PDA

View Full Version : My computer really seems to hate mods (RSRD problem)

f4wildweasel
07-25-11, 01:49 AM
It's probably the RAM... maybe the video card. I need to upgrade this thing, hopefully one day I'll have the funds to do so...
Anyways when I start RSRD the menu loads fine, I start a new career, look over my boat data, and start a patrol. The loading bar begins to progress, but as soon as it fills, the game cuts to the desktop and I get the sh4.exe has stopped working message.
After both TMO and RFB proved too much for my computer to handle (randomly cutting out after a set amount of time in-game, most likely due to overheating or a memory error) I was hoping this mod would work better. For comparison, OM and WDAD both work fine (I'm guessing that the map and world displays are simpler, thus putting less stress on my computer).
Anyways, if there's a simple fix to this problem (again, immediate CTD after the patrol loading screen) I'd be very grateful to know it. If it's another instance of simply pushing the hardware too far, that's fine, too.
Here's all the tech data:
Windows Vista 32x SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA 8600m GT (yes it's a laptop, it was a going to college present, and beggars can't be choosers)
DX 10

Mod installed onto SH4 v 1.5 (u-boat missions) with no other active mods via JSGME in the following order:
1)RSRDC_SH15_V550
2)RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
-f4

WernherVonTrapp
07-25-11, 07:09 AM
Well, Im no expert but, I do have a suggestion that might work. RAM sticks are generally cheap these days. Shop around, find out how much RAM your system is capable of handling (should be more than 2GB for sure) and toss in maybe 2GB more. Then, go into your system BIOS, check your shared video RAM settings and crank it up (if need be) a notch or two, or even max it out.
If this doesn't work, at least the cost of the RAM shouldn't be too much of a loss.

Another thing you can try before upgrading your RAM, and if you haven't done this already, is to set up your laptop for maximum performance.
Right click on "My Computer."
Choose "Advanced Settings."
Choose "Advanced" tab.
Under "Performace" click "Settings"
Choose "Adjust for best performance."

Your PC won't look as pretty but, it'll run a lot faster and smoother.

f4wildweasel
07-25-11, 10:58 AM
nope, manual says the max is 2GB. If that's the source of the problem, I guess I'm stuck with it for a while. Oh well, back to OM for me.

While optimizing for performance really brought back that nostalgic Win 95 feel (do you have to wait for the computer to say "it's now safe" before powering off?) it had no effect on RSRD (still a CTD after the loading of a patrol and the "please wait" bit).

WernherVonTrapp
07-25-11, 11:20 AM
While optimizing for performance really brought back that nostalgic Win 95 feel (do you have to wait for the computer to say "it's now safe" before powering off?) it had no effect on RSRD (still a CTD after the loading of a patrol and the "please wait" bit).I have both a desktop and a laptop and don't recall ever seeing a "it's now safe" message. Too bad about the RAM. I thought for sure, being a dual-core system, it would take at least 4GB. Gee, I hope it's not a Dell PC.:nope: Anyway, you can always set the performance back to it's original settings.

Mescator
07-26-11, 06:35 AM
I doubt the RAM is a issue, Especially if OM runs. Despite not being ideal, I've seen far more demanding games load into 2gig systems with Virtual Memory taking up the slack. Assuming you have it turned on of course.

I'd wager there's a software problem or your mods were downloaded corrupted.

WernherVonTrapp
07-26-11, 08:01 AM
Isn't "Virtual Memory" taken from the HD? If he has a 5400RPM HD, that would equate to a much slower tranfer rate than RAM. Even a 7200RPM drive would be slower than RAM. I doubt tweaking the size of the Page File would speed it up enough.:hmmm: I've never tried it myself but, I wonder if using a thumb drive to speed up the PC would be of any benefit. Without a dedicated graphics card, I think his options are somewhat limited.

GreyBeard
07-26-11, 08:52 AM

I agree with that statement. Every time I've had a ctd problem with SH4 I always found it to be a conflict or corruption of some sort. As for additional ram, you might try readyboost. A 2gb drive is very cheap and will help. Just be certain it's readyboost certified. I have 4gb of ram, installed a 4gb thumb drive and found it eliminated stutters in a racing program (GPL) I use sometimes. I seem to remember the drive should not exceed the size of your physical ram, but I could be wrong on that one. A search on the net will offer plenty of info though.

Mescator
07-27-11, 03:40 AM
Isn't "Virtual Memory" taken from the HD? If he has a 5400RPM HD, that would equate to a much slower tranfer rate than RAM. Even a 7200RPM drive would be slower than RAM. I doubt tweaking the size of the Page File would speed it up enough.:hmmm: I've never tried it myself but, I wonder if using a thumb drive to speed up the PC would be of any benefit. Without a dedicated graphics card, I think his options are somewhat limited.

You are correct, it is significantly slower, HOWEVER it works. Programs will run, perhaps poorer with longer load times and the occasional hang, but they shouldn't crash.

WernherVonTrapp
07-28-11, 06:32 AM
You are correct, it is significantly slower, HOWEVER it works. Programs will run, perhaps poorer with longer load times and the occasional hang, but they shouldn't crash.On the contrary, you're right.:D However, I never said Virtual Memory didn't work, or that it was causing his PC game to crash. I did imply that I don't believe it is the answer to his problem though.:up:

Armistead
07-28-11, 07:05 AM
I doubt the RAM is a issue, Especially if OM runs. Despite not being ideal, I've seen far more demanding games load into 2gig systems with Virtual Memory taking up the slack. Assuming you have it turned on of course.

That depends how many other programs and services are running in the background and newer versions of Windows are a hog. Most default settings uses the greater share of processor and memory to run programs, instead of services or cache, also the size of your paging file comes into play, but I feel the issue here is just lack of specs to run any major mod smoothly. Poor specs on a labtop don't like this game.

Mescator
07-29-11, 09:51 PM
I agree with you. Having looked at the minimums (Which are actually higher than i remember), his specs at the very least are a major problem, if not the entire problem with Supermods.

I am curious about OM, TMO and RFB though. I haven't played it OM yet myself, but i was under the impression there was a impressive amount of changes similar in style to TMO involved. I would have thought that if it at least LOADED these 3, loading RSRD's traffic layers wouldn't have been nearly as significant.

On the contrary, you're right.:D However, I never said Virual Memory didn't work, or that it was causing his PC game to crash. I did imply that I don't believe it is the answer to his problem though.:up:

Ah, my Apologies for my misreading =o

WernherVonTrapp
07-30-11, 05:31 AM
No need to apologize Mescator. I took no offense.:up: You said nothing insulting or hostile and I was just being funny with my reply, well, I was trying to be funny.:03:
:salute: