PDA

View Full Version : Disabled!

bill2759
07-14-11, 06:59 AM
I've been in a Coma since I was last sunk off Tokyo bay. Managed to survive for many Moons. Still when I returned to SH4 and with Windows Seven, I can no longer play the game.
Believe me when I tell you, I have tried many times to remedy this situation. I've searched for answers and googled all over the place.
Now I've pretty much come to the conclusion the the game will not play in Windows Seven.
Please tell me I wrong. I miss roaming the Pacific and the action. :wah:

radcapricorn
07-14-11, 07:16 AM
What, exactly, is your problem? The game runs fine for me on 7 Ultimate x64.

bill2759
07-14-11, 09:24 AM
I'm using the thirty two bit version, and I think that may be the problem.

At one time I was able to get as far as the opening video presentation to the point of the menu. Then nothing.
On subsequent re-installs and updating my video drivers I get nothing at all. Not even an error message. The game seems to be loading but finishes with a blank screen and no keyboard or mouse effectiveness. Nada!
I have tried running it in different compatibility settings. nothing works.
Hope you guys might come up with an answer.

Dogfish40
07-14-11, 09:35 AM
I am running w' window's 7 and had it running with compatibility set to vista I think. Even then it would occasionally not open at all. Then I did a reinstall with the program directly on the C drive and NOT in the program files folder ei: C/Ubisoft/SH4 (This was a suggestion from one of the other skippers here and it works, or at least helps a lot).
Now the I have no problems with it. I might suggest doing one reinstall like this and if you still have problems then use the compatibilty feature.
Hope this helps.
D40 :salute:

Fish40
07-14-11, 09:54 AM
I agree with Dogfish:yep: You need to create a folder directly on your C Drive, and install the game there. Don't forget to install the DX9c that came with the game. IT NEEDS IT!!!! You will not overwrite DX11 that came with Windows7. It will only install the files that the game needs. Also be sure your Desktop SH4 icon points to the SH4exe, and not gu. What you also could do is right click on the SH4 icon, click properties, and open the compatabilities tab. Click the "Run as administrator" box. No need to run in XP compatability mode. An extra step you could try is to d/l the 4gig patch. I don't have the link at the moment, but you'll find it in the d/l section. This little utility allows SH4, and other games access more memory in 64bit OS. This has cured many random CTDs for alot of folks, myself included;) Hope this helps you out!

bill2759
07-14-11, 10:03 AM
Wilco! As I went to Control panel to uninstall, I noticed I had version 1.04

Is version 1.05 a new patch or a completely new Game? And how do I get it.
Shall I wait for the new patch or continue with the reinstall?
As of now I do not have SH4 in the programs file, but it does reside in C:/ ubisoft/ silenthunter4. :damn:

AVGWarhawk
07-14-11, 10:15 AM
Sounds like you do not have the Uboat Mission add on.

radcapricorn
07-14-11, 10:16 AM
1.5 is U-boat missions (separate add-on pack). I'd advise you to still reinstall, and, as Fish40 said, make sure you have DirectX9.0c runtime installed as well.

Daniel Prates
07-14-11, 12:32 PM
I too run SH4 in windows 7 without any problems.

commandosolo2009
07-14-11, 03:28 PM
I've been in a Coma since I was last sunk off Tokyo bay. Managed to survive for many Moons. Still when I returned to SH4 and with Windows Seven, I can no longer play the game.
Believe me when I tell you, I have tried many times to remedy this situation. I've searched for answers and googled all over the place.
Now I've pretty much come to the conclusion the the game will not play in Windows Seven.
Please tell me I wrong. I miss roaming the Pacific and the action. :wah:

Game runs fine on HP 64bit win 7. Hell I checked the Can you run it? website active X and it showed my laptop as above recommended.

Reinstall using these instructions (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290)

bill2759
07-14-11, 03:32 PM
I tried everything everybody suggested to no avail!
Never-the-less, I was encouraged by the fact that you guys responded that the Sim could be run in windows VII 32 bit.
Re downloaded direct X from Microsoft, checked all my drivers for updates. reinstalled to separate directory on drive C: Program still seemed to be loading, But I never got any graphics or menu. Somewhere in the process I glanced at the task manager. It said SH4 was running. That may have been so, but where the Hell was it. I had no screen or program on the task bar.
In desperation I searched for and deleted any reference to silent hunter or Ubisoft and deleted everything I could find.

Restart and reinstall the program and Viola! I am back at Sea. I'm almost afraid to download and install the patches. I don't want to assigned to permanent shoreleave anymore.
What I did do to refamiliairze myself with the contols was to take my boat and crew to San Fancisco for a little R&R. We cheered as we saw the Golden Gate bridge in the distance but were sorely dissappointed the the City skyline in the intro videos didn't exist. We might just as well cruised into midway for a shoreleave.
Next step download and install patches and go to sea and blow my fellow human beings to kingdom come. It's the civilized thing to do.

I thank you fellow Skippers for your help and assistance. This is the site to come to for help. I lost track of it for awhile but it's in my favorites now. :woot:

AVGWarhawk
07-14-11, 03:37 PM
Glad it is sorted
:yeah:

Dogfish40
07-15-11, 10:44 AM
I tried everything everybody suggested to no avail!
Never-the-less, I was encouraged by the fact that you guys responded that the Sim could be run in windows VII 32 bit.
Re downloaded direct X from Microsoft, checked all my drivers for updates. reinstalled to separate directory on drive C: Program still seemed to be loading, But I never got any graphics or menu. Somewhere in the process I glanced at the task manager. It said SH4 was running. That may have been so, but where the Hell was it. I had no screen or program on the task bar.
In desperation I searched for and deleted any reference to silent hunter or Ubisoft and deleted everything I could find.

Restart and reinstall the program and Viola! I am back at Sea. I'm almost afraid to download and install the patches. I don't want to assigned to permanent shoreleave anymore.
What I did do to refamiliairze myself with the contols was to take my boat and crew to San Fancisco for a little R&R. We cheered as we saw the Golden Gate bridge in the distance but were sorely dissappointed the the City skyline in the intro videos didn't exist. We might just as well cruised into midway for a shoreleave.
Next step download and install patches and go to sea and blow my fellow human beings to kingdom come. It's the civilized thing to do.

I thank you fellow Skippers for your help and assistance. This is the site to come to for help. I lost track of it for awhile but it's in my favorites now. :woot:

Don't be afraid, the patches just make things better. And the patches have Bug killers, that is, this game was very buggy at the release. If you have 1.4 installed that will take care of a bunch of bugs as well as improving overall gameplay. 1.5, even more. 1.5 is not just U-Boat missions, it's even more Graphic, Sound and Gameplay improvements. If you have a computer with some horsepower, you can then try the supermods; TMO, Real Fleet Boat ect.
The point is, now that you know the game works on your computer, it will always work with some effort. So as you mod your game to your liking, one way or another the games gonna' play.
Good Hunting Mate, see ya' around Luzon!
D40 :salute:

TorpX
07-15-11, 04:04 PM
I echo what Dogfish said. The 1.5 (U-boat) version is much better, even if you never touch the German boats. The latest mods can only be run with the v1.5 and why invest a lot of time in a career which cannot be carried over with the new version?

WernherVonTrapp
07-15-11, 04:28 PM
Welcome abroad bill2759, i.e., if I haven't already welcomed you (fried memory).:salute:
I'm glad you worked it all out. I hope (at least) you made a note of everything you deleted, in case you ever have to do a re-install. I think with Windows 7 (just like Vista), you must restart your PC after installing a program in order for the registry to accept it. It may also help to disable UAC (User Account Control) found in you PC Control Panel. UAC has a bad habit of interfering with installations of some programs. Anyway, glad to see that we have some more help in the Pacific.:up:

Dogfish40
07-16-11, 11:05 AM
Welcome abroad bill2759, i.e., if I haven't already welcomed you (fried memory).:salute:
I'm glad you worked it all out. I hope (at least) you made a note of everything you deleted, in case you ever have to do a re-install. I think with Windows 7 (just like Vista), you must restart your PC after installing a program in order for the registry to accept it. It may also help to disable UAC (User Account Control) found in you PC Control Panel. UAC has a bad habit of interfering with installations of some programs. Anyway, glad to see that we have some more help in the Pacific.:up:

Wernher, you're absolutely right. Now that you mention it, when I got this box I have I had to shut off the UAC (which I'd never heard of before). But it was very important as it was interfering with either installation or booting the game, I can't remember, so that may be the most important piece of info yet, Good Job Wernher!!:yeah:
D40