PDA

View Full Version : Worlds Fastest Tutorial TDC torpedo video

Cpt-Maxim
12-31-11, 12:53 PM
(You need to set realism around 100% to visually see all the controls that easy mode doesnt offer.)

Got 4 minutes? It's that easy. Really short on time? This is how to drag the stadimeter twice to get range on the enemy the mast height, and click the speed estimator once, followed by rotating the dial according to the chat window telling you the heading of the enemy ship.. and boom!

Four simple functions you need to accomplish - that are broken down and explained so fast, you will be back in game in short order.. unless you have to watch the video more than once.

Go ahead and pause while playing along on the Borneo convoy single player quick mission.. and you will shoot torps at the exact same ship in my tutorial for comparison.. I never moved my sub from the spawn in location.. just immediately raised scope and started hitting the same ship multiple times after sending two spreads of 3 torps each ..

Check out my 4 minute video guide on youtube and see how to play in "hard mode" using the manual targeting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tri5B-XxInE&list=UUTjpOGv8gmH9KP-7YoRuPQA&index=1&feature=plcp

disclaimer: video not ready for prime time hollywood critics, but I did the voiceover after the mission was recorded.. so I made a verbal error saying I set several degrees spread to the right when I should have said left.. was talking too fast and goofed. You can increase the accuracy by using the ship identificaton manual and clicking the correct ship, but I decided to keep this more as a "shoot from the hip" quick guide.

Sailor Steve
12-31-11, 01:38 PM
Very nice! Maybe even I can figure it out with that. :doh:

Able Brown
01-06-12, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the video but, being fairly green, m I am not sure I get how you can manually target the staditomer range without identifying the mast height in the recogition manual. Is there somewhere that the height is enetered without the manual?

Dignan
01-07-12, 12:22 AM
Cpt Maxim,

This is very intriguing. I'm interested in what you've got here but am having a tough time following exactly what it is you're doing from your video. Could you explain the steps you took to get your firing solution, step by step? Is this a legit targeting method or is it just exploiting a glitch/programming loophole in the game? Thanks. :up:

CAPT Dignan

Rockin Robbins
01-07-12, 11:00 AM
On your first firing your AOB was off by way too far to get a hit. Your input showed you looking at the stern quarter when the AOB was MUCH closer to 90º. Not having a masthead height meant that the range findings were garbage. You NEVER entered target speed at all, instead relying on the game's auto speed and course function, which was messed up by your failure to know what the masthead height was.

In short, any hits at all were pure luck. I did love your video technique. Maybe hurried, but clear and well executed, with the exception that you called left right. That's something that's all to easy to do and the video clearly showed that you were spreading left. You need to make some more videos!

Interestingly, what you did was historically a lot closer to how real submarines operated, with about the same resulting hit percentages as happened in the real war! They had basically no idea what the mast heights were, and used their recognition manuals to misidentify their targets or simple rules of thumb on deck height to estimate masthead height.

The Japanese were very crafty, knowing how that was done and camouflaging their boats to make them look a different size than they really were, usually to make them look larger than they were to mess up our range finding ability. It worked well, leaving tonnage overestimated by double the real size of the typical target. It would also make the estimated range twice as short as it really was. That would also make estimated speed half of what it really was. You can call that a clean miss.

American sub captains weren't UTTERLY stupid. They assumed errors in their targeting and set up spreads of way over 100% of target length. Of course, if you're spreading torpedoes across a length greater than what you are shooting at, that means you've willingly wasted some torpedoes to get one or two to hit. That was the price of victory and they paid it, but probably not with a smile.

Final judgment: a technique full of flaws, just like the real submarines in WWII! Your hit percentage was about what they could expect for non-radar targeting. When Dick O'Kane's radar went out, he sent a sarcastic message back to Pearl, saying in effect "there goes half of my torpedoes--wasted!" Coincidence? NOT.:salute:

Loudspeaker
01-07-12, 03:04 PM
I think it was fun to watch your video, and as a skipper you sure are blessed with plenty of good luck, which is not bad at all :yeah:

However, I strongly recomend the TDC tutorials made by legendary Werner Sobe in this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795

TorpX
01-07-12, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the video but, being fairly green, m I am not sure I get how you can manually target the staditomer range without identifying the mast height in the recogition manual. Is there somewhere that the height is enetered without the manual?

In recent versions of RFB (and maybe other mods) one can drag the mast height ring to any value you choose. This is very handy as one can keep it at a default value of, say 90 ft., and make preliminary calculations on this basis, before you are close enough to identify the target ship.

Loudspeaker
01-08-12, 06:30 AM
In recent versions of RFB (and maybe other mods) one can drag the mast height ring to any value you choose. This is very handy as one can keep it at a default value of, say 90 ft., and make preliminary calculations on this basis, before you are close enough to identify the target ship.

Thanks for this splendid hint.