PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on JSGME

Cdrbuck
06-26-11, 09:43 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm an ex P3 flyer that chased subs so I decided to see how the other half lives.

I've been playing SH4 and wanted to try some of the MODS, but noted that there are suggested loading sequences. If I use JSGME for the mods, do you still need to load in specific order, or can you freely move the MODS in and out of the base game? In other words, could I load RFB play it and then remove it and load TMO or any of the other mega MODS? Or would it be better just to make a separation installation for the different MODS. With space so cheap these days, I have the room.

Thanks for the help.

Cdrbuck

Gerald
06-26-11, 09:52 AM
:salute: In the case of SH4, I can not say with certainty whether it should be in the right order, but hang on, it will rescue you from the people who play SH4.

I'm goin' down
06-26-11, 12:34 PM
Supermods usually get loaded first, with other mods to follow. For example, TMO is loaded before RSRDC, per RSRDC instructions.

If mods conflict, they will either override the ones that are installed previously, or in a worst case, crash the game. A while back, jaminadrid (spell?) created JTex, a tool, to assist in alleviating mod conflicts in certain cases. (His tool came in handy when using a mod to decrease the size of the stopwatch and nav map tools.) Sometimes you can tell if there is a mod conflict because you will be alerted by JGSME that the new mod is overriding certain files in another mod. It comes down to trial and error.

If you decide to uninstall a particular mod, uninstall the mods in the order installed (so I have been told.)

Bottom line, JGSME and mod installation and conflicts are the least of your problems usually.

magic452
06-26-11, 04:13 PM
MultiSH4 will allow you to run different mods on different games. Might be the best way to go till you figure out which you like best. JSGME makes it all very easy to load and remove mods so if you have a problem with a mod just remove it. Put them in one at a time to be sure they work OK.

From an EX P3C builder. :yeah: :yeah:

Magic

Sailor Steve
06-26-11, 05:03 PM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

Yes, suggested loading order should still be adhered to. Certain mods will overwrite parts of other mods, and JSGME doesn't change that. What it does is tell you what is about to be overwritten, giving you a chance to change your mind. It also allows you to uninstall mods if things don't work. Other than that it's still the same.

If you do get a mod conflict warning, read it carefully. Most of the time it's stuff you want to change anyway, which is the purpose of the newer mod. If you have any questions you can ask them right here. Advice at Subsim is usually pretty good.

If you decide to uninstall a particular mod, uninstall the mods in the order installed (so I have been told.)
This is only important if the mod you want to take out has been overwritten by another. The latest versions of JSMGE have overwritten mods greyed out, and you can't uninstall them until the later one is removed (it will also tell you what you have to remove first, so there is no guesswork). If it will let you uninstall an earlier mod without removing anything else, then you don't need to worry about it.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/SailorSteve/Image1-16.jpg

If I want to remove Webster's Smaller Rain it won't let me. It will tell me I have to remove something else first.

If I want to take out Webster's Real Lifeboats it will let me with no problem, and it won't matter if I leave everything after it in.

Cdrbuck
06-27-11, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the very helpful advice to a newbie. Seeing and getting the explanations regarding the use of JSGME was very helpful. I guess the best way is just to dive in, so to speak, and try the MODS one at a time until I find the ones that are most appealing to me. Thanks again for all the pointers.

And to the guy who built P3C, rides like a rock after you clipped the wing tips, but a great ASW aircraft with great systems. Sure beats the old days of tossing 2.5 lbs of TNT out the door to listen for echos. Thanks for the great work on a great aircraft.

Cdrbuck

Daniel Prates
06-27-11, 11:42 AM
CmdrBuck, as long as it is not repetitive to you, check out 'dangerous waters' (boy am I insisting on this game lately!) and tell us if the Orion depicted there is any similar to the real world counterpart.

magic452
06-27-11, 06:12 PM
And to the guy who built P3C, rides like a rock after you clipped the wing tips, but a great ASW aircraft with great systems. Cdrbuck

It was the clipped wings that I worked on. :damn: :damn: Better range.

Magic