PDA

View Full Version : wolfpacks

usslionfish
01-09-11, 09:35 PM
this mat be a dumb question but why cant you call in assistance from ai subs to sink convoys and task forces because i know us subs formed wolfpacks in situations like that

razark
01-09-11, 09:47 PM
US submarines did operate in a sort of pack, but they did not operate the same way the German wolfpacks did. The Germans would have one boat shadow the convoy, reporting on it and guiding in other boats, all operating under shore-based command.

US packs operated as joint search units, not joint attack groups. They would each search their areas, and kept in contact with each other. Any contacts located would be passed on to the other boats, but each sub would attack on its own, without waiting for or expecting the other boats. They were also independent, with the pack commander controlling the group, instead of orders being passed from Pearl.

Short answer:
They are, they're the ones passing you contact reports.
:DL

Bubblehead1980
01-10-11, 12:22 AM
US submarines did operate in a sort of pack, but they did not operate the same way the German wolfpacks did. The Germans would have one boat shadow the convoy, reporting on it and guiding in other boats, all operating under shore-based command.

US packs operated as joint search units, not joint attack groups. They would each search their areas, and kept in contact with each other. Any contacts located would be passed on to the other boats, but each sub would attack on its own, without waiting for or expecting the other boats. They were also independent, with the pack commander controlling the group, instead of orders being passed from Pearl.

Short answer:
They are, they're the ones passing you contact reports.
:DL

Im not really sure how to implement but I've been after the pro modders here to insert US AI submarines into the campaign.Could be done I am sure bc enemy AI subs can be put in.While they may not be able to fire torpedos(but they prob could, someone did mak ean AI torpedo mod for enemy patrol boats a while back) they could travel certain routes and attack convoys, take some heat off you if enemy DD's spotted them or detected them if they could be submerged.Would also be neat to detect a sub on surface(like you can in TMO or RSRD) which we currently know will be enemy but then have to be careful about firing because may be a friendly sub.Would add a while new aspect to the game.Imagine leaving Pearl Harbor headed to Midway for fuel before going to the empire, spotting a submarine on surface but not knowing if its IJN or USN, would be cool to have to close.Sometimes could be US , sometimes not.Sounds :rock:

I wish Lurker was still around, he did such great work with RSRD, he could prob add this in with RSRD and make it even better.I would be do not have the skills nor time needed.