PDA

View Full Version : Back to Perth, and a shocker :(

commandosolo2009
12-31-10, 09:06 AM
Attention on Deck
:salute:
Hello skippers,

I just finished my 8th patrol without complying to HQ orders of humping it all the way to Zingapore for a couple lousy photo shoots. I bet there was something back there, but I dont care. Anyhow, the reason this is started, because of my effiin crew, the upgrades,and the medals.

First off, It seems I fell into the stern DG bug, and cant get special crew members off to rest after shooting down a ****load of Jap Bettys, Zeros, and HK Search crafts. When I try to move this one guy with GUNS 109/100 skill, for a lower 70/100 skill chap, CTD.:x:damn:

Is there a workaround to this? I certainly wont start a new career over a lousy bug.

Second. Its 17th of September 1942, and I remember on the older computer, the crew had some green abilities, which I cant find uptill now.
The highest ranking crew member I've got is one Lietenant - 12 (and its my 9th patrol to start). I remember also there were guys in Black suits and white hats, I hope its not the German kampfain, cuz that will:damn: .Pretty much like the Black suit skipper on the main menu portraits, only an icon. How high can promotion go? and I cant promote anyone further since my Officers and Petty Officers are at max, ideas?

Thirdly, Does flak sport AP AND HE? I'm confused as my best conning officer (the 109/100 guns guy), tells me were out, and I press AP to find a 1000+ round stash. Bug?

Fourth, Where can I find my rank? More importantly, where are the big fishes? Where are those tonnes hiding? All I got so far was a lousy LMCF and the manual shows big assed ships, are these limited to Missions?

Fifth, the Pacific air cover by Jap AF. Is ther like a chart for the areas covered throughout the war, cuz I could certainly easily, evade the painful RC report every 2 seconds on 128x.

Finally, is there like a KM grid-like map for the American boats? I got a hard-on for jotting down my positions but dont feel like using the KM grid, (pretty much like treason).:nope:

Sorry for the exam-style questions, but I'm disappointed. Will probably :|\\

I'm goin' down
12-31-10, 10:23 AM
I am looking forward to the responses, as I found your writing style so difficult to follow for some of your issues that replying accurately would be difficult.

For starters, you might want to advise if you are playing stock, or, if a major mod is activated, stating what it is? If RSRDC is activated, the TFs and Convoys, major battles, etc. are inserted in the game at historically accurate times and routes. Even the number of ships and ship types echo reality from what I have observed. See the RSRDC readme. In 1942 there were TFs engagements in the Phillipines, the Battle of the Coral Sea in May, and the Battle of Midway in June. There may be other locations as well, such as Guadalcanal, but I haven't looked lately. Go the website showing the map location and dates of major Pacific naval battles in WW2, and there is information on other sea battles, including the components of the various fleets and maps.

Armistead
12-31-10, 11:03 AM
Yep, list the mods you're using. Where you using a laptop?

Check out this for finding stuff in RSRD. I showed two in black and white, one invasion forces, the other TF movement the first year of the war. All of those on those two maps happen in RSRD, exact dates, courses, ect.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178515
The first year of the was if you use those maps you can stay engaged with huge convoys or TF for a year. I start out of Manila and usually attack the large invasion force a lil north of the San Bern Straits. When Manila falls you dock at Surabaya at Java. During late Feb and early March 42 several large invasion groups hit Java, one convoy has about 50 ships, so it can slow down if your specs are lows.

Here is a good link for the Solomons Campaign. You can partake of all the battles listed here. A few have large surface battles between fleets.

http://www.historyanimated.com/pacificwaranimated/

commandosolo2009
12-31-10, 12:52 PM
I am looking forward to the responses, as I found your writing style so difficult to follow for some of your issues that replying accurately would be difficult.

For starters, you might want to advise if you are playing stock, or, if a major mod is activated,stating what it is?Mods listed above your question.

Yep, list the mods you're using. Where you using a laptop?
Above and yes a laptop is used

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=178515
The first year of the was if you use those maps you can stay engaged with huge convoys or TF for a year. I start out of Manila and usually attack the large invasion force a lil north of the San Bern Straits. When Manila falls you dock at Surabaya at Java. During late Feb and early March 42 several large invasion groups hit Java, one convoy has about 50 ships, so it can slow down if your specs are lows.
http://www.historyanimated.com/pacificwaranimated/

OK, to put it bluntly:

1- the Stern DG bug, is there a work around to it?
2- the special abilities of the crew are not seen, and so far, its September 1942 . The draft office shows no recruits with special abilities, is this normal? And are the ranks higher than Lieutenant (12)?
3- Does flak gun fire both AP, and HE or is it a bug?
4- How to know my rank? as captain, commodore, or admiral, etc....? And where to find the large tonnage warships and commercial ships?

5- Is there a chart for SH4? the one that usually comes with the game? cuz my game is off steam, no disc, no eye-candy....
6- To communicate with HQ, and other boats, subs must have a grid map. Is there one for SH4? for the American campaign? like the Germans have their KM grid system, AN, AM, AO, etc...?

Mods: Pacific environment, Real depth charge sound mod, 3000 meter plotter, no mega mods installed.

Armistead
12-31-10, 02:44 PM
If I remember the stern deck gun issue is a stock bug. I think to correct it, use a save before it and don't take the stern gun, keep the bow gun.

I don't think you get the special ability guys in stock, I know TMO adds them....

Technically, your not part of the shown crew, your rank increases when you finish patrol. Usually you get a message or I think you can view it in the office in your log book...again, can't remember how stock works.

Not sure if you're talking about the deck gun or AA guns when you say flak. You can forget using the DG for planes, although I once shot one down. I think both AP and HE are included in stock, but you have to click on the type to load it.

The only chart is your shipping lane chart. I think stock has it, but probably attached to the radio, you have to drag the radio to the right to pull the chart. Fleetboats didn't use grids, they use longitude/latitude. Reports on enemy shipping will use these.

Finding tonnage in stock is more random than scripted traffic, although some of the battles are included, but poorly scripted. Use the shipping lanes on the map, hang out in straits like the Bungo, Luzon, ect.. Stock doe's have a few invasion forces. Stock doesn't include some of the major ports like Truk. If I recall I don't think it includes the Solomons, nor any major traffic there.

Wish I could help more, just know little of stock play....

I'm goin' down
12-31-10, 05:41 PM
OK, to put it bluntly:

1- the Stern DG bug, is there a work around to it?
2- the special abilities of the crew are not seen, and so far, its September 1942 . The draft office shows no recruits with special abilities, is this normal? And are the ranks higher than Lieutenant (12)?
3- Does flak gun fire both AP, and HE or is it a bug?
4- How to know my rank? as captain, commodore, or admiral, etc....? And where to find the large tonnage warships and commercial ships?

5- Is there a chart for SH4? the one that usually comes with the game? cuz my game is off steam, no disc, no eye-candy....
6- To communicate with HQ, and other boats, subs must have a grid map. Is there one for SH4? for the American campaign? like the Germans have their KM grid system, AN, AM, AO, etc...?

Mods: Pacific environment, Real depth charge sound mod, 3000 meter plotter, no mega mods installed.

Amistead and I play TMO2.0 with beta and RSRDC. If you play those:
1. Beyond my capablity to comment.
2. special abilities are acitvated.
3. I believe HE is disabled (or is it AP?).
4. I always figure I am the captain, and have never played a career long enough to get promoted, so I do not know the answer. It doesn't matter anyway. I command the boat regardless, unless my kid takes over when I am chasing the dogs.
5. You can activate a mod that updates the pull down map in TMO and shows convoy routes, and another mod shows airbases.
6. see Armistead's answer, as I do not know about grid systems.

I doubt most experienced captains play stock, but if any do, I assume they are mod heavy, and use many of Webster's GFO mods. My opinion is that FOTRS has the best graphics; RFB with RSRDC is decent; TMO with RSRDC is the best and toughest overall. We Dive at Dawn is good too, but is a slightly different game because you command a trench boat. If you do not activate the easier AI mod in TMO, the game can be quite a challenge. For We Dive at Dawn, you can use multi-SH4 to have access to both games on your desk top, which is what I do.

commandosolo2009
01-01-11, 03:15 AM
Thanks!:salute:

WernherVonTrapp
01-01-11, 07:18 AM
In the stock version of the game, you should get a choice between AP or HE shells for your AA guns. When you see the "Shell" icons on the right side of your screen, click on the type of shell you wish to use and it should load into the gun. The DG works in the sme manner except, you won't have a flak gun, or the shells, until sometime late in the war, 1944/45 I think. Depending on the type of AA gun and the shell you're using, in stock, 1000 rounds is possible, I think. It's been so long since I played but that's what I recall. The (Flak) DG fires several different types of rounds as do the AA guns.
There is a workaround for the DG bug that used to work for me. The only problem is that it didn't work all the time and I can't remember the exact procedure. It involved something like saving the game in Home port, restarting and then changing the location of the DG /OR/ changing the DG before saving, restarting and then your crew appears. I can't remember so I would suggest making one save as soon as you enter port and then experiment after making an additional save.
Communications with HQ doesn't need a grid map in the Pacific theater since all communications are automated. That is, automatically processed in-game as it pertains to your given situation. You cannot send custom tailored messages.
I do remember special abilities crew members in the stock version but forget how frequently they appeared. I believe it has alot to due with the total tonnage sunk as well as the number of patrols/assignments you've completed.
Hope this helps some.;)

Rip
01-02-11, 02:20 PM
I can't remember if it was stock (been ages since I played stock) but ths gunners would not load ammo initially. So I would at the start of each patrol go to each gun station and click on ammo to load. After that they were good and would reload on their own.

I am not sure about the ranks but don't worry about it. IRL only a LCDR or CDR would command a fleet boat. They would be gone before or on promotion to Captain and either get a staff job or be bound for the surface fleet.