PDA

View Full Version : Sinking lifeboats.....

ddiplock
05-21-11, 04:44 PM
Can someone tell me, do you get a renown penalty or some kind of penalty for sinking enemy life boats??

I blew a 6200 ton Ryuu Maru to pieces.....first torpedo cracked her in half right down the middle. I sailed right past her lifeboat within the reach of an arm, and proceeded to machine gun the lifeboat.

Do you get into "trouble" for this?

Torplexed
05-21-11, 05:53 PM
Can someone tell me, do you get a renown penalty or some kind of penalty for sinking enemy life boats??

I blew a 6200 ton Ryuu Maru to pieces.....first torpedo cracked her in half right down the middle. I sailed right past her lifeboat within the reach of an arm, and proceeded to machine gun the lifeboat.

No get no benefit or penalty from it. As far as I recall, they don't even sink no matter how many rounds you put into them. The game engine just seems to treat them as another form of debris or flotsam.

FIREWALL
05-21-11, 05:57 PM
I 'll let your concience be the judge of that. :yep: But its only a game.

ddiplock
05-21-11, 05:58 PM
No get no benefit or penalty from it. As far as I recall, they don't even sink no matter how many rounds you put into them. The game engine just seems to treat them as another form of debris or flotsam.

Oh, they most certainly do sink. I raked one several times with the AA gun and saw it sink with my own eyes ahah, that and its confirmed as a kill too :D

Torplexed
05-21-11, 06:04 PM
Oh, they most certainly do sink. I raked one several times with the AA gun and saw it sink with my own eyes ahah, that and its confirmed as a kill too :D

Well, if they do sink, my asset management philosophy would be to save the rounds for aircraft and sampans. Those you do get small benefit for destroying.

Stealhead
05-21-11, 10:36 PM
I agree on that they do show up in the log but you get nothing for them therefore a waste of ammo that you could actually use later.Though I don't battle aircraft either seeing as I can simply dive to avoid them.

The way I see it they are basically just eye candy and in real life no submarine would have wanted to brag about sinking life boats a device that lends 0% to the enemies war fighting or supply abilities.

I can see that in some bar "Yep on the last patrol there we USS Buttfish boys sank us 5 life boats and a life raft." the other sailor would say, "Well thats just dandy us USS Badassfish boys sank 14,000 tons of Jap merchants and left the life boats behind for the sea to take those bastards aren't even worth the ammo our skipper says."

I think they aren't worth the waste of ammo unlike the Sampans and fishing boats now those are worth the effort(too bad they are all Japanese in game in reality not all of them where enemy just regular people making a living and most flew no flags) and in TMO they sometimes have AA guns on them.If the game had the detail to possibly make there be a chance that the guys in the boats could do something then it would be a whole different story.

I would love to there be a random chance that they either attack your boat or attempt to surrender to you by showing some signal if they attacked you you'd still get nothing for sinking them(lets face its a damn over sized canoe you could rack up more kills at a summer camp) but if one showed the desire to surrender and you destroyed it anyway then lose some renown because they had intel you could have used but lost due to killing them.Of course that will never get modeled in so I just stick with letting the sea have them.

Sailor Steve
05-21-11, 11:04 PM
...that and its confirmed as a kill too :D
Do you have a screenshot of your patrol report? How is it described? How much renown?

Stealhead
05-21-11, 11:45 PM
I dont know about him but I hit a life boat once with a deck gun shell just to see what would happen I think it took two or three shells IIRC and it sank and later showed up on my patrol report but I am pretty sure I got no renown for it. It did strangely say that it was 5 tons which make that one heavy life boat.

magic452
05-21-11, 11:46 PM
I sank one with a torpedo once. First hit sank the ship and the 4th. fish hit the lifeboat, got credit as "Lifeboat", don't know about the renown not much I would think.

Magic

Platapus
05-22-11, 07:04 AM
sinking enemy life boats??

Why would you want to?:hmmm:

Aviv
05-22-11, 05:49 PM
It did strangely say that it was 5 tons which make that one heavy life boat.

Maybe it was the sumo-wrestler crew?

WernherVonTrapp
05-22-11, 05:56 PM
got credit as "Lifeboat", don't know about the renown not much I would think.

Magic"0" renown.:D

magic452
05-22-11, 06:14 PM
No renown? NO RENOWN!! :down:
Should have gotten something, it cost me a torpedo. :timeout: :know:

Magic

Daniel Prates
05-23-11, 09:16 AM
We were just discussing this subject in another recent thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=183077

Dogfish40
05-23-11, 10:07 AM

If you "Accidentally" sink a lifeboat, you get a credit of 1 ton if the lifeboat is a bigger wooden job. I'm not sure what the credit is for the rubber type liferaft. It may be 1 ton as well. No Penalty

Sailor Steve
05-23-11, 11:59 AM
I think I may have found it. Go into SH4's Data folder and open the Sea folder. Right near the top you'll find NLifeboat_01 and NLifeboat_02.

Open the Cfg file for NLifeboat_01 and you'll see the following:

[Unit]
ClassName=LifeboatSmall
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NLifeboat_01/NLifeBoat_01
UnitType=105
MaxSpeed=2
Length=4.8
Width=2.8
Mast=1
Draft=0.2
Displacement=0.3
DisplacementVariation=0
RenownAwarded=0
CrewComplement=4
SurvivalRate=0
SurvivalPercentage=60
[Loadout 1]
Name=Axis
Type=0
[Loadout 2]
Name=Allied
Type=0

I highlighted the relevant lines. The displacement looks fine. If you want to get some credit for sinking them, change RenownAwarded to a positive value. If you want to be punished add a negative value, say -5 (or -500 if you're serious about it being a war crime).

I'm not 100% certain about it, but if it doesn't work you can always change it back to zero.

NLifeboat_02 is the same, but the Displacement is 1. The adjustment to the RenownAwarded line is the same.