deep running fishes i know i'll screw up a few times :haha:

P.S. Not running TMO, RFB or RSRDC, just a few various small mods.

WernherVonTrapp
01-13-12, 05:34 PM
I'm not sure of the exact date but I think most (or all) of the torpedo problems were ironed out around Sept. 43.

breadcatcher101
01-13-12, 09:26 PM
That sounds about right to me as well, about halfway through the war.

They switched from the faulty magnetic to contacts and realized those were not dependable as well.

breadcatcher101
01-13-12, 09:27 PM
Wow, that was post #500 for me.

Hope I was right.

(sound of cork popping)

IonicRipper
01-13-12, 10:29 PM
Yet only 1 download :p

Im at the beginning of 1944, i'll give it a try. how much feet lower under the keel should i set my torps to test this?

TorpX
01-13-12, 10:42 PM
Yet only 1 download :p

Im at the beginning of 1944, i'll give it a try. how much feet lower under the keel should i set my torps to test this?

Not sure how it is in the game without mods, but by '44 they are as good as they are going to get. ;)

IonicRipper
01-14-12, 05:15 PM
Definitely fixed, now i can go for shots under the keel :D

donna52522
01-14-12, 07:16 PM
Definitely fixed, now i can go for shots under the keel :D

Like your Sig, looks familiar....lol

IonicRipper
01-14-12, 07:27 PM
Woah! What a coincidence! :eek:

merc4ulfate
01-14-12, 10:02 PM
I always set mine to the most shallowest setting no matter what time of the war it is.

USS Drum
01-14-12, 10:09 PM
Same here.

IonicRipper
01-15-12, 11:35 AM
But you can do so much more damage with a good shot directly under the engine room. I remember sinking large ships with a single torpedo this way.

Platapus
01-15-12, 11:50 AM
I always set mine to the most shallowest setting no matter what time of the war it is.

Same here. Shallow setting, impact only.

I don't think the Mk 6 Magnetic exploder's problems were fixed during WWII, were they?

Did any of the more successful US Submarine captains use magnetic pistols even in the later years of the war?

Hylander_1314
01-15-12, 11:57 AM
As far as I can tell, they used contact detonators through the end of the war. IWon't say that is all they did, as I'm sure some skippers probably used the magnetic detonators to try and break the keel of the ships.

merc4ulfate
01-15-12, 01:30 PM
The only time I rely on the magnetic detonators is if I have a shot at a gun boat. They are shallow draft and I have never been able to hit one with a contact because the fish goes under the boat even on the shallowest setting. Sometimes I get the feeling they do not do as much damage as a contact ... but maybe that is just me ...

TorpX
01-15-12, 10:20 PM
I don't think the Mk 6 Magnetic exploder's problems were fixed during WWII, were they?

Did any of the more successful US Submarine captains use magnetic pistols even in the later years of the war?

There are some misconceptions about the Mark 6 exploder. It was not possible to 'switch' between magnetic and impact settings. The exploder was designed to detonate by magnetic influence or impact. It worked very poorly. Some captains, in violation of orders, had their torpedomen take apart and disable the magnetic feature of the Mk 6 before the start of their patrols. This was not reversable.

Later, after tests at Pearl Harbor revealed that there were impact detonation failures, light alloy components were used to make an improved model. I don't know the details of how well these worked or if they retained the magnetic influence feature of the original Mk 6. Finally, a completely redesigned exploder was produced. It was an electrical design and eliminated the impact failure problem. It had no magnetic influence feature. I believe it entered service about 18 months after the outbreak of war.

Even after the Mk 6 exploder problems were dealt with, problems cropped up. The electric torpedos seemed to have many problems, as they were new, and were manufactured by contract, by companies that had no previous experience with torpedos.

This, of course, is a over-simplification. :)