PDA

View Full Version : How to use the printable solutions solver, is-was calculator, and aob calculator..

commandosolo2009
06-10-11, 02:43 PM
Ahoy Mateys!!!

Today I laminated my SS (and boy this is hardcore next to the manual)

But I tried to find its purpose and failed. Does it calculate the AOB? Or is it a fire control gadget? This is what I'm talking about:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd414/Perch176/100620111636.jpg

is there something else I should download and laminate and stick to a hardened cardboard? Whats that whiz wheel? And more importantly, where do I get it? My current objective is to use a manual device to get the AOB. What am I missing, fellas?

commandosolo2009
06-11-11, 12:17 PM
c'mon you guys at least tell me what the dials are for...

Daniel Prates
06-11-11, 01:00 PM
Damn, that looks complicated.

I'm no user of printed dials but I remember once seeing a whole thread about that. You certainly downloaded the dials from the subsim download page. Is there not a guide in there, somewhere?

commandosolo2009
06-11-11, 02:52 PM
there is, and I read it, same as the other guy who couldnt figure the sequence of using the dials. From what I know, the outmost dial is the sub bearing dial. The innermost dial is the AOB readout and the target ship's course. Now, whats left is the middle dial, which corresponds to the true bearing on the map. How am I doing so far?:hmmm:

Gerald
06-11-11, 03:03 PM
Good work,:DL

razark
06-11-11, 03:17 PM
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/attackfinder/index.htm

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=106923

CapnScurvy
06-11-11, 03:27 PM
Solo, try using this "High Realism Tutorial" (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=907) with the Calculator.

The design you downloaded is the same as mine, just better graphics. You are correct to figure the outer most dial on the calculator represents the "relative bearing" either of the heading of your sub, or the view bearing(found along the top of the periscope or TBT stations). The inner dial represents the true north compass bearing (as it relates to the map). The smaller, top most dial represents the target ships heading and/or Angle on Bow.

Although the American side has the Position Keeper dials to relate very similarly to the hand held Calculator; if you play the German side, the Calculator is very useful.

Try reading the tutorial, or even use the following target ship mission to practice in an environment that will help you understand map plotting and ship target AoB recognition. Here's the link to the same "Target Mission" (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=668) as used in the tutorial.

commandosolo2009
06-12-11, 03:53 AM
thanks dan, vendor, razark, capn. Now what is left is the applied part :D:rock::yeah::03:

You said the American boats needed it less than the German boats, but as far this thing will keep an extra hand on target, and provide all round tracking with possibility for last minute changes if the data seemed off. A true masterpiece. Thanks CapnScurvy, and, if I may, what else do I need to print and laminate?

One more thing, the sub depicted on the inner dial, is that the sub orientation relative to target? and sometimes I get it all wrong so the pic must be in the wrong place or I'm doing something wrong. I'll take a look at the HRT and get back for comments.

Cheerios

CapnScurvy
06-12-11, 11:07 AM
Humpf!! Reaper7 does have a sub image on the inner dial!

I didn't notice it before. I can see where there could be some confusion over just what are we looking at if the AoB inner most dial has a sub image on it. The image should be thought of as the target ships, not your own subs image.

The Angle on Bow is always taken (or read) from the target ship, not from the subs point of view. The only point of view the sub has is the "relative bearing" of the target which is gained by determining from what position the target is in relationship to the sub (get the "relative/relationship" connection?). The bow of the sub represents the zero degree mark on the compass dial, 90 degree is directly to the right or starboard, 270 degree relative bearing is directly to the left or port of the sub. 180 degree is to the rear or stern of the sub. AoB of the target ship relates to the compass in the same way but when you say the "AoB is 90 degrees port", it means the sub is positioned directly to the right of the target ship (from the target ships point of view).

I can see where it's a bit confusing if the image on the dial looks like the sub, and not of the target ship as it should represent.

commandosolo2009
06-12-11, 02:49 PM
thats not a problem, since I started grasping it, and man, I'd like to say, that thanks to this AOB calc, I sunk 45k + GRT on my 4th patrol. It even works if the target is shifting course, or if the stadimeter and the sonar rangefinding are somewhat off (with actual sighting on a bearing and pinging on that bearing when the midsection touches the crosshairs). A real deal I would say. Thanks man!

By the way, I found a real cool solution to target speed.

You measure his distance on first contact, plot a line from that point down an estimated course (be that parallel to previous points) , and pick two bearings to be the start and finish for timing. When his bow touches the crosshair on the first bearing, start the clock, and measure distance by stadimeter.

When his bow touches the crosshair on the other selected bearing, stop the clock and take a range reading also through the stadimeter. This is as accurate as it can be and allows you to also plot his true course (based on stadi readings). Connect a line from selected bearing A to seected bearing B, measure distance on map and course from tool helper. Divided distance by time taken to bow cross.It could be done with the sonar but two pings are enough to get you spotted. For sonar, clear the conning tower of all personnel, rotate the hydrophone knob to selected bearings and ping when midsection is centered on your crosshair at both cases. The range maybe off but a course is established with the aob calc. Happy hunting Capn. :cool::rock::yeah::salute: