PDA

View Full Version : My Number One Gets a Steak Dinner...

breadcatcher101
01-05-12, 03:15 PM
(and I get an eye exam).

We were on patrol, just out with a full load of fish when we picked up a contact. In checking it out at last we spotted it, way off, a slight haze, but in these waters probably Japanese.

Take her down and plot a course!

Speed is about 8 knots, getting closer, we are on a good track.

Up scope!

Ah, there she is, a Nip at that, and with that size tub, no use to waste a fish on her, we will do her in with our deck gun in these calm seas.

My number one wants a peek, so sure.

He has the balls to suggest to me it appears to be a larger ship than the "tub" I mentioned.

I reminded him I was the boss here and while I respect his view we are going to do it my way.

General quarters! Gun crew stand by, surface the boat.

I am the first on the bridge and through my glasses the ship just doesn't look quite right--must be the angle.

Number one is there of course, he is due a boat of his own soon and again he questions my orders.

Gun crew--open fire, as I light my cigar. I enjoy a good smoke while watching the effect of shellfire on these Japanese.

First shot--a hit!

Good shooting I yell from the bridge! Give them hell!

I hear another shot, very weak, a dud, maybe??

My number one yells we are being fired upon and not by small caliber.

Looking up from my smoke and in the direction of number ones pointed hand I see at once his observation was indeed correct--this was no tub, but what?

No time to ID him--crash dive and be quick about it!

We got below okay, and we did manage to send him to the bottom with a couple of torpedos, but when we get back to base my number one is going to eat like a king!

TorpX
01-06-12, 12:29 AM
Well, don't keep us guessing. Was it a destroyer?

breadcatcher101
01-06-12, 10:00 AM
I thought it was a small old split, sure looked like it from the angle she was at. I wanted to stay out of range of her small guns so I surfaced far at a distance to where we would be out of their range.

As it turned out is was a med old split--with large guns. The crew wasn't the best in their aim, but I didn't want to risk them improving, so we crash dived.

In the book "Silent Victory" I recall reading about a capt who was "blind as a bat". Don't recall his name, but from now own my "name" will be his.

The only time a destroyer surprised me was one of those "sleepers" they tend to keep dead in the water as the rest of the group sails on. That was a very close call.

WernherVonTrapp
01-06-12, 12:05 PM
As it turned out is was a med old split--with large guns...Well, that might be worth a cigarhttp://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/e67e12c2.gifbut not a steak dinner. A Fleet Carrier, Battleship or Large Modern Tanker, now that's worth a steak dinner.http://i1045.photobucket.com/albums/b456/archangel501/Smileys/6671f006.gif:D