PDA

View Full Version : switching over from SH3...

Arael
11-23-10, 02:47 PM
I've been playing Silent Hunter 3 for a year or two now, and every time I try out Silent Hunter 4, I can't get use to the differences in the user interface. Are there any mods that reproduce SH3's user interface for SH4? Specifically, I'm looking for something that switches key assignments to SH3 standard. Modification of the map and course plotting to be more like SH3 would be nice as well. Is there anything like that?

Ducimus
11-23-10, 04:20 PM
every time I try out Silent Hunter 4, I can't get use to the differences in the user interface.

That's understandable, the differences are striking. I think the reason the UI was done the way it is in SH4, is because it supports multiple resolutions. The SH3 UI, was designed on one resolution. 1024 by 758. Trying the same UI in SH4, would cause all sorts of weirdness.

Are there any mods that reproduce SH3's user interface for SH4?

There is a UI mod for uboats that is similar to SH3 in terms of TDC inside the periscope, but that's about it. Either way (uboat or fleet boat), you'll still have to use the orders bar.

Specifically, I'm looking for something that switches key assignments to SH3 standard.

The supermod TMO uses a key assignment configuration that is very much like SH3. The author of TMO had played SH3 for several years and found it very hard to switch to a new keyboard layout. So the SH3 layout is what he used for TMO. There's also a standalone mod for key assigment if you don't want to use TMO.

Modification of the map and course plotting to be more like SH3 would be nice as well. Is there anything like that?
I think there was a mod somewhere that changed the nav map tools to the old SH3 nav map tools, but i'm not sure where it went. Just keep in mind it changes the 1024_768_menu.ini file, and will likely cause mod compatibility issues with mods that change the same file.

Alky
11-23-10, 04:53 PM
There's also a standalone mod for key assigment if you don't want to use TMO.

I use SH Keymapper, ( http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168297 )
It has a great graphic interface and is easy to use. Change your keyboard layout any way you want :D

sharkbit
11-24-10, 11:07 AM
I use SH Keymapper, ( http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168297 )
It has a great graphic interface and is easy to use. Change your keyboard layout any way you want :D

+1 :yeah:

I use it as well. You can change key commands to your heart's content.

You get use to the UI after time.

:)