PDA

View Full Version : Time Compression Tweak?

Dogfish40
12-06-10, 11:54 AM
I thought I read on this forum someplace about being able to tweak the time compression properties, here's why.
When you're in TC and you have a "Hit" (Radar, Hydrophone ect), the TC comes down to 8 most of the time. I want it to come down to 1 and only 1. I had a DD sneak up behind me during TC and by the time the warning came in and the TC came down to 8, it was all over (I wasn't using all that much TC, 256 I think). I went up top for a look and sure enough, the DD had made a perfect 0 degree run from the rear where my hydrophone operator probably couldn't hear it.:wah:
If the TC had gone to 1 instead of 8, I might have had time to maneuver. I will definitely be zig-zagging from now on.
Any Ideas !?
D40

Zero Niner
12-06-10, 11:27 PM
It can be done, and is relatively easy. It involves changing a line in the (I think) comd.cfg file.
Sorry, my memory is hazy as I've been on extended shore leave from SH4.

Ducimus
12-06-10, 11:35 PM
i think the file is...

myDocuments/SH4/main.cfg

In there you'll find the Time compression settings. Can pretty much set it how you like. One thing i like to do since i go AFK alot, is set aircraft detection to -1 (yeah, thats minus one). That way, when im off in another room, for whatever reason, if an aircraft comes up on me, the game pauses for me until i return to the keyboard to deal with the threat. :O:

Bubblehead1980
12-07-10, 12:12 AM
hmm I would like to change it so even if close to land you can go to high time compression.I was trying to transit panama canal on a sightseeing trip and it was painfully slow.Possible to make it so it does not restrict the amount of tc you can do?

hotrod1525
12-07-10, 08:55 AM
Can this be done while on patrol are is it better to tweak it betweem patrols?

Dogfish40
12-07-10, 11:55 AM
i think the file is...

myDocuments/SH4/main.cfg

In there you'll find the Time compression settings. Can pretty much set it how you like. One thing i like to do since i go AFK alot, is set aircraft detection to -1 (yeah, thats minus one). That way, when im off in another room, for whatever reason, if an aircraft comes up on me, the game pauses for me until i return to the keyboard to deal with the threat. :O:

Exactly what I'm looking for!! Thanks to you and 09er for the data.
That is the most frustrating thing,...8...why 8 when it's so important to go to 1 or even -1 (I think I'll try -1 like you suggest). On 8, if you're on the bridge you can see that time is still hauling, giving airplanes or DD's all that speed to do you. Thanks again!!:salute:
Good Hunting
D40/USS Drum
Edit: PS; Ducimus; Isn't zero the time stopped state? I'm curious as to what -1 is. I think I read on one of your old posts about you entering -1 on something but I can't remember why. Anyway, If I enter zero, isn't that the number for "Time Stopped"?

Dogfish40
12-07-10, 12:19 PM
i think the file is...

myDocuments/SH4/main.cfg

Alright, now I have a new problem. When I try to save the settings, I get a message "Please check whether this file is opened in another program".
So I cahge the settings, but it won't let me save it. I am running Vista basic.
Thanks
D40
Edit: I got it. I had to take the 'Main.cfg' file out of the root folder, placing it carefully on the desktop. Then I copied the 'main.cfg' file placed in the new settings and renamed it main1.cfg. It saved then. I placed the file back into the program and it seems to be working fine!
Thanks again for the help on this!
D40

Dogfish40
12-10-10, 09:44 AM
Well, it seems I can't get the Time Comp tweak to work. Here's what I've done so far.
I got the cfg. file titled main and edited it w'notepad. It would not let me save the file (see below), so I took the original file, placed it on my desktop and copied the file with the tweaks to the desktop with a new name (main1.cfg) and placed this file in the cfg folder in the game.
The game played just fine but alas, it seems my hydrophones were not working (except for the sub props at 180) so I replaced the original file and it's back to normal.
I'm basically back where I started. I can tweak the main.cfg file but I can not save it. Does someone know why it will not save with notepad++ ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
D40:salute:

Jan Kyster
12-10-10, 12:18 PM
...and placed this file in the cfg folder in the game.I think you're editing the wrong file? :hmmm:

The main.cfg in the games-folder is like a template for use, when creating a new career. The main.cfg you're looking for is in your documents folder.
Like D:\Documents\SH4\Data\cfg\main.cfg

Btw. I remember a warning against storing old files or copies in game folders. SH4 may read and use them... :shifty: Make a mod instead...

Dogfish40
12-10-10, 02:00 PM
I think you're editing the wrong file? :hmmm:

The main.cfg in the games-folder is like a template for use, when creating a new career. The main.cfg you're looking for is in your documents folder.
Like D:\Documents\SH4\Data\cfg\main.cfg

Btw. I remember a warning against storing old files or copies in game folders. SH4 may read and use them... :shifty: Make a mod instead...

You're the man!
I was in the root folder. I got the wrong impression from the directions and thought I was supposed to use the main.cfg from the root folder.
I just saved the changes and it should work fine.
As far as the warning, I'm on it. I do not keep any unused or old files in the root or my documents SH4 folders. I do have a seperate folder on a differant drive for all these files including downloads.
Thanks so much for the info.
Good hunting:salute:
D40