PDA

View Full Version : Pies made of humble and Recog' Manuals...

Stargazer
12-18-11, 04:28 PM
Hi,

The last time I was on these forums, somewhere between 6-12 months ago, I made quite an angry post about the Silent Hunter series being a total waste of time.

As it happens, I was spectacularly wrong. And for my outburst, I apologise.

Since then, I have been able to build myself my dream-PC and I'm discovering PC gaming all over again. My old one had to reduce graphics settings for anything released around 2006 and later... And it would seem that Ubisoft Romania were a tad optimistic about what they expected SH4 to run on.

But I'm up and running again, not had any crashes yet and I'm happy again. So I'm relearning the sim and getting acquainted with it and have already come accross something that I'm hopping you can help me with.

Being very new t this and not quite as hardcore as many in these parts, I'd like a little in-game assistance. I'm looking for one of two things. Either a way to get the recognition manual to open directly to the page that I require, or a pdf document that I can download and print out so that I can flip through a ring-binder whenever I need to identify and size up a target.

It would appear that there have been plenty of the latter over the years, but all the links to the download hosts have long been deleted or expired.

Could someone hook me up with a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Hylander_1314
12-18-11, 06:24 PM
Cool Stargazer! Glad you got a nice new shiny rig! It's always nice to be able to upgrade when you can. I know. I couldn't play SH4 for 3 years because of an old outdated PC. But the wait was worth it!

And after GWX came out, my old rig was the "Little ngine who was more optimistic, than it could deliver".

As for the recognition book, I don't know of a way to get it to open to the exact page for the ship you are looking at. It's one of those, you have to decide if you have picked the right target in the book.

As for a printable version, I wouldn't know of any personally, so I can't help there.

I suppose you could go digging around in the game folders for the artfiles used. Not sure what format the images are for the book, but they are probably .dds or .tga files. Either way, you would need to convert them to something like .bmp, or .jpg format and open them up in Windows Picture Viewer, which has a print option.

When you get a chance, post the specs on the shiny new hotrod!

I'm goin' down
12-18-11, 07:46 PM
Download OM/OMEGU/KIUB in the ATO forum. It is set up so you can go to the page of the target. However, you are in a UBoat. If you are in an American boat in the Pacific, I am not aware of a way to open the RM to the target. There is no mod either.

For mods, go the Mods forum and look at the sticky by Neal Stevens called "Popular Mods ...."

peabody
12-18-11, 09:40 PM
Hi,

or a pdf document that I can download and print out so that I can flip through a ring-binder whenever I need to identify and size up a target.

It would appear that there have been plenty of the latter over the years, but all the links to the download hosts have long been deleted or expired.

Could someone hook me up with a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

You could make a 'printout' using the images from the rec manual. The images I think come from Data/Sea/Shipname/Shipname_sil.dds (or shipname_sil.tga, I forgot which).
For example the NCA_Takao would be the file "NCA_Takao_sil.dds."

But I think it would be a waste of time, since you have to identify and "select" the ship in the Rec manual anyway to send mast height to the TDC. But if you want a pdf, that is where to get the files.

Peabody

magic452
12-19-11, 02:28 AM
Welcome back Stargazer. :salute:

As far as the RM goes if you are running TMO 2.0 or 2.2 there is a button on the orders bar (periscope view) that will ID the target ship for you and send the hight to the TDC. You need V1.5 for these mods. Older TMO also have this button but am not sure if a V1.4 version does.

Good luck and good hunting

Magic

Jan Kyster
12-19-11, 11:19 AM
I got nothing... :nope:

Except this pdf "1943 Recognition Manual" may be of any use? http://www.mediafire.com/?hebchi18kph2eer

Stargazer
12-19-11, 01:24 PM
Many thanks for the replies.

I'm downloading the 1939 doc as I type and will give it a once over this evening to see if it is what I'm looking for. If it isn't, I'll have a look at the game files to see if I can extract the data that way.

Though having a paper copy may seem just as inefficient as paging through the software book, I find that you cant click through the software book (in periscope view) really quickly.

Also, if I had a paper copy, I could file them in alphabetical order by name and then go straight to the section I require in a fraction of the time it would take normally.

I've not yet delved into any of the megamods, in my first stint with SH4 a while back, the one that pleased me the most was GFO. Granted, the other mods probably made SH4 more complete, but it was the little things that made me yearn for just the core fixes.

Thank you again for all the advice, I'll put the office printer to good use tomorrow I think.

Cheers,

Rob.

HW3
12-19-11, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the link Jan Kyster!

:salute:

Jan Kyster
12-25-11, 07:55 PM
Looking for something else :D came across this "Imperial Navy Ship Recognition Manual" by Centred75 from 2007...

Release thread: http://174.123.69.202/~subsimc/radioroom/showthread.php?p=594467

D/L link: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-01905726.html

Stargazer
12-26-11, 06:06 AM
Fan-flaming-tastic!!!

Thank you very much. I shall print this out immediatley and stick it in a ring binder. Should make a very nice addition to my desk.

Thanks again,

Rob.