PDA

View Full Version : 'The General'

gavain2
12-16-11, 06:26 PM
if there are any old lags like myself who have fond memories of Avalon Hill and it's magazine 'The General' I have just found a website which has ALL the 'General' issues on disk for £3.99. I have ordered it even if just to read some of the great games they published, I still have some

Anyone interested let me know If they want the address. It is in the UK

gavain2

Raider M
12-16-11, 08:29 PM
Gavain2,
I would be very interested in ordering four of these. War at Sea, Victory in the Pacific, and many more Avalon Hill games are in my 'bookshelf' right now. In the 80's The General carried many AH game 'variants' that are very difficult to obtain today. Thank you very much for this info.

Sailor Steve
12-16-11, 08:35 PM
Good news! Of course I remember 'The General'. I've been playing tabletop and board wargames since 1977. :sunny:

Torplexed
12-16-11, 11:01 PM
I still have most of my old issues of the General from between 1978 and 1992. :cool: Even though I no longer play the games I still find the historical information useful.

http://pyxis.homestead.com/Generals.jpg

TorpX
12-17-11, 12:53 AM
Yep, I remember those. Still have some of them.

Some of my friends and I used to do the macro-game with Panzer Leader.

WernherVonTrapp
12-17-11, 04:42 AM
:oWow, you're going waaaay back. I used to play those in the early 70s. I had Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/Squad_Leader_game.jpg

http://tonysebooks.com/images/panzerblitz/combined_logo.jpg

I have no recollection of what happened to those games. Don't even remember how they were played. That's how long ago it was.:hmmm:

gavain2
12-17-11, 05:07 AM
Gavain2,
I would be very interested in ordering four of these. War at Sea, Victory in the Pacific, and many more Avalon Hill games are in my 'bookshelf' right now. In the 80's The General carried many AH game 'variants' that are very difficult to obtain today. Thank you very much for this info.
.................................................. .................................................. .
Not sure if he has individual issues but look here:

www.tonysbooks.com (http://www.tonysbooks.com) or products@tonysbooks.com

As I said you can order a complete set for £3.99. I don't know where you are but I am sure you can buy these on the set!

glad it helped someone. I still play many boardgames also. If you want a solitaire U-Boat game look on 'boardgamegeek' at 'U-Boat Leader' by DAn Verssen. very good game! I have 4 of his. Any other info on his games I have let me know if you want some
gavain2

Sailor Steve
12-17-11, 11:35 AM
Is there a direct link to buy the disc. The price is great! :rock:

[edit] Never mind. I found a US source for a great price. :sunny:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dvd+magazines+the+general&_sacat=See-All-Categories

gavain2
12-17-11, 12:19 PM
Is there a direct link to buy the disc. The price is great! :rock:

[edit] Never mind. I found a US source for a great price. :sunny:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=dvd+magazines+the+general&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Hey, that's good so I'm not the only old fogie here. My pal has shown me his and it is absolutely complete

But yes, there is a direct link, Have I woken a 'sleeping giant' here??

gavain2

Sailor Steve
12-17-11, 01:01 PM
Hey, that's good so I'm not the only old fogie here.
I've posted a couple of threads in General Topics about my grandkids, and I'm a long way from being the oldest member, being a fairly sprightly sixty-one. :sunny:

TorpX
12-18-11, 02:47 AM
I have no recollection of what happened to those games. Don't even remember how they were played. That's how long ago it was.:hmmm:

Gawd....I can remember how they were played. It wasn't THAT long ago.

Land war strategy games were my favorites, until I was corrupted by Silent Hunter Comander's Edition. ;)

WernherVonTrapp
12-18-11, 07:04 AM
Gawd....I can remember how they were played. It wasn't THAT long ago.:O:Almost 40 years ago is long enough for me. I can't remember the names of most of the people in my High School graduation class, including my home room classmates.

Platapus
12-18-11, 08:45 AM
Very fond memories of AH games from back in the 70's. :yep:

Armistead
12-18-11, 11:35 AM
Only war games I played in the early 70's I guess was picking up a stick and calling it a gun..bang bang....Kid's back then had to be creative.

Pisces
12-18-11, 02:13 PM
Shouldn't this thread actually be in the General Topics forum, instead of Silent Hunter 4?

Sailor Steve
12-18-11, 02:24 PM
Shouldn't this thread actually be in the General Topics forum, instead of Silent Hunter 4?
Yes, or possibly General Games. That said, the last time I mentioned that I was very loudly ignored. :sunny:

Sailor Steve
12-30-11, 02:00 PM
My copy came yesterday, and it's on my PC now. Everything is as advertised - the entire run of the magazine and a bunch of extras. No complaints here. :rock:

gavain2
12-30-11, 03:27 PM
My copy came yesterday, and it's on my PC now. Everything is as advertised - the entire run of the magazine and a bunch of extras. No complaints here. :rock:
.................................................. .................................................. ...Yes, I'm enjoying mine also. Lots of memories of wonderful games, sadly all disappeared with the advent of Computer games.

I do also play many board wargames also, by the way I'm just a little older than you.

That's why I've recommended some very good gasmes by Dan Verssen Games over ther in the US, especially if one struggles now to find likeminded people for board games DVG games are all solitaire one and excellent

Gavain2

And A Happy New Year to you

Sailor Steve
12-30-11, 04:19 PM
I do also play many board wargames also, by the way I'm just a little older than you.
But not by much. :D

I play more tabletop miniatures games, as I like to build and paint things. I've been slowly plodding along with my own naval rules for a couple of decades now. I have a friend who has developed what I consider to be the absolute best army and flight rules, as well as an incredible Grand Prix race game, none of them published, but much played. :sunny:

Hylander_1314
12-30-11, 10:42 PM
Outta all my old tabletop games, I still have The Luftwaffe left. Had quite a few of them from the old days. Loved France 1940, and The Blue Max. Had one that encompassed the The Pacific, but the name slips my memory.

Cool games, but difficult to find people who liked playing them. Dad and I would sometimes play them on cold winter afternoons.

What was cool though about computer games was that it didn't require having an opponent. And it's amazing how the AI has changed over the years compared o the old 486DX2 days.

Aside from the sub games, flight sims like Battle of Britain II WOV, and Over Flanders Fields have some of the best AI ever, and they keep getting better with every tweak.

gavain2
12-31-11, 06:56 AM
But not by much. :D

I play more tabletop miniatures games, as I like to build and paint things. I've been slowly plodding along with my own naval rules for a couple of decades now. I have a friend who has developed what I consider to be the absolute best army and flight rules, as well as an incredible Grand Prix race game, none of them published, but much played. :sunny:
.................................................. ................................................

I have 'Formula De'. Which is very good, Still play 'Omaha Beach' by VG games, Panzer Gruppe Guderian, aand many Napoleonic era games.

gavain2

Sailor Steve
12-31-11, 09:44 AM
I have 'Formula De'. Which is very good,
Personally I thought it was kind of generic. Every car is the same, every season is the same. My friend's game lets you run any season, all of which have differing car and driver stats, and tracks that reflect the changes that take place over the years. Unfortunately we were never able to sell it. That didn't stop a lot of people from playing it, going back to 1973. :sunny: