PDA

View Full Version : Akula, Thyphoon, SSN in SH4 or other game?!

hoemper
06-22-11, 11:09 AM
Hey guys, I'm playing SH3 for years now and my brother bought SH4 some years ago. I started a mission in SH4 at his place (via mission editor) to see what the game is about and how it functions and all that stuff.
So I could chose between American navy, Russian (and maybe German, but I'm not sure)
I installed SH4 a few days ago and I can only play with American navy..

Does anyone know if that was a mod or another game perhaps?

It can't be SH3 (graphics aren't good enough) and it can't be SH5(the game is older)
So is it an expansion on SH4 or a mod?!
I remember a mission where I needed to close down russian subs near the Russian harbor. (I think Vladivostok, it was on the Pacific side anyway)
I could also fly planes and bombers..

Am I mixing a game up? It sure looked like SH series.. (same map, controls, ...)

Please help, I wanna play with the Russian subs!!!

Daniel Prates
06-22-11, 02:15 PM
You would probably be happier with Jane's simulations, specially "dangerous waters", which is a very good simulation - though, completely different from the silent hunter series.

analogoldguy
06-22-11, 05:52 PM
Hello hoemper,

The original SH4 was American subs against the Japanese.

Then there was SH4 "Gold" which added German subs, campaigns, missions and so on. Maybe your brother had SH4 Gold.

I have never seen Russian subs in Silent Hunter. However I think it is possible that some Mod maker here could have made a Russian sub. (Doesn't sound like what you talked about though).

"Flying planes and bombers" sounds like a different game. One that I have is "Battlestations Midway". You could jump around between ships, planes and so on... No Russians in that either!

That's what I can tell you. Sometimes you can find Silent Hunter 4 Gold on Ebay or Amazon...

Akula, Thyphoon, SSN ... Those sound like the subs that were in the old "Sub Command" and the newer and better graphics version "Dangerous Waters". But the graphics are nowhere near as good as SH4!!

Daniel Prates (above) also mentioned "Dangerous Waters".. Yes, and you can fly a plane in that!! That's probably it. I just saw some on Ebay.

Best wishes to you! Bob P.

Onkel Neal
06-22-11, 08:53 PM
And welcome to Subsim! :salute:

raoul01
06-23-11, 01:36 AM
i thougt the same,ni have battlestation pacific you can switch between ships or planes, but there are no russian ship.

hoemper
06-23-11, 12:48 PM
I think I found the game.
It's called: Dangerous Waters.. there are different nations and also a mission editor.

This topic can be closed

Thanks to all

Daniel Prates
06-24-11, 12:36 PM
[QUOTE=hoemper;1689504] This topic can be closed Thanks to all /QUOTE]

heheheh... aye-aye, captn'!

On a footnote: dangerous waters is, in my opinion, an excellent simulation, which took all that was great on "sub command" and "fleet command", improved everything, added more platforms (the orion, the oliver hazzard perry, the kilo and the seahawk) and left you with what I consider the best naval modern-platform simulation to date. All that with Jane's known reliability on military data, statistics, caracteristics and etc for all platforms, playable or not.

The game really shines, though, when it comes to subs. Sonar detection, as well as position and motion analisis, targeting, shooting, evading, all of those are done in a very different way as we are used to in 1940's simulations. The whole procedure could become a boring game due to is highly technological issues, but they managed to acheive a griping, spine-chilling simulation - so complex, that in the beggining it is trully overwhealming.

I guess it shows that I am a big fan of this game. It could have better graphics though.

There is an specific page for it in subsim.

raoul01
06-25-11, 06:35 AM
isnt that game old?

zamong
06-25-11, 06:57 AM
You would probably be happier with Jane's simulations, specially "dangerous waters", which is a very good simulation - though, completely different from the silent hunter series.

Hello guy, where can I buy that game?
If you tell me, I'll be very happy.

hoemper
06-25-11, 08:19 AM
ya, it's most definitely Dangerous Waters.
Thanks for the advice (subsim page)

Ya it's rather old, but it's still playable.. My brother found a copy here (thank god)

I guess you can find it on the web somewhere?

Daniel Prates
06-27-11, 09:42 AM
It's old, yeah, but the quality of any simulation comes from it being realistic, fun, enjoyable, challenging, and let's face, those qualities are ageless.

A simulation being brand new and full of eye-candy does not make it good - silent hunter 5 being the best example of that.

Dangerous Waters supplies another advantage as there are few simulations covering modern naval platforms - and none nearly as good as DW.

I got it from gamersgate (I mention this site so much that you guys must think I own it... :arrgh!: but really, i'm just a happy customer).