PDA

View Full Version : A very cool way to determine separation

commandosolo2009
01-07-11, 03:57 PM
Attention on Deck
:salute:
Hello sailors,

Since the radio reports of contacts, convoys and task forces are in coordinates format, I figured why not use this to our space-age limits. I know this is not 100% orthodox sim-wise, but hey, instead of humping it out for TC then ending up kissing a DD upclose, you now have a tool to determine your separation in miles or kilometers

http://boulter.com/gps/distance

You input the coordinates of the convoy or taskforce in To field
then you input your coordinates (wait, how do I know my coordinates? simple, you press Send Status report, and on the captains panel, select messages, then select messages sent. Take care to note that messages sent fresh are at the bottom at either case sent or received .) Nowin the sent messages are your current coordinates in Lat, Long, take these and put them in the From field, then select the mile/km unit you prefer.

Format for input: example

32 40 34.06N,
117 09 27.78W

EDIT:
where; Degrees, hours, minutes, seconds.
32 is degrees
40 is minutes
34.06 is seconds

In our case, the contact report is shown in the degree, minutes format. So, for a contact at 33 15' N 143 33' E, you input as:

33 00 15N, 143 00 33E

Once you click Calculate Distances, look below to find the separation in selected unit of distance km/mi. Click on Map Waypoints to verify your position. This is good if you have a convoy ages away and you want to decide whether its worth to burn the gas.

I hope you like it.

Armistead
01-07-11, 06:02 PM
Megamods add the Nomograph, works great if used properly. There use to a small mod for it. Great for plotting intercept points if you get a flash. The only thing you have to remember is ships often change courses, sometimes drastically in the game, so the closer the better.

commandosolo2009
01-07-11, 06:16 PM
Megamods add the Nomograph, works great if used properly. There use to a small mod for it. Great for plotting intercept points if you get a flash. The only thing you have to remember is ships often change courses, sometimes drastically in the game, so the closer the better.

If I play harsh on my machine, she'll quit on me. Besides, stock is cool somewhat. At least its basic, now I've tried TMO on the old desktop (R.I.P.) and it was cool, but function wise, I dont think my machine can handle say, the gold route chart, or the TDC interface. I dont want to stretch it out so soon. I wanna bring her in slow. I'm enabling certain mods as required, like pacific environments, which gives good tone to the waters for cinematic work. I also have the realistic depth charge sound mod. These things wont fry the i5 on my chine. About the ships, yes, and I think we could attribute the course change to the wind direction? as in weather reports? I may try the nomograph as a standalone mod.

Armistead
01-07-11, 09:07 PM
Wind doesn't effect course in game, to any degree anyway. Ships often change courses going from base to base, ect .., lot's of land to dodge in some areas. The game uses a mission editor to set courses using waypoints, not only can you have radical course changes, but speed can change in between waypoints.

I have marked course over a thousand miles and if you go straight from point A to B you may be off a few degrees. Mods do allow for weather to effect speed, high waves in TMO can slow you down a few knots.

Pacific Env was one of the original env. mods. Glad you can run that.

Platapus
01-07-11, 09:22 PM
32 40 34.06N,
117 09 27.78W

where; Degrees, hours, minutes, seconds.
32 is degrees
40 is hours
34 is minutes
.06 is seconds

Not quite right

32 degrees, 40 minutes, 34.06 seconds north

117 degrees, 09 minutes, 27.78 seconds West

No hours.

commandosolo2009
01-08-11, 02:40 AM
Not quite right

32 degrees, 40 minutes, 34.06 seconds north