PDA

View Full Version : A new way to think of the game.

I'm goin' down
07-31-11, 05:58 PM
The Optical Training Correction by CapnScurvy is the place to start.

Foget the supermods, except RSRDC v550 and patch. Activate both of them. Then activate OTC.

Head to the kitchen and add to the stock game either Pacific Environment and Real Environmnent, the 360 degree bearing tool and various mini mods, but not the Easy Aob. Set the game on manual targeting without map contacts. Learn how to plot course and speed with either plotting using sonar readings or the 3D TDC and Radar Range mod. Activate CapnScruvy's US sub radar from the beginning of the war, and it will enable you to track aircraft as well as ships on the radar screen. You are set to roll.

The game slows down considerably. High tonnage claims will be much harder to achieve, and lots of work goes into planning an attack. But the OTC mod is a terrific piece of modding, and I think is a viable candidate for mod of the year. CapnScurvy provides an excellent tutorial for the mod, and explains the radar systems quite well. The game is tougher than when using the Easy Aob mod, but the OTC is not as complex and not as time consuming as the 3D TDC and radar range mod.)

Armistead
07-31-11, 08:10 PM
I keep looking at it, but not willing yet to let go of my mod setup, mostly TMO.

Keep hoping he'll get it to work with the supermods.

Your post is interesting, it would certainly bring plotting to a new level, but with contacts off with the radar mod, not yet ready to let go of the rest.

Bubblehead1980
08-01-11, 01:14 AM
I would try it if worked with TMO and RSRD together. Not willing to go back to stock with RSRD and a few others

Bubblehead1980
08-01-11, 01:22 AM
I would try it if worked with TMO and RSRD together because it looks like a great mod. Not willing to go back to stock with RSRD and a few others though.

Daniel Prates
08-01-11, 02:44 PM
I would try it if worked with TMO and RSRD together because it looks like a great mod. Not willing to go back to stock with RSRD and a few others though.

That is a good point.

TorpX
08-01-11, 07:31 PM
I feel the same. I play RFB and have no desire to start over, or go back to stock.

I'm goin' down
08-01-11, 08:02 PM
I guess it depends what drives your fancy. I enjoy the attack, and the sophistication of the OTC mod. I have played TMO for several years, but I am do not notice that I am not using TMO when I have tasks to complete using OTC with manual targeting. I have not faced a convoy or TF yet, so I may have a different opinion if the dds are not as touch as TMO.

I'm goin' down
08-02-11, 01:17 AM
By the way, the OTC tutorials include one on radar. It is a great tutorial. CapnScurvy has reworked the radar screens, and fully explains the different types and how they differ. He also has a feature (shift key + 'x' key) to raise the scope underwater to conduct and air search. Again, you will have to be playing a full realism for this to work, but it adds a feature missing from the game.

Dogfish40
08-02-11, 08:54 AM
I guess it depends what drives your fancy. I enjoy the attack, and the sophistication of the OTC mod. I have played TMO for several years, but I am do not notice that I am not using TMO when I have tasks to complete using OTC with manual targeting. I have not faced a convoy or TF yet, so I may have a different opinion if the dds are not as touch as TMO.

As far as the DD's go, I think there are one or two small mods out there to enhance the DD's a bit. I'm sure I've seen at least one that makes them more responsive.
D40