PDA

View Full Version : Very Strange Encounter

Dogfish40
11-30-10, 04:02 PM
First, The USS Drum's Biggest catch to date, An 18,000 ton Passenger liner. Sorry for the lousy pic, I was a bit excited and it was my first pic.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa385/Dogfish40/SH4Img2010-11-26_1731.jpg

Then, after clearing the area, we get a "Warship moving fast" hit, I had to double check with my Exec, "Take a look" and he confirmed it. Then we both shut up and cleared the heck outta' the area.
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa385/Dogfish40/SH4Img2010-11-27_07.jpg

I never thought I'd really see this!
Good Hunting
End of patrol/
D40/USS Drum

Vaux
11-30-10, 04:59 PM
The Flying Dutchman. I've read about it on here, but have never seen it. From what I've read, you have to have been out on patrol for a long time, and have to be in a particular area to see it.

Schroeder
11-30-10, 05:59 PM
I've encountered it myself a few years back.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/3361363361636634.jpg

It was.....interesting.

http://foto.arcor-online.net/palb/alben/54/1012554/3639623263666235.jpg

Dogfish40
11-30-10, 06:24 PM
I've encountered it myself a few years back.

It was.....interesting.

WOW! I didn't think to comb the decks to see WHO was sailing her. I would guess asking her for a date would be out of the question!

D40

Jack Cutter
11-30-10, 06:28 PM
...That's just creepy.

Also, I didn't know Japan ran those huge passenger liners. I'd love to score some hits on one of those. That thing looks like the Titanic!

EDIT: Has anyone been crazy enough to try to torpedo the Dutchman? That'd be my tactic. Scare those ghosts right back. lol

Davy_Jones
11-30-10, 06:55 PM
I've just encountered this in my recent patrol

Swabbie
11-30-10, 08:24 PM
Holy Crow! Nice Easter egg.

If I ever see the Dutchmen. It will be Marquess of Queensberry rules. Deck gun to deck gun.

NorthBeach
12-01-10, 01:22 AM
A lot of people have tried to kill the Dutchman. Never a report of anyone even scratching her hull...

Red Devil
12-01-10, 06:47 AM
Somewhere in here is a huge thread on the Dutchman. I actually sat and watched a japanese destroyer engaging the Dutchman in the Luzon Straits, the Dutchman did not return fire and the destroyer recorded no hits. :salute:

Vaux
12-01-10, 07:31 AM
WOW! I didn't think to comb the decks to see WHO was sailing her. I would guess asking her for a date would be out of the question!

D40

Clearly, she's not the dating kind. :03:

Red Devil
12-01-10, 08:04 AM
These liners are common place on defined routes from Japan to overseas bases. Loopk for a fast convoy on your maps and thats them.

Dogfish40
12-01-10, 11:09 AM
...That's just creepy.

Also, I didn't know Japan ran those huge passenger liners. I'd love to score some hits on one of those. That thing looks like the Titanic!

EDIT: Has anyone been crazy enough to try to torpedo the Dutchman? That'd be my tactic. Scare those ghosts right back. lol

What was really exciting was the fact that there were two. You can just make out the bow of the second liner coming into the pic on the far right. The second liner wasn't as big and was basically gravy. My intentions was on the big liner and I gave her three torps just to make sure she didn't have any luck, although, she probably would have gone down with two. Passenger liners were not built to withstand icebergs much less torpedoes. Liner two was (I think) around 9000 tons or something like that. THAT was really exciting, broad daylight, calm seas and I'm just waiting to get bombed from up top. Anyway, I'm definitely going back to that area next patrol if possible.
D40:salute:
Good Hunting

WernherVonTrapp
12-01-10, 11:49 AM
Did you by any chance encounter the Dutchman in the Luzon Strait? That's where I saw it.

Red Devil
12-01-10, 01:49 PM
Yes, the luzon straits

Dogfish40
12-02-10, 04:43 PM
Did you by any chance encounter the Dutchman in the Luzon Strait? That's where I saw it.

Luzon strait, confirmed!! That's affirmative.
D40

Kptlt. Neuerburg
12-02-10, 05:20 PM
I saw the Flying Dutchman three times in one patrol in the Luzon Strait, and the first time I witnessed a japanese Zero attempting to attack it!:haha:

Vaux
12-03-10, 07:19 AM
Luzon strait, confirmed!! That's affirmative.
D40

Oooh! I'm in the Luzon Straits right now! *Sweeps the horizon with his binoculars*

Dogfish40
12-03-10, 11:04 AM
Oooh! I'm in the Luzon Straits right now! *Sweeps the horizon with his binoculars*

Someone mentioned that the patrol needed to be a long one as well. I don't know for sure, but my patrol was definitely a long one just because I kept getting more orders.
Yeah, Luzon straits!! Keep yer eyes open:ping: for a "Warship, moving fast" and don't waste any torpedos on it. Send some screen shots if you get her.
Good Hunting!:up:
D40

NoGoodLandLubber
12-03-10, 11:25 AM
...Yeah, Luzon straits!! Keep yer eyes open:ping: for a "Warship, moving fast" and don't waste any torpedos on it. Send some screen shots if you get her....D40

Is it possible to sink her?? I mean, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while! Talk about a sweet freakin' pic that would be! Really "bagging the elephant!"

I personally would use the "Spray and Pray" method...not to be confused with the "Pull and Pray" method used strictly on port calls! :har:

Dogfish40
12-03-10, 01:24 PM
Is it possible to sink her?? I mean, even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in a while! Talk about a sweet freakin' pic that would be! Really "bagging the elephant!"

I personally would use the "Spray and Pray" method...not to be confused with the "Pull and Pray" method used strictly on port calls! :har:

In real life, can you imagine trying to explain that "Kill" away to command?!
At the court-martial, it would make Capt' Queeg look like John-Paul Jones.
"Yes Sir, The Flying Dutchman. We sank a ghost ship, yes Sir":88) "You're taking my command away?? What For??".... "it was those damn strawberry's...":O:

D40/ Somewhere past midway...
USS Drum

Red Devil
12-03-10, 05:54 PM
to the right of the island string

andy_311
12-03-10, 08:05 PM

Nope she can't be sunk your torps will go straight through her hull and the ship is Nuetral.
I created a single mission just to see if she could be destroyed with the dutchman being attacked by 2 heavy jap cruisers and quite a few GM4 Betty/Torp bombers all failed the dutch man actually crippled a cruiser but if you look carefully her deck guns are at an angle so her guns cannot fire straight.

Red Devil
12-04-10, 06:16 AM
Since I moved to Win 7 I have problems screen shooting and loading into paint - all I get is a bloody black screen. I wonder if its to do with the fact that 'movement' is taking place?