PDA

View Full Version : Winter and summer times reversed?

Stealhead
06-10-11, 02:24 PM
I have been playing Operation Monsun as of late and I noticed while on a patrol heading towards the US East coast in Dec/Jan1942 that the time of day that the sun rises and sets seems to be reversed.

On January 5th 1942 it did not set until around 2000 hours and did not rise that day until past 1030 this seems way off to me my sub is only a about 130 miles off the coast of Va. I live in Fl and I have never seen the sun set this late in the day in the middle of winter nor rise so late in the morning I know there is a bit of difference as you head inland but still not that much.

So am I correct on this or what? Or did they not use daylight savings back in those days?( obviously the Germans did not but still the sun rise/set times seem way off)

I posted this in SH4 because this deals with the base game or parts of the game that are hard coded.Also playing TMO I have felt a few times that the sun was off.

Aviv
06-10-11, 02:42 PM
In the southern hemisphere the seasons are the other way round. So when it's summer in the northern part, it's winter in the southern.

Daniel Prates
06-10-11, 03:29 PM
Hey Aviv, where have you been lately? You haven't posted for weeks.

Indeed the seasons are inverted in the southern hemisphere. Solstices are obviously the same, but equinoces will be inverted.

Sailor Steve
06-10-11, 04:13 PM
My post originally had a mistaken explanation.

Listen to Magic452's post below, not mine.

magic452
06-10-11, 04:15 PM
In SH4 the time display is for the time zone of your base, it doesn't update to the local time of your present location. Going East or West you have to figure the number of time zones you have crossed.

Magic

Stealhead
06-10-11, 07:59 PM
That makes since the time zone being the base time zone wonder why they don't just use Zulu time then it would make things easier.

Aviv I know that the summer and winter times differ between N and S hemispheres but being based in France and sailing towards the east coast you are in the same hemisphere so your post did not answer my question.That would have been logical if I had been off the coast of Brazil.

It appeared to me that the summer and winter where reversed(the suns activity) as the sun not setting until 2000 or later is normal for anyone living on the east coast during the summer but not winter so it seemed that the seasons sun patterns where off by chance in this case having sailed from France towards the Eastern US coast it turns out it is because the time zone is for the base in France which explains the sun rise/set being off by a few hours per Eastern time zone.

Sailor Steve
06-10-11, 09:36 PM
SH3 has two separate times, GMT and local. I don't understand why they 'fixed' it for SH4, as it was a very good system and this one fails massively.

Stealhead
06-11-11, 12:30 AM
I'd like for there to be a way to know at what time the sun is going to rise and set each day in game much like the weather information it would be nice if the navigation officer would give you these details after all he should know.

My main concern is not so much matching local time but knowing at what time (according to the time of port at least) when the sun will rise and set it is very useful for German U-Boats in particular who lack good radar until 1943 when I am in an aircraft heavy area I want to know when to dive for the day.

I'm goin' down
06-11-11, 01:10 AM
carry a rooster on board. He will let you know when the sun comes up.

Aviv
06-11-11, 06:49 AM
Oops sorry I didn't quite understand where you were talking about. But you're right about the time zones that you can cross. When you come from Pearl Harbour, you cross a lot to get to Japan and the time really has problems when it says it's 10am and it's dark outside. I wish they had kept the local time thing from sh3.

@Daniel Prates, I didn't go anywhere, I guess I didn't see anywhere where I should post.

Sailor Steve
06-11-11, 11:50 AM
I'd like for there to be a way to know at what time the sun is going to rise and set each day in game much like the weather information it would be nice if the navigation officer would give you these details after all he should know.

My main concern is not so much matching local time but knowing at what time (according to the time of port at least) when the sun will rise and set it is very useful for German U-Boats in particular who lack good radar until 1943 when I am in an aircraft heavy area I want to know when to dive for the day.
First day out, make a note of the sunrise and sunset times. If it's the first half of the year the sun will rise and set 2-3 minutes later each day. After June 21 the sun will rise and set 2-3 minutes earlier each day.