PDA

View Full Version : Interception

clayp
06-16-11, 05:44 PM
What is the best way for an idiot to learn to intercept task forces and convoys...Also Iv never seen this asked before,is there a way to join an Allied convoy or task force.Now remember this has to be simple for a dummy!!......:O:

magic452
06-16-11, 07:17 PM
What is the best way for an idiot to learn to intercept task forces and convoys...Also Iv never seen this asked before,is there a way to join an Allied convoy or task force.Now remember this has to be simple for a dummy!!......:O:

Yes you can sail with an American task force if you find one.
Kind of neat to see all those warships with 48 stars flying.

As for intercepting that depends on which game you're playing(1.4 or 1.5 and any mods like TMO or RSRD) and what part of the war, early or later when you have radar.
That's why I suggest late 43 or 44. Much easier with radar.
Also are you using auto targeting or manual?
And Map contacts on or off? I suggest have them on, almost imposable to learn anything with them off.

Task forces are hard to find but if you sail around the Luzon Strait you should find something to shoot at and maybe a convoy. If you do save the game and let us know what you have and we will see what we can do. Give us any details that you can such as what direction and how far away it is.
When you get a radar contact the RO will give you a bearing something like "radar contact 330 degrees long range." That's what we want.

The bearing to the target is what direction you must look to see the target. 0° is straight ahead, 90° is right, 180° is straight behind you and 270° is to your left. Think of it as a clock 0 or 360° is 12 o'clock, 90° is 3:00, 180° is 6:00 and 270° is 9:00
Be more than happy to help you out anytime. :salute:
I've got the time if you do my friend. :up:

Magic

clayp
06-16-11, 09:54 PM
Well bud I cheat a lot..:shucks: I'm playing in semi stock 1.4 with mods no major mods.I have a hopped up Gato out of Midway in Dec 1941..The boat is fast,2 5in guns,2 40mm flak guns and 38 torps..So tell me what exactly you want me to do and I will try to do it.I also have all the time in the world as I'm medicly retired....:yeah:
I forgot to mention the boat is equipted with radar allthough I dont know how to use it...

magic452
06-16-11, 11:13 PM
Ok clay looks like we can have some fun here.

Well before we start we need to set up the game so I know what you are playing. Lets start easy for now, so go to the options screen by clicking on the radio on the left side of the office and set the options for easy and un check everything we will add things later. When you start the career go to the nav. map and plot a course to the Luzon Strait Use the third button in to plot a course.

The first thing we need to do is find a target, any target, single ship or convoy does not matter for now so just patrol around the choke point till you get a contact and save the game at that time.

Magic

clayp
06-16-11, 11:33 PM
Ok bud may be later tonight or in the morning.....

I'm goin' down
06-16-11, 11:58 PM
If map contacts are on and you see a TF or convoy, use MOBO. It is in its own forum. There is a great tutorial, too. It is worth checking out because aaronblood is a genius and this mod is over the top, crazy good.

clayp
06-17-11, 12:22 AM
If map contacts are on and you see a TF or convoy, use MOBO. It is in its own forum. There is a great tutorial, too. It is worth checking out because aaronblood is a genius and this mod is over the top, crazy good.

Thanks dude I will check it out...

Pisces
06-17-11, 06:39 AM
To intercept you only need to use the tools on the map:

http://members.home.nl/rico.v.jansen/intercept.png

sharkbit
06-17-11, 09:59 AM

http://members.home.nl/rico.v.jansen/intercept.png

Nice. :up: That is one of the simplest ways I've seen that method explained. I use that method all the time.

One thing to add-if you need to, due to map scales, distances, etc., you can multiply both speeds by some factor. I use 2x, 5x, or 10x if necessary,but you can use whatever number you need. You need to multiply both your speed(#3) and the target speed(#2) by the same factor though and draw your circles accordingly.

The intercept angle(A') will be the same no matter what size speed circle you draw, as long as both speeds are multiplied by the same factor.

In the above example, if I used a 2x factor, the target speed circle would be 10 and the intercept speed would be 24. The intetrcept angle(A') would still be the same.

You would still set your speed at the intercept speed you selected (12 knots in Pisces' example) not the multiplied speed :o.-although I would love to have a sub that could make 24 knots-:O:.

Hope that didn't muddy the waters too bad.

:)

clayp
06-17-11, 10:13 AM
I'm compleatly lost.Dont even know where to start.Havent the slightest how you get target speed etc.I dont know math....I need to just listen to one person, magic,but I dont think I will get it...:oops:

Dogfish40
06-17-11, 11:02 AM
I'm compleatly lost.Dont even know where to start.Havent the slightest how you get target speed etc.I dont know math....I need to just listen to one person, magic,but I dont think I will get it...:oops:

Hey Clay
No problem, all these guys just want to help and when it gets too overwhelming, just digest what you can and keep plugging away. Half the fun is learning and you don't have to learn all this by next week. Take your time and have fun with it.
When I started playing this game I didn't know anything about WW2 Subs, I feel like I've learned so much over the past few months and then I feel like I still have a long way to go.
Just practice at your own pace and sink 'em all!
Good Hunting my friend! :salute:
D40

clayp
06-17-11, 11:17 AM
Thank you Dog...:salute:

Pisces
06-17-11, 12:03 PM
I'm compleatly lost.Dont even know where to start.Havent the slightest how you get target speed etc.I dont know math....I need to just listen to one person, magic,but I dont think I will get it...:oops:Well, I took it for granted that you found a contact report on the map with it's general course and speed displayed, but it was too far out of visual/radar range (like 50 or more nautical mile away) and wanted to know how to get to it.You should get this information if you click on such a map contact icon. If you would draw these steps as soon as you found this contact on the map, then you would have met the contact at the earliest possible time. (assuming he isn't too fast for you)

Without knowing those values of the contact, the above method is useless. The idea is the game gives you this information as if it was transmitted by radio from HQ. But it just appears on the map from time to time without much warning.

If however some game-time has passed since it appeared, before you noticed it on the map. Then you would need to calculate how far it has moved since and draw the new (current) location and work from there. The information of the icon should also provide a time when it was valid.

The image isn't mine btw, I can't remember who made it. I just uploaded it to my homepage to keep it alive. I do not deserve the credit.

I'm goin' down
06-17-11, 12:30 PM
I started knowing nothing. I still know nothing. However...

1. Leave map contacts enabled.
2. When a contact appears, zoom in on the target.
3, Open the stopwatch.
4. Use the map tools to mark the target with an "x." Start the stopwatch.
5. Pause the game after 3 minutes.
6. Mark the target with an "x."
7. Use the protractor tool and draw a circle with its center being the target and the circumference line intersecting the target in its position after 3 minutes. (Since the game is paused the target will not have moved.) The protractor tool will display the number of yards in the radius of the circle. That is the distance (number of yards) the target has traveled during the 3 minute period. That distance is the target's speed in knots. (i.e. 1200 yds. in 3 minutes = 12 knots.)
8. If you open the compass icon on the map screen and click on the ruler, you will open a compass tool. Create a long line running through the two target's positions you have plotted on the map and extend the line on the map. Read the degrees on back of the compass dial and you have the target's course.

There is a post somewhere that shows all of the above with drawings, screenshots, etc.

I'm goin' down
06-17-11, 12:43 PM
Read the following thread. This is a great place to start.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=462401&postcount=1

When you want to begin using manual targeting, read Hitman's tutorial on Manual Targeting at 100 Percent Realism. Also, go the Skipper's Bag of Tricks sticky thread in this forum to learn about O'Kane, Cromwell, etc.

And then, there is the Easy Aob mod, but that will take some explaining.

Do you have Skype?

magic452
06-17-11, 05:15 PM
First thing we gotta do is find a target for Clay and then work through each step till he starts to get a handle on it all.
We're working east of Manila on 20 Jan 42.
He's got a Gato with radar, guess he's got good connections with Lockwood :sunny:

All very good advice we can refer back to later.:yeah:

Pisces very good method, never worked it out that way, will come in handy.

IGD were working with very easy settings for now, Auto targeting etc.

Magic

clayp
06-17-11, 05:32 PM
Read the following thread. This is a great place to start.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=462401&postcount=1

When you want to begin using manual targeting, read Hitman's tutorial on Manual Targeting at 100 Percent Realism. Also, go the Skipper's Bag of Tricks sticky thread in this forum to learn about O'Kane, Cromwell, etc.

And then, there is the Easy Aob mod, but that will take some explaining.

Do you have Skype?

No,what is skype?

I'm goin' down
06-17-11, 07:48 PM
welcome to the 21st century. It is a free program. You download it to your computer. If you have a built in camera, or buy a portable one, I can call you on skype using your email no. We can talk on skype and see each other. You need a camera and microphone, which may be built in to your computer. Search for skype on Google and read about it. Then I can help you face to face.

clayp
06-17-11, 10:12 PM
sorry cant buy anything,not even a cup of coffee..Wife sole support and she lost her teachers job..Now works 4 part time jobs to keep us a float..:nope:

clayp
06-17-11, 11:38 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3594/sh4img20110617204244437.png

clayp
06-17-11, 11:47 PM
The one by Saipan I didnt mess with.The next one is off the coast of Manila.......
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9786/sh4img20110617211951437.png

magic452
06-18-11, 03:26 AM
The one by Saipan I didnt mess with.The next one is off the coast of Manila.......

Great how we have something to work with.
First that is a contact report form some one else, you do not have either visual or radar contact yet. It looks like you went to periscope depth a little too soon. Stay on the surface till you get much closer. You will get radar contact long before you can be seen by the target.
These contact reports (the all red squares and tails) are not all that accurate and there is a time given, this one looks to be only 11 minutes old so I think we can use it. She will only have moved a mile or so by now.
A radar contact will be all gray and is very accurate.

Unless these all red contacts are very close and more or less headed your way they are not worth trying to chase down as they may be old or the target has changed course and you really have no idea where they may be by the time you get there. This one looks good enough.

Take your ruler and draw a line from the little tail of the target up through the square and ahead of the target about 15 miles. The tail shows the ships course more or less, that is what we want.
The course looks to be about 330° so surface your boat and set your course to about 300° by clicking on the compass dial on 300, go to a speed of about 15 knots and we will try to cut her off. It's moving slow, 6 or 7 knots, so we don't want to get too far ahead of it.

Zoom in on the map (mouse wheel) and see about where you will cross the line you just drew ( draw a line form your sub through to 0° mark on the compass rose you see when you zoom in close and extent this line till it crosses the first line you drew. To extend the line mark a X as far as you can from your sub and the 0 mark and zoom out enough to be able to extent the line to the first one, just keep the line going through the X.
It doesn't need to be perfect, just close.

Take your compass tool and draw a circle starting where the two lines cross and come out about one thousand yards, if all goes well this will be our intercept point. When you get to that circle stop and wait for the target to come to you. Hopefully you'll get a radar contact soon. If she doesn't change course we should make contact. If and when we do, save the game right then so we have a save to work with.

When you are taking screen shots to show me what is going on zoom in as close as you can and still show your boat and the target.
With a little luck we'll get this sucker.

Magic

I'm goin' down
06-18-11, 04:05 AM
try this download link for legion's noob guide, a video the link to which was first posted on April 10, 2007. The original link is dead, but I found an alternative/. This video tutorial will help you get started. It is intended as a guide for new captains who are unfamiliar with submarine attacks, and the tutorial uses auto targeting, unlimited fuel, etc. This is considered a classic subsim tutorial. I give it a five star rating.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1539342&postcount=70

Platapus
06-18-11, 07:02 AM

Thank you for posting that. There was another version of this graphic but I lost the location. Yours is nice and clear.

Any chance you could do a short write up on this and have it posted in

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146795

I think it would help out a lot of people and will keep your graphic accessible.

clayp
06-18-11, 09:58 AM
I'm so goddam stupid I cant even figure out how to use the tools..I try to use the ruler and get a compass..Taking off for awhile...:oops:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3771/sh4img20110618075130812.png

magic452
06-18-11, 12:48 PM
I' be right with you clay want to check something out first.

Magic
You can use all these tools with the game paused.
The tools are as follows, just click on the tool to use it.

the green one on top is the tool helper, close this for now. just click it again.
the brown one right below is the ruler, this is the one we will using.
Just click it and a little icon will appear in the map, there is a very small arrow on top that is where the line will begin. the line will be red and move in any direction as long as you hold down the left mouse button.

the light brown eraser is on top of the ruler. it will highlight anything you point it at and a left click will erase whatever is in red.

the brown triangle is the protractor, we won't use this for now.

the magnifying glass zooms in map view in if you click it. Use the mouse wheel for this just roll the wheel forward to zoom in, back to zoom out.

The silver compass tool will draw a circle we will use this in a minute.
just click on the map and hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse, it will draw a circle.

the pencil will Mark an X at the spot where you left click the mouse.
I see an X on the map so you know how to do this. You can take the pencil and hold it over that X and it will turn red you can hold down the left button and drag that X to a different place, you can move any mark, line, circle or way point you have made by doing the same thing with the tool that made the thing in the first place.

Just click each tool to see what they do and how they work the game is paused so nothing important will happen. You can use the eraser to remove any unwanted marks. Just play around with things, you can't hurt anything and you will soon see what they do and how they work.

On to the important things, I now see two target icons, one red, that is the original, and one gray. The gray one is a radar contact, that is what we want. Zoom the map view in, put the mouse arrow right between you and the target and roll the mouse wheel forward until you can see the target icon and your boat very close. The map will zoom centered on where your mouse arrow is. When you get in close enough the red icon will disappear only the gray will be seen. You can hold down the left mouse button and a hand will appear, you than can drag the map view around with out changing zoom levels.
Once you get zoomed in take the pencil and mark an X right on top of the target. Un pause the game and hit the X key to bring up the stopwatch and click the top stem to start the watch wait 3 minutes and click the stem again to stop the watch and pause the game. The small dial on top will show the three minutes. My old eyes sometime can't see these small numbers etc. so I keep a magnifying glass handy. With the game paused mark another X on the new location of the target.

While you wait the three minutes go to the lower right and set your course to 285° by clicking 285 on the dial.
Set speed to 8 knots. Click the little gray tab at the bottom of the speed dial and a new dial will show the speed in Knots just click 8. This will get us moving the same way the target is and we will slowly close the range.
Stay on the surface to keep the radar working, no need to submerge till we get visual contact, we have plenty of time.

From the looks of the reported radar contacts it seems you're still in heavy weather???

Let me know when you get that done and we will move on to the next step. It takes some time and practice but you will soon get it, have faith.

Magic

I'm goin' down
06-18-11, 01:04 PM
see post 23, watch the video and you will have some of your questions answered. tools - fiddle with the tools to get familiar with them. then open the compass and use the ruler. You will notice the ruler opens with a compass tool accompanying it.

magic452
06-18-11, 02:28 PM
try this download link for legion's noob guide, a video the link to which was first posted on April 10, 2007. The original link is dead, but I found an alternative/. This video tutorial will help you get started. It is intended as a guide for new captains who are unfamiliar with submarine attacks, and the tutorial uses auto targeting, unlimited fuel, etc. This is considered a classic subsim tutorial. I give it a five star rating.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1539342&postcount=70

IGD that is a good one I'll try to use that as we move along.
I've not seen that before.

Magic

clayp
06-18-11, 05:20 PM
I'll try this in awhile,right now working on other system...