PDA

View Full Version : Short career

joegrundman
07-21-11, 04:22 AM
so i started a new campaign starting at war start, asiatic fleet, assigned USS Skipjack, Salmon class.

100% realism.TMO.

got orders to patrol north of Luzon. As i approached the patrol area i stumbled upon a Japanese task force of two Fuso-style battleships, two mogami class heavy cruisers and about 20 DDs, in the middle of the night.

i decided to close in on a surface attack, but i was getting cornered by DDs while still about 3000 yrds out.

even so i reckoned i had a good angle and speed solution, so i fired all bow, figured on a sharp turn and firing all stern. halfway through the turn, one of the torps prematurely exploded. All lights went on, i got caught in a hail of gunfire from DDs (got hit once) and battleships while i crash dived. it was quite a show!

they all slowed right down of course so the other three torps all missed.

i had about 5 dds above pinging away like crazy. eventually, direct hit by ashcan, and down to davy jones' locker.

i got a purple heart for that! and a somewhat supercilious message about navy relief at the loss of our boat and crew.

short but sweet, but i might change the"loss of boat" text to something less silly.

EricW
07-21-11, 08:47 AM
That sounds ALOT like my first campaign attempt with TMO!! :rock:

Same sub class, asiatic fleet N of Luzon, I ran into a TF. I split my bow tubes at a BB and a CA, I can't remember what they were exactly, BUT I remember having 4 duds on the BB and 2 hits on the cruiser, which didn't sink anyway. I remember the dd's coming in and tearing me up with about 3 passes..DONE.

I had to change tactics a bit from stock sh4.....LOL

Daniel Prates
07-21-11, 09:15 AM
and about 20 DDs

And still you pressed on? MY HERO. :|\\

joegrundman
07-21-11, 09:54 AM
your dead hero:D

Daniel Prates
07-21-11, 09:59 AM
your dead hero:D

My point exactely!

Armistead
07-21-11, 11:35 AM
They don't notice prematures, probably saw a wake or a DD picked you up.

It takes time, but you'll learn a host of evasion tactics when under attack.

TorpX
07-23-11, 04:48 PM
They don't notice prematures, probably saw a wake or a DD picked you up.

That's strange, seeing a bubble trail but not a torpedo explosion. :doh:

In SHCE, they sure noticed them.

i got a purple heart for that! and a somewhat supercilious message about navy relief at the loss of our boat and crew

They are very irreverent, aren't they.

Armistead
07-23-11, 05:05 PM
That's strange, seeing a bubble trail but not a torpedo explosion. :doh:

In SHCE, they sure noticed them.

Yep, but game has values for the wake, not the prematures.

WernherVonTrapp
07-23-11, 05:14 PM

Especially when they're posthumous.:D

TorpX
07-23-11, 09:15 PM
Yep, but game has values for the wake, not the prematures.

Does anyone know if they can be changed?

Bubblehead1980
07-24-11, 12:08 PM
Does anyone know if they can be changed?

it should be, I remember in stock they noticed the prematures.This changed in mods, suppose a side effect of fooling with visual sensors? Wish someone could fix this because it's a bit much they dont notice the prematures in broad daylight

Armistead
07-24-11, 01:35 PM
I didn't think they noticed in in even stock, doesn't make sense that modders like Duci would eliminate a realistic value. I don't think values even exist for prematures. Think the same issue for gun spashes, they don't seem to notice them until you score a direct hit, not that I haven't been wrong before.

TorpX
07-24-11, 04:57 PM
I didn't think they noticed in in even stock, doesn't make sense that modders like Duci would eliminate a realistic value. I don't think values even exist for prematures. Think the same issue for gun spashes, they don't seem to notice them until you score a direct hit, not that I haven't been wrong before.

You are probably right. I remember my crew did not notice when they were shooting at us, as nothing had hit us yet.