PDA

View Full Version : Holy airplane, Batman!

akula_krieg
07-09-11, 06:55 PM
Greetings y'alls. Former SHIII junkie, used to post way back when but its been quite some time. Been on SH4 for awhile, finally gave TMO w/ RSRD a shot a couple days ago.

USS Gudgeon, first war patrol with the mods, south of the Bungo Straits. Bagged a freighter before being ordered south to patrol the Japan-Luzon-Singapore shipping lanes.

Sent another freighter to the bottom in the vicinity of Okinawa. About ten hours later, we're on the surface in broad daylight (stupid) cruising at ahead standard, and the lookouts spot a flying boat coming in fast. Emergency dive and a hard turn to starboard, passing 130 feet and I think we're ok.

Wrong.

That bastard dropped perfectly and blasted my stern all to hell. Stern tubes gone, aft torpedo room flooding fast, two bulkheads near to collapse, and general mayhem ensue immediately following the hit. I didn't even try to stay under...emergency blow, and thank heavens we hadn't taken on too much water before we popped onto the surface like a cork. Given that first hit, I figure we're as good as dead, but there's no sign of the aircraft. Repair crews are all over the stern, trying to patch the boat back together, and having a rough time of it.

Lookouts spot the flying boat coming in high, out of the sun. We're ready for him this time, but I have my doubts. Ahead flank, hard to starboard, and I tell the gunner to engage with our one .50 the moment he's in range.

The gunner's good for his first patrol. A few well-placed rounds turn the Japanese into a smoking wreck, but he manages to drop...near-miss off the starboard side. Unfortunately we don't quite down him and he limps away to the south. I order a turn to the east and remain at ahead flank for the remainder of the day - the aft torpedo room is completely flooded by now and I'm worried an attempt to dive would be catastrophic.

The repairs slowly continue, but as we make it through the night and into the next day, I'm pretty rattled. Ordered course for Pearl with twenty torpedoes still on board. We didn't get all the water pumped out of the aft torpedo room until a few hundred miles out from home.

Anyway, enough story-telling. Previously in SH4 a plane was no big deal...duck under and he'd most likely miss, or stay on the surface and fight it out, you'd always win. These mods have changed the game, and for the first time playing I was actually pretty damn shaken up. Thanks to the modders for what they've done to SH4, and I hope you continue your work.

Pyrolosis
07-10-11, 03:57 AM
LOL, yeah I am an old hand at SH4, recently I got re-interested in it since I played SH5. As I was modestly disapointed with that. SH5 is beautiful graphicly speaking but when you start getting into it, it leaves you missing SH4.
But I'm getting off subject, I loaded TMO and was shocked at how aggressive the (Japs) became during my absences. And I love all the new little tweaks and sound mods that have been added to it. My hat is off to all the modders in here and especially Ducimus and Vickers. You guys have rejuvinated my desire to take on the Empire once more. :salute:

When in doubt, take the high ground. You can always give it back later.

FIREWALL
07-10-11, 05:03 AM
Your posted Thank's says alot to our great modders and lets them know their hard work and time from their personal life was worth it.

Sometimes we take them for granted. I salute both of you. :salute:

btw I'm not a modder. I'm not that bright. :DL

Armistead
07-10-11, 09:10 AM

A tactic generals often used in nam.:shifty:

razark
07-10-11, 10:52 AM
...the lookouts spot a flying boat coming in fast.
Lookouts spot the flying boat coming in high, out of the sun.
SD radar! It's made to avoid situations like this. Never let the planes get in visual range. If they can't see you, they can't bomb you.

Daniel Prates
07-10-11, 04:32 PM

Except in subwarfare, where it's the other way around! :03:

Dogfish40
07-11-11, 10:39 AM
Yeah, That's the first thing I wondered. Did you forget to spend a few bucks on your SD Radar?? It should have given you ample warning.
Anyway, don't you love this game?? Just when you think everything's quiet and time for chow, all hell breaks loose!
Good Hunting, say Hi to all the Hula Girls back at Pearl!
D40 :salute:

andy_311
07-11-11, 05:25 PM
and then you get 40mm and they don't help 1 bit because in FORTS the plane's are lethal so you still die

Daniel Prates
07-12-11, 08:31 AM
I always thought that diving ASAP is the only proper procedure to deal with a plane.

CptPulver
07-23-11, 08:22 PM
That's what I'm doing in my S boat - crash dive and make a hard turn into the plane, unless he's coming straight from behind and then I flip a coin. So far (it's still December '41) I've spotted 5 planes and been attacked 4 times. It sounds like they've come close but the gang's all still here.

Anthony W.
07-23-11, 08:38 PM
Thats odd, I was stationary on the surface (stupid GQ I forgot to turn off) and he missed me by 50ft. When I'm firing my 4 20mm and 1 40mm cannon they dive near vertical on me and still miss.

Daniel Prates
07-25-11, 12:39 PM
Thats odd, I was stationary on the surface (stupid GQ I forgot to turn off) and he missed me by 50ft. When I'm firing my 4 20mm and 1 40mm cannon they dive near vertical on me and still miss.

Even though it may work, it's a hell of a chance to take.

CptPulver
07-30-11, 07:50 PM
Just had an incident where I spotted a plane, did my usual dive tactics and waited for the bangs. To my surprise there were three which seemed odd since so far they've only dropped two bombs. Letting curiosity get the better of me I went back up to periscope and took a look. There was a patch of sea on fire and a tall pillar of black smoke. I guess he came down too far and couldn't pull up in time. Now, I wonder if I'll get credit for shooting it down? Nah!

TorpX
07-31-11, 12:25 AM
Now, I wonder if I'll get credit for shooting it down? Nah!

No, but the satisfaction is priceless. :haha:

Daniel Prates
08-02-11, 08:43 AM
Try finding some I-400 mod. Then you can chase enemy planes with your own Seiran plane and stop bothering with those useless flak guns!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-400

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aichi_M6A