PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo PCO fight

Oleif
05-17-11, 01:32 PM
I am reading Wahoo by Dick O'Kane and he describes a PCO that was bad mouthing the captain and Dick after the 4th patrol in Midway. The boys leave before they start a fight but return to the scene and find it locked up. Before the next patrol they had a new PCO... I dont know if the old PCO graduated or what. Does anyone know who he was or what happened to him?

Mush Martin
05-17-11, 03:45 PM
No but during the first four patrols of Wahoo it was common to lose
a third of the officers and crew everytime the made port at the end
of a war patrol.

if it helps the complete logs of SS-238 Wahoo are available online
for free last time I looked anyway I dont have a link but google
it, they are a great read

Mush.

Daniel Prates
05-17-11, 06:21 PM
... I dont have a link but google
it, they are a great readMush.

Oleif, when you do find it, post it here. Will'ya?? :yeah:

Mush Martin
05-17-11, 06:32 PM
http://www.mackinnon.org/wahoo-home-frame.html

Stealhead
05-17-11, 08:06 PM
PCO=Prospective Commanding Officer for command of a submarine(not the Wahoo) he was talking ---- about Mush and the Wahoo whole crew because he was an EPIC FAIL as the younger kids say he had been CO of the Wahoo then replaced by Mush he dislike that both Mush and O'Kane where junior in rank than he was but where doing better than he was

You must have mis-read there was no plan to take him from Wahoo or to train that PCO on the next patrol that guy was just there in the bar and saw old "friends" and got bitchy. The man was Commander Kennedy he ended up getting two Sliver Stars later one in destroyers it says in the back of the book he got canned and replaced by Mush for not being aggressive enough by Lockwood I think.

Mush Martin
05-17-11, 08:09 PM
apparently I am a bit dyslexic and t'ndid realize. :damn:

TorpX
05-17-11, 10:21 PM
I am reading Wahoo by Dick O'Kane and he describes a PCO that was bad mouthing the captain and Dick after the 4th patrol in Midway. The boys leave before they start a fight but return to the scene and find it locked up. Before the next patrol they had a new PCO... I dont know if the old PCO graduated or what. Does anyone know who he was or what happened to him?

The old PCO was Duncan C. MacMillan. He did indeed bad-mouth Morton and O'Kane. He was very critical of Morton's tactics and leadership, but Morton's success made him bulletproof. O'Kane had MacMillan's belongings gathered up and put dockside with orders he not be allowed aboard. MacMillan went on to command Thresher and had some success. BTW, this comes from Unrestricted Warfare by James F. DeRose. If you like Wahoo, you would like this other too.

Stealhead
05-17-11, 10:31 PM
Then who is the Kennedy fellow that he mentions in the book in the beginning?I just scanned it a while ago.Sorry hard to keep up with so many different subs books I have read the stories get jumbled in the brain sometimes.

TorpX
05-18-11, 12:11 AM
Yes, I know what you mean.
Kennedy was the CO before Morton took over. He was fairly timid and did not do very well. It all made for some rough going didn't it?

Daniel Prates
05-18-11, 09:42 AM
Great site Mr. Maritin.

It has some great pictures. The balao is not half as cramped as I though it would be.

Thank's god there's coffee!

http://www.mackinnon.org/Bowfin-CoffeePot-ForwardGalleyHatch.jpg

Oleif
05-18-11, 10:16 AM
Thanks a bunch for the replies. I will have to read Unrestricted warfare, sounds good. Im sure most of you guys have read this but here is a link for "Sink 'em All" by Charles Lockwood. Awesome read and great overview of the Sub war from a higher ups perspective. http://www.archive.org/details/sinkemallsubmari011008mbp

TorpX
05-20-11, 09:53 PM
Actually, I have not read that one yet. I didn't know it was available online. I thought that only public domain books could be obtained in this way.

Daniel Prates
05-23-11, 09:20 AM
Hey great post, Oleif.

There is a website full of public domain books, called 'project gutemberg' (google it and you shall find it). It is likely that there is a lot of books there on the subject, they have books on literally every subject.