PDA

View Full Version : The Ocean Floor - Not So Far Away

Anthony W.
05-31-11, 03:36 PM
Well, I was cruising in the deep waters off the Marshall Islands in January 42', when all of a sudden I ran aground on a hidden reef! The game gave me no time to free myself before declaring mission failed!

I was/am ticked. I know I would've been able to free myself - in the closing scene I saw my sub sliding back into the water!

Didn't this happen to a sub in real life?

Dogfish40
05-31-11, 04:19 PM
Well, I was cruising in the deep waters off the Marshall Islands in January 42', when all of a sudden I ran aground on a hidden reef! The game gave me no time to free myself before declaring mission failed!

I was/am ticked. I know I would've been able to free myself - in the closing scene I saw my sub sliding back into the water!

Absolutely, In fact, several subs. I believe a couple are still on the reefs. There are some pics on the web of a sub that you can still see today. I'll see if I can get the link, or someone else knows. I've always been afraid of running between islands with shallows because of the chance of running aground. I also try and go to 1/3rd in shallows like that, you just never know.
Sorry about your sub mate, you'll be in front of someone's desk when you get back to Pearl.:damn:
D40

commandosolo2009
05-31-11, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0OVO1QXJ0

beat you to it. :salute:

WernherVonTrapp
05-31-11, 05:01 PM
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1564061&postcount=10

:03:

Daniel Prates
05-31-11, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF0OVO1QXJ0

beat you to it. :salute:

Great movie.

Oh and about the incident that started this thread... looks like another time-compression related problem - meaning: you were going so fast that you never saw the obstacle!

Armistead
05-31-11, 06:34 PM
Often TC will drop when you get near land, but seems the smaller the mass, the game doesn't see it. Some reefs don't even show until you zoom in, so be careful.

magic452
05-31-11, 07:17 PM
Been there done that :wah:but I didn't sink. :yeah:
But the boys in the forward torpedo room didn't buy me a beer when we reached Pearl. :nope:

Magic

Anthony W.
05-31-11, 07:39 PM
Hell, on the map I wasn't within 50 miles of any shallow waters! Thats what surprised me. 10 minutes before I had taken a depth indication over over 1000ft

Torplexed
05-31-11, 07:42 PM
USS Darter ran aground on the Bombay Reef chasing Admiral Kurita's Main Body during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. The wreck adorned the reef for decades afterwards. An incident like this would have lost you your command and probably your career before the war. The Navy just gave McClintock and his crew another sub.

http://www.history.navy.mil/pics/sublosses/sublosses_darter3.jpg

Torplexed
05-31-11, 07:44 PM
The Darter wreck in 1965. Anybody want a slightly used sub?

http://www.submarinesailor.com/Boats/SS227Darter/DarterWreck1965-1.jpg

Dogfish40
06-01-11, 10:08 AM
The Darter wreck in 1965. Anybody want a slightly used sub?

Anybody bring the tetanus shots? :O:
This is the wreck I had in mind, it loses another section with each passing decade.
PS: Anthony! Unless it's too late, would you post a Map with a marker where this reef is? I'd like to check it out when I'm over in that area. Thanks Mate.
D40

Daniel Prates
06-01-11, 04:53 PM
http://www.history.navy.mil/pics/sublosses/sublosses_darter3.jpg

With this low tide it almost seems to be flying over the water. Doesn't it remind you of the flying dutchman tale?

Torplexed
06-02-11, 07:44 PM
With this low tide it almost seems to be flying over the water. Doesn't it remind you of the flying dutchman tale?

I keep noticing the shellholes courtesy of the USS Nautilus' six inch guns. Apparently she was called in to make the Darter of less interest to the Japanese by wrecking her even more. The Japanese boarded her anyway. Whether they found anything of interest I've never heard. They may have marveled at the crew showers, ice cream maker, laundry machines, air conditioning system and other amenities completely alien to Japanese submarines and most Japanese surface ships. :D

Anthony W.
06-02-11, 09:30 PM
I keep noticing the shellholes courtesy of the USS Nautilus' six inch guns. Apparently she was called in to make the Darter of less interest to the Japanese by wrecking her even more. The Japanese boarded her anyway. Whether they found anything of interest I've never heard. They may have marveled at the crew showers, ice cream maker, laundry machines, air conditioning system and other amenities completely alien to Japanese submarines and most Japanese surface ships. :D

Jap Sailors: "AWW DEY GOT ICE CREAM AND SHOWERS!"

Jap Commander: "Emperor say they pump painful poison to keep crew from being happy."

I doubt they knew what they were even if they were still intact...

Torplexed
06-02-11, 10:03 PM
I doubt they knew what they were even if they were still intact...

Actually the Japanese were quite aware of the little luxuries that were common in the US Navy and military as a whole. This was what their propagandists told them would ensure victory. Soft, spoiled Americans used to their fat rations, music, movies and air conditioning would collapse in conflict against the battle-hardened frugal soldiers and sailors of the Japanese Empire.

I imagine that was grim solace for the thousands of Japanese soldiers who were starving to death on isolated and bypassed islands in 1945.

Daniel Prates
06-03-11, 09:27 AM
This was what their propagandists told them would ensure victory. Soft, spoiled Americans used to their fat rations, music, movies and air conditioning would collapse in conflict against the battle-hardened frugal soldiers and sailors of the Japanese Empire.

In all conflicts the US became involved in the XXth century, this has been a factor. The iraquis for instance would hear the sabe BS.

Anthony W.
06-03-11, 01:29 PM
Actually the Japanese were quite aware of the little luxuries that were common in the US Navy and military as a whole. This was what their propagandists told them would ensure victory. Soft, spoiled Americans used to their fat rations, music, movies and air conditioning would collapse in conflict against the battle-hardened frugal soldiers and sailors of the Japanese Empire.

I imagine that was grim solace for the thousands of Japanese soldiers who were starving to death on isolated and bypassed islands in 1945.

Ouch...

Dogfish40
06-06-11, 09:54 AM

Anthony! OMG ('cause I can't say "Holy----")
I was tooling around the Marshalls in my new Gato (I got Promoted), anyway, I can't name the particular island at the moment but all of a sudden I hear the most horrible screeching sound (Metal on Metal, breaking glass ect), my teeth almost shattered (I'm using headphones, volume 10). Apparently we hit bottem.
My Nav map was zoomed way in, and I was sure by the map that we had at least 290'. The first thing I thought of was "I wonder if this is the same place that Anthony hit"?! Anyway,The shoal is not off the named island, but off a satellite island a bit north of the main island. I'm going to go back and find the spot and post a pic to see if this could be the same spot.
Cheers and good hunting.
D40 :salute:
PS: I was able to reverse and clear it. We have significant damage but are able to continue with mior repairs.

Zuk
07-04-11, 08:47 PM
I hit same reef with typhoon sub on the first patrol with her yesterday morning. I was going 22 knots.

Captain Titanic
07-05-11, 07:17 AM
once i hit the ocean floor while with time compression up to about 1000 and damn scared the living day lights out of me all i heard was Loud Screeching and Banging i was in a Gato class Sub called USS Wahoo also i love the automated names i once got USS Cod

Anthony W.
07-05-11, 12:12 PM
Well, it is realistic. The Pacific was hell. The japs had every shoal and sandbar mapped and memorized. No so for us.

Torplexed
07-05-11, 08:09 PM
The japs had every shoal and sandbar mapped and memorized. No so for us.

Trust me. The Japanese struggled with the same inaccurate maps as the Allies.

December 13th 1941 the Japanese cargo ship Nikkoku Maru is stranded and wrecked off Hainan Island, 18°00'N, 110°00'E.

December 29th 1941, the Japanese submarine RO 60, returning from the Wake Island operation, is irreparably damaged by grounding, Kwajalein Atoll, 09°00'N, 167°30'E.

January 12 1942, the destroyer Asagumo is damaged when she runs aground off Tarakan.

January 16th, the Japanese cargo ship Taishu Maru is wrecked when she runs aground off Okushiri Island, Hokkaido.

January 17th, the Japanese transport Fukusei Maru is stranded and wrecked off Yangtze Estuary.

February 9th 1942, the Japanese carrier Kaga is damaged when she runs aground on an uncharted reef, Palau, Palau Islands.

February 17 1942, the Japanese destroyer Ayanami is damaged when she fouls an uncharted reef 2.4 nautical miles off Durai, Anambas Islands.

February 25th 1942, the Japanese cargo ship Fukushima Maru runs aground on a reef and is wrecked, Katsura Bay.

And that's just the first three months of the war. :D

TorpX
07-06-11, 02:22 AM

December 13th 1941 the Japanese cargo ship Nikkoku Maru is stranded and wrecked off Hainan Island, 18°00'N, 110°00'E.

December 29th 1941, the Japanese submarine RO 60, returning from the Wake Island operation, is irreparably damaged by grounding, Kwajalein Atoll, 09°00'N, 167°30'E.

January 12 1942, the destroyer Asagumo is damaged when she runs aground off Tarakan.

January 16th, the Japanese cargo ship Taishu Maru is wrecked when she runs aground off Okushiri Island, Hokkaido.

January 17th, the Japanese transport Fukusei Maru is stranded and wrecked off Yangtze Estuary.

February 9th 1942, the Japanese carrier Kaga is damaged when she runs aground on an uncharted reef, Palau, Palau Islands.

February 17 1942, the Japanese destroyer Ayanami is damaged when she fouls an uncharted reef 2.4 nautical miles off Durai, Anambas Islands.

February 25th 1942, the Japanese cargo ship Fukushima Maru runs aground on a reef and is wrecked, Katsura Bay.

Ouch!....Good reasons to go easy on the TC. :)

Anthony W.
07-06-11, 11:09 AM
Ouch!....Good reasons to go easy on the TC. :)

Very...

AVGWarhawk
07-06-11, 11:33 AM
There has been a few times for me when I hear "clank, screeeeecchhhhh"
"We have have flooding sir!" "Bow tubes damaged!" I go topside to see my watch crew sprawled on the beach after the abrupt stop caused by hitting a small island or reef. :shifty:

Daniel Prates
07-06-11, 11:59 AM

hahaha! stupid japs.

Anthony W.
07-06-11, 01:45 PM
hahaha! stupid japs.

Before the war, we had several of our subs running aground smack into our own coast just after leaving port.

Daniel Prates
07-07-11, 08:50 AM
Before the war, we had several of our subs running aground smack into our own coast just after leaving port.

.... haha, stupid skippers? :06:

Anthony W.
07-07-11, 01:39 PM
.... haha, stupid skippers? :06:

No idea...

TLAM Strike
07-07-11, 04:23 PM

Quite a few times, even today.

in 1996 a North Korean Sang o class submarine ran aground and was captured.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2794/sub1996image24.jpg
Here you can see the damage, that circle thing on the ground was the shroud for her prop.
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3684/3589007938538977bc47b.jpg
Another one grounded and was captured in 1998
http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8708/237665sub300.jpg
The USS San Fransisco collided with a seamount in 2005
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5431/dsc00033ne.jpg

HMS Astute ran aground earlyer this year.

HMS Trafalgar grounded in 2002

USS Hartford grounded in 2003

HMS Superb hit an undersea rock in 2008

Anthony W.
07-07-11, 04:30 PM
Quite a few times, even today.

in 1996 a North Korean Sang o class submarine ran aground and was captured.

Don't the North Koreans have a problem with those Sang O class subs being caught by fishermen?

WernherVonTrapp
07-07-11, 06:41 PM
Hmmmm, now, let me see here. Pearl Harbor, I know it has to be around here somewhere, ooooooops.
http://hawaii.gov/hawaiiaviation/aviation-photos/1940-1949/oahu-airfields/bellows-field/1941-12-8%20Japanese%20Mini%20Sub%2003.jpg/image_preview
:D

Ducimus
07-07-11, 07:03 PM

Before you plot your course. Grab the ruler tool and draw a line from your position, to where your heading.

Now zoom the map in so that you might see any shallow areas, and plot your course along the line you just drew as a guide. That way you can steer around any dangerous area that don't appear when the map is zoomed out.

TLAM Strike
07-07-11, 10:08 PM
Don't the North Koreans have a problem with those Sang O class subs being caught by fishermen?

That was the P-4 class boat. Its the second North Korean sub pictured in my last post. :salute:

I wasn't sure if she grounded or got tangled in a net. :hmmm:

razark
07-07-11, 10:37 PM
Didn't SH1 have a feature that prevented you from laying out a course that crossed land?

TorpX
07-08-11, 03:15 AM
*I think* SHCE wouldn't allow you to plot courses across land. I never really thought about it being a "safety feature". I'm not sure if this would prevent you from running aground in shallow water. I don't ever remember running headlong into land though. I never found out what happened if you ran out of fuel either. :DL

TLAM Strike
07-08-11, 08:34 AM
*I think* SHCE wouldn't allow you to plot courses across land. I never really thought about it being a "safety feature". I'm not sure if this would prevent you from running aground in shallow water. I don't ever remember running headlong into land though. I never found out what happened if you ran out of fuel either. :DL

If you ran out of gas you would get a animation of a tug towing you back to port.

Daniel Prates
07-08-11, 10:01 AM
If you ran out of gas you would get a animation of a tug towing you back to port.

Yeah, another serious thing missin in SH4 is a solution for the out-of-fuel problem. A mod on this would be SOOO welcome.

Krauter
07-08-11, 10:14 AM
The Manage-Your-Fuel-Better Mod?

Anthony W.
07-08-11, 12:03 PM

I don't think the navigation officer would let you be in that position. Like, if you have 1000 miles of fuel left at standard and you're just in range of a port, you get a message that alerts you to the fuel crisis and keeps you from increasing power.

CCIP
07-08-11, 12:06 PM
I don't think the navigation officer would let you be in that position. Like, if you have 1000 miles of fuel left at standard and you're just in range of a port, you get a message that alerts you to the fuel crisis and keeps you from increasing power.

Not really, the captain is 'God' on the ship. At sea, that's ultimately his judgment and noone else on the boat can override him. And you do get messages at 25 and 10%....

TLAM Strike
07-08-11, 01:10 PM
I don't think the navigation officer would let you be in that position.

Accidents happen.

Back during the Cuban missile crisis one of the Foxtrots heading back to port ran in to heavy seas. The fuel tanks of the Foxtrot had an open bottom (not unusual for a sub) the high seas gave the sub such high rolls that it leaked sufficient fuel that they could not make it back to base. Luckily the engineer realized if he diluted the diesel with lubricating oil they could keep the sub going and they managed to get the boat back to port.

Daniel Prates
07-08-11, 02:12 PM
ha-ha, Krauter. :O:

Anyways, you're not considering other factors, such as being damaged, loosing fuel and suddenly not being able to count on as much fuel as you thought.

What I mean is, if you ran out of fuel, a tug or a ressuply ship would be a welcome thing. I'm sure these were available in RL.

Aviv
07-08-11, 08:11 PM
I always try to stay out of the shallowest areas (the white areas on the map) and always go around them if I can. It's not so good to be caught in an area with something like 15 or 20 meters and you can't dive to escape planes or anything. I ran aground a lot of times, but I usually just re-load the game, cause it's not such a fun way to die.

TorpX
07-09-11, 02:28 AM
Yeah, another serious thing missin in SH4 is a solution for the out-of-fuel problem. A mod on this would be SOOO welcome.

Here's my idea:

Say you run out of fuel. There is a graphic of a ship towing you back to port (maybe a few sailors in shore parties laughing).

Then a graphic of a Captain awkwardly explaining things to a not-too-simpathetic Admiral.

Case 1: You had good reasons for this; damage, had to stay out that extra few days to intercept enemy CV, etc., etc. He says "Dont worry about it, accidents happen........." This is followed by a small reduction in renoun.

Case 2: You just didn't calcuate your fuel consumption correctly. And anyway it was not a very good patrol. He says " Well, we're glad you finally made it back. Have you thought about a transfer to the surface fleet?.........." This is followed by a little counter showing your renown dropping --kachink-kachink-kachink........

:haha:

Anthony W.
07-09-11, 03:23 AM
Here's my idea:

Say you run out of fuel. There is a graphic of a ship towing you back to port (maybe a few sailors in shore parties laughing).

Then a graphic of a Captain awkwardly explaining things to a not-too-simpathetic Admiral.

Case 1: You had good reasons for this; damage, had to stay out that extra few days to intercept enemy CV, etc., etc. He says "Dont worry about it, accidents happen........." This is followed by a small reduction in renoun.

Case 2: You just didn't calcuate your fuel consumption correctly. And anyway it was not a very good patrol. He says " Well, we're glad you finally made it back. Have you thought about a transfer to the surface fleet?.........." This is followed by a little counter showing your renown dropping --kachink-kachink-kachink........

:haha:

And a transfer to the Alaskan Command

Zuk
07-09-11, 06:12 PM
I hit the bloody reef near Marshall islands for the second time in one week....... :damn::damn::damn::damn::damn: Unbelievable, I'm playing the game for years and now 2 hits in one week... :wah::wah::wah: I need a head exam. :-?

Krauter
07-09-11, 09:53 PM
ha-ha, Krauter. :O:

Anyways, you're not considering other factors, such as being damaged, loosing fuel and suddenly not being able to count on as much fuel as you thought.

What I mean is, if you ran out of fuel, a tug or a ressuply ship would be a welcome thing. I'm sure these were available in RL.

In RL the U.S sent out tugs to gather subs that ran out of fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong but... I don't think the COMPACFLT or COMSUBPAC would ever waste resources for a stupid captain.

Always have a contingency plan. I can't ever remember entering port without the 10% Fuel reserve I set for myself... Once I hit 50% I know I have to start being carefull and know that it's time to start heading back soon...

TorpX
07-10-11, 12:14 AM
In RL the U.S sent out tugs to gather subs that ran out of fuel? Please correct me if I'm wrong but... I don't think the COMPACFLT or COMSUBPAC would ever waste resources for a stupid captain.

Always have a contingency plan. I can't ever remember entering port without the 10% Fuel reserve I set for myself... Once I hit 50% I know I have to start being carefull and know that it's time to start heading back soon...

I once came back with 3% fuel left. I admit this was rather too close. Sometimes targets are hard to find. :DL

You are right, though. It is very easy to calculate fuel consumption in this game (barring damage). The in-game weather has very little effect on how much fuel you use; RL captains had things much harder.