PDA

View Full Version : Is land artillery destroyable?

Slayer_42
01-08-12, 09:03 PM
Howdy
Title pretty much sums up the question. Is land artillery destroyable?
I just made a quick mod to add x24 magnification on the deck gun sights and seemed to be nailing an artillery piece from about 6KM away but nothing happened to it.

CCIP
01-08-12, 09:44 PM
In a word, no.

In fairness, no sub-based artillery would ever be a match for a reinforced coastal defense battery, and there isn't even close to a comparison in terms of accuracy or protection. So there isn't really a reason for these to be made destructible in game.

TorpX
01-08-12, 10:12 PM
AFAIK, all land objects, in general, are indestructable. I tried to design a training mission where the crew could fire at various land units on a small island, but as you found out, they can be hit, but to no purpose. I'm not sure if it is even possible to destroy guns of merchant ships. (Nobody seems to do it.)

Someone did come up with a mod where you could go somewhere on a mission and shell some buildings and take them out, but I don't know the details. At least, it IS possible.

Slayer_42
01-09-12, 01:21 AM
Ok cheers guys. haha i guess im gunna have to relocate to darwyn! haha

peabody
01-09-12, 01:53 AM
AFAIK, all land objects, in general, are indestructable.

Someone did come up with a mod where you could go somewhere on a mission and shell some buildings and take them out, but I don't know the details. At least, it IS possible.

Yes, basically to make it destructable you make the land object a ship. I am not sure, but you could try iambecomelife, I think it might be one of his projects. I believe he made a factory.

Peabody

urbanowl
01-09-12, 12:25 PM
I think no.

WernherVonTrapp
01-09-12, 05:04 PM
Probably no more/less destroyable than our Battleships' 16" guns were able to accomplish at Tarawa, Saipan, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, Etc..

TorpX
01-09-12, 08:31 PM
Yes, basically to make it destructable you make the land object a ship. I am not sure, but you could try iambecomelife, I think it might be one of his projects. I believe he made a factory.

Peabody

Thank-you. Hard to remember all these things.

It's not a bad idea. If someone could put some generic destructable items in the campaign, this could make some of the 'special missions' more worthwhile.

Edit:

Does anyone know if the guns of merchant ships are destructable? I've never heard of anyone being able to take them out.

Platapus
01-09-12, 08:45 PM
BTW, enemy land based artillery has a much longer range and greater accuracy than any boat.

Trust me on this. I .. uh.. collected data during a field experiment. :oops:

I barely got away :O:

JuergenSchT
01-12-12, 05:08 PM
I'm not sure if it is even possible to destroy guns of merchant ships.
Well, they can be destroyed. I was with a Porpoise class on 1941 on Japanese waters, and I had already spent 4 torpedoes on a merchant. So I decided to wait for the night and sink it with my deck gun. So I carefully approach the ship, and try to aim for its rear deck gun. I fire, and I take it down. Of course, I was playing in stock game, 80% realism.

In summary, all guns in a warship or merchant (wether they are 1" or 16") can be destroyed.

Sailor Steve
01-12-12, 05:19 PM
If the 16" gun can be destroyed, something is wrong. Yes, they could be, but not by a 5" submarine deck gun.

JuergenSchT
01-12-12, 06:22 PM
If the 16" gun can be destroyed, something is wrong. Yes, they could be, but not by a 5" submarine deck gun.
'Must have been my poor writing. Well, they could be destroyed, but by another similar sized gun.

TorpX
01-12-12, 10:41 PM
Well, they can be destroyed. I was with a Porpoise class on 1941 on Japanese waters, and I had already spent 4 torpedoes on a merchant. So I decided to wait for the night and sink it with my deck gun. So I carefully approach the ship, and try to aim for its rear deck gun. I fire, and I take it down. Of course, I was playing in stock game, 80% realism.

In summary, all guns in a warship or merchant (wether they are 1" or 16") can be destroyed.

This is good to know. :salute:

Sailor Steve
01-13-12, 01:48 AM
'Must have been my poor writing. Well, they could be destroyed, but by another similar sized gun.
Ah, I see. Sorry about that. :sunny: