PDA

View Full Version : SH4 and Steam

JonZac
05-20-11, 07:24 AM
Just bought the silent hunter pack from Steam (SHII, SH4 and uboat). The SHIII works fine, although I'm stuck in 1024x768 which sucks, but SH4 will not start.

Steam gives me the activation code for the game, and then I get a windows error screen telling me that SH4 is not workign propery and windows is searching for a solution. It doesn't find one and closes...leaving me at the desktop.

Vista 64-bit home premium SP2 installed.

Any ideas?

Mush Martin
05-20-11, 07:33 AM
remove install from program files and put anywhere else and try again.
(its just a guess but try it.)

MM

WernherVonTrapp
05-20-11, 08:47 AM
What are your system specs?

JonZac
05-20-11, 09:14 AM
core duo2 @ 2.6Ghz, 4 GB Ram, Nvidea 9300M GS, 256Mb VRAM

I think it should be fine, but nothing.

As for moving the install, I never had the option as the program was installed through STEAM. It goes under Program x86/steam/... and I was never given the opportunity to install it anywhere else.

Hopefully, Steam answers me back...or I just wasted $30

WernherVonTrapp
05-20-11, 11:01 AM
This is a laptop computer?

JonZac
05-20-11, 01:07 PM
Kind of...a all in one HP Touchscreen...think Monitor with the CPU behind it. Acts like a laptop though.

WernherVonTrapp
05-20-11, 01:20 PM
I suspect your graphics adapter might be the suspect here, but I hope I'm wrong. The only way to know for sure is to find out if your system can handle SHIV. The link below will take you to a website where you can find this out. Just follow all the directions.
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

JonZac
05-20-11, 01:39 PM
THanks, I'll give it a shot when I get back to that computer...hopefully that is not it.

If not I'll just have to work with SHIII...wonder if I can change the screeen resolution.

Oleif
05-20-11, 04:09 PM
Be sure to right click on the game -> properties -> local files -> check integrity of game cache. For some reason my files have corrupted many times. If I were you once that works (or something works) I would turn auto updating off especially if you use mods. Good luck.

Thrair
05-20-11, 05:59 PM
Aye, confirm the integrity of the game cache, and then turn off automatic updates.

Failing to do so will just cause a mess of problems with the steam version.

Daniel Prates
05-23-11, 09:18 AM
Is it me or everybody has problems with steam too? I experienced problems with some paradox games.

WernherVonTrapp
05-23-11, 10:26 AM
I've never used Steam, at least not that my feeble memory can recall, but I've read a lot of threads about it; mostly bad replies.

TorpX
05-23-11, 02:40 PM
Is it me or everybody has problems with steam too? I experienced problems with some paradox games.

I've never played any Steam games; and after what has been said about them, I don't intend to.

JonZac
05-23-11, 04:49 PM
Thank you for the help to check the install validation. I did that and 136 files were incorrectly loaded. Steam downloaded the correct files and the game runs fine!!

Now I just need to look at the MOD situation before I get started.:salute:

JonZac
05-23-11, 04:56 PM
Of course its only at version 1.3 with no option to update past that...so updating to 1.4 will be the next step..

Along with the ubot mission, which I bought but does nothing different...first time Steam has done something like this to me.

JonZac
05-24-11, 06:53 AM
Ok, finally sorted the problems with Steam

I purchased the SH pack which gives you SHIII, SHIV and Uboat missions.

After download SHIII worked with no issues

SHIV and Uboat missions both would not load...

HERE WAS THE PROBLEM.

You only load SHIV or SHIV Uboat missions through your Steam library...if you try and load both you will only get the first one you loaded.

Example: I loaded SHIV (if it doesn't work, use the properties-->verify integrity option listed in earler posts...fixed my install issue), worked at version 1.3. Then loaded Uboat and there was no change....I uninstalled both SHIV and Uboat and loaded UBOAT only...everything works at version 1.5.

So if you buy the pack..only load SHIV: Uboat missions...that will put you at version 1.5 and give you both American and Uboat options.

Hope this helps someone else.

Oleif
05-24-11, 09:21 AM
It sounds like we have the same problems. To get to V1.5 you need to do that validate game cache thing a few times. It will figure it out eventually. Steam is very wonky updating this game. I blame ubisoft. Or Wizards.

revanche
05-30-11, 06:17 PM
Yep, the Steam combo was a beast to install, but i finally managed to get TMO working.

All i can say is keep spamming verify game cache on your U Boats install until the game correctly shows 1.5. DO NOT verify game cache on vanilla SH4 because Steam likes to "update" everything to 1.3 despite having U Boats installed. It took 4 tries until Steam reacquired the correct files, but once it did, I turned off auto updates on both games and installed my mods. So far so good. Hope this helps.

comotoasty
08-21-11, 10:22 AM
The instructions worked for me. Thanks