PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question: Radio Messages clue to hotspots?

LoBlo
12-11-10, 11:34 PM
Noob Question:

I'll still trying to learn my way around the career mode. I'm I right to think the the Fox messages that we receive during missions are clues to hotspot and famous battles that are about to happen on the map? If so some of the messages are clear (battle of coral sea, battle of midway, etc), but some are cryptic to where the action is going to be. Does anyone have a list of which messages refer to which battles and where? For example, the first 'invasion of borneo' message comes a few days into the career, but I'm not sure where the action will take place.

Or am I totally off?

magic452
12-12-10, 01:21 AM
It mostly depends on which mod you are using.
In stock I don't think they are relevant at all.

TMO, Duci reworked the traffic layers quit a bit but I haven't noticed any
relevance to big battles unless the message so states.

RSRD has all the big battles and the messages will often point you to an area where something will happen, either a convoy or a battle.

But to find battles you really need to know your history.
Check out this site. http://www.combinedfleet.com/battles

Magic

Monica Lewinsky
12-12-10, 09:26 AM
Another FATAL mistake is to have ET "phone home". In other words, lets say you are patrolling off Japan and you have 60% fuel remaining and you have completed mission objectives. So you send in a radio message on your status. Big MISTAKE. Now you get shafted by having a new objective to go further west to the East China Sea.

You'll never have enough fuel for the return trip!

LoBlo
12-12-10, 10:24 AM
Another FATAL mistake is to have ET "phone home". In other words, lets say you are patrolling off Japan and you have 60% fuel remaining and you have completed mission objectives. So you send in a radio message on your status. Big MISTAKE. Now you get shafted by having a new objective to go further west to the East China Sea.

You'll never have enough fuel for the return trip!

Is there a penalty for incomplete objectives?

Monica Lewinsky
12-12-10, 12:07 PM
Is there a penalty for incomplete objectives?

An educated GUESS is less Renown points? Only a guess. I NEVER use the radio AFTER I accomplish the original mission objectives. That does mean I am totally correct - just my style though. :zzz:

Armistead
12-12-10, 01:19 PM
You won't get punished for not going to a patrol zone, but you need to sink ships. Your patrol will be based on points. I seldom do patrol zones, prefer to go where the action is.

Not sure how the zones are in stock, but the patrol zones do match RSRD fairly well. Main thing to remember ships come through patrol zones at a scheduled time. If you take your time getting to the zone, even though the zone is still active yellow, you may have missed the ships. Same if you get there early, many leave for another zone when the zone goes gray, the ships may be another few days from reaching. The reason most can't find ships in the zones in RSRD is not waiting long enough. I'll hang around a couple days after the patrol is gray. Just remember ships have a schedule time to come through the zone, regardless if the patrol zone is yellow or gray, you have to be there on time. Usually if you head to the zone at 10kts, you should get there in time....but hang around for awhile.

WernherVonTrapp
12-13-10, 08:39 AM
The reason most can't find ships in the zones in RSRD is not waiting long enough. I'll hang around a couple days after the patrol is gray. Just remember ships have a schedule time to come through the zone, regardless if the patrol zone is yellow or gray, you have to be there on time. Usually if you head to the zone at 10kts, you should get there in time....but hang around for awhile.Recently been finding out that this is true. Though I was still in my active patrol zone, a small CA task force (originally radioed to have been in the area a few days prior to my arrival) came through my sphere of influence in the Bismarck Sea about 150nm W of Rabaul. I sank a Kuma CL and an Auxiliary Cruiser.:yep:
A lot of those radio alerts will be about convoys or TFs that are out of range so don't let them goad you into any wild goose chases. Once in a while, you'll get one that's close by. As previously mentioned, make sure you pay attention to the historical time line and routes of approach or you could still end up in a wild goose chase. Darn near happened to me at Guadalcanal.