PDA

View Full Version : Radar periscope? Coded messages?

commandosolo2009
07-09-11, 07:15 AM
Hey amigos,

Having finished O'kane's first book, now indulging in Wahoo, still waiting on a half dozen more to come this month, he mentions a radar periscope. Now I dont know if that means a real scope with an SJ stuck to it, or is it the SD? Anyways it would've been a cool feat if suberged. I know it's not in-game but I hope you share that view with me.

Another thing that crossed my mind, is that the Enigma flotilla of Subsim. I've been part of it not long ago, and I wonder if a similar flotilla or in this case, a sub-ron, exists for the American side. Would slow the pace alot since I'm already at August '43 and would love to add to the realism. At least something extra to do on the spare time. I know, I'm the captain, but lets not kid ourselves, transit time at TC x 512 can be too boring, and I wanted to join, or at least start a sub-ron dedicated to the Ultras...

Rockin Robbins
07-09-11, 09:59 AM
US boats would actually hook a telegraph key to the radio output of their radar. That way they could talk back and forth or recognize each other by special codes for different boats in a wolfpack. Torpedoing and American sub was really frowned upon and this helped to prevent that. It also prevented wasting time avoiding a friendly.

Armistead
07-09-11, 10:00 AM
Been awhile since I read Wahoo or Tang books. The radar periscope is known as the SV, I don't think stock has it, but most mega mods do, TMO for sure. It becomes available later war, seems 44. It comes in handy. I didn't think the Wahoo ever had SV, but the Tang probably did.

TMO also has APR-1 radar detection, so you know which enemy ships have radar.

commandosolo2009
07-09-11, 11:15 AM
there is an SV radar for stock, but I learnt so by visiting the seum bug. It seems that I'll get the mod after I end stock properly, which I'm doing so diligently..

timmyg00
07-09-11, 11:44 AM
Been awhile since I read Wahoo or Tang books. The radar periscope is known as the SV, I don't think stock has it, but most mega mods do, TMO for sure. It becomes available later war, seems 44. It comes in handy. I didn't think the Wahoo ever had SV, but the Tang probably did.

TMO also has APR-1 radar detection, so you know which enemy ships have radar.
Periscope radar was the ST. The SV was a late war air search radar.

TG

TLAM Strike
07-09-11, 12:58 PM

Quite sure O'Kane's boat didn't have the radar periscope. :hmmm:

commandosolo2009
07-09-11, 01:41 PM
Quite sure O'Kane's boat didn't have the radar periscope. :hmmm:

What I meant is that he mentioned it, and I wanted to know if its in-game..

Armistead
07-09-11, 02:58 PM
What I meant is that he mentioned it, and I wanted to know if its in-game..

I think it's the ST that is the actual periscope radar and that's not in game. The SV seemingly was more a rotating air radar that you could raise up, but it still had the ability to pick up ships. With TMO the SV picks up both ships and planes.

I don't recall if Tang had ST, prolly not, but thought it did have SV.

Anyway in game the SV will pick up ships why you're dived if it's extended.
I haven't got it yet to try with the radar mod with TMO2.2 to see if it works. The way the radar mod is made it is more like a ST since you have to point the scope at a ship to get range.

Mescator
07-09-11, 06:57 PM
As i recall, Okane requested periscope radar before leaving on his last patrol and was told the admiral would see what he could do. Obviously, it never came to fruition because of a defective Mk18

TorpX
07-09-11, 10:55 PM
Hey amigos,

Having finished O'kane's first book, now indulging in Wahoo, still waiting on a half dozen more to come this month, he mentions a radar periscope. Now I dont know if that means a real scope with an SJ stuck to it, or is it the SD? Anyways it would've been a cool feat if suberged. I know it's not in-game but I hope you share that view with me.

I don't know the details of the radar periscope, but I think the idea was to have a radar that could be used at tactical distances (even in daylight), and would eliminate the guesswork involved with range estimation in a periscope approach.

TLAM Strike
07-09-11, 11:11 PM
I don't know the details of the radar periscope, but I think the idea was to have a radar that could be used at tactical distances (even in daylight), and would eliminate the guesswork involved with range estimation in a periscope approach.

That is exactly what its for. Basicly it replaces the need for a Standimeter. It fell in to disuse since most warships after the war got radar warning systems. Laser range finders are now used but suffer the same problem- warships have laser warning systems now too. :03:

TorpX
07-09-11, 11:49 PM
That is exactly what its for. Basicly it replaces the need for a Standimeter. It fell in to disuse since most warships after the war got radar warning systems. Laser range finders are now used but suffer the same problem- warships have laser warning systems now too. :03:

I had more or less assumed that laser rangefinders had/have been used since WWII......interesting. :hmmm:

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw something about the British have a periscope in WWII that had a binocular rangefinder. The details were sketchy. It seemed like a very good idea, though.