PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Cape Equano?

I'm goin' down
11-08-10, 10:06 PM
I cannot find the location for the Battle of Cape Engano on 10/25/44. I am sailing all around and cannot locate it. Did lurker mod it in RSRDC? Does anyone have a screen shot, so I can find it on my Nav Map? (sorry for the misspelling of the name of the battle in the title to the thread.)

(Something tells me this right down Armstead's alley...)

Post script -- An internet search indicated that the battle was 200 miles east of the cape. I was there. Late on the 25th I came accross an American TF heading south. I spent an hour tracking it before I determined it was U.S. I never found the Jap fleet; however, I did see three fleets of aircraft heading north earlier in the day. Just so I would not leave frustrated, I decided to sink a couple of U.S. carriers at 5,000 yds. (I have no pride.) I set up and waited patiently for them to cross the firing point-15 degrees starboard. When the first carrier closed to 40 degrees starboard my screen blinked. That was strange, I thought. Looking through the periscope, I saw nothing. No ships at all. I tried sonar. Nothing. Where, oh where, did the pesky little TF go? It had disappeared!!! No sign of it on the Nav Map either! A time warp, perhaps? (Remember that movie starring Kirk Douglas?) Better yet, the World wonders where Halsey is!? I never found the Japanese fleet. Serves me right.

WernherVonTrapp
11-09-10, 07:10 AM
When the first carrier closed to 40 degrees starboard my screen blinked. That was strange, I thought. That usually happens when something in The Matrix changes.:D
Actually, I've noticed that on occasion too. The screen will blink, or hiccup just before a TF or convoy is detected. I wonder if, and suspect there might be some correlation between this phenomenon and contacts in the game.:hmmm: Did you check online for any battle plan maps? RSRDC is usually pretty accurate with these things.

Armistead
11-09-10, 07:43 AM
I found this SS patrol on it, so maybe it will help you out. I had followed it for a few days waiting on Halseys planes. Fairly sure this is the return leg, but one SS will give you a good location,

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=172455

WernherVonTrapp
11-09-10, 01:12 PM
To be perfectly honest, I don't recall ever hearing about a WWII Naval Battle called "The Battle of Cape Equano". Is there another, more commonly used title for this engagement?:hmmm:

I'm goin' down
11-09-10, 01:25 PM
type Pacific Naval Battles World War 2 in your browser. A site will come up showing maps of the famous sea battles. Hit the link to Lyete Gulf. It is one of the main battles, off the coast of Cape Engano in northern Luzon. Another site advises the battle took place 200 miles to the east. Or hit this link: http://www.combinedfleet.com/battles/Leyte_Campaign. It is battle location no. 5 on the map. One of the largest IJN fleets in the Lyete episodes, and lots of carriers.

Bubblehead1980
11-09-10, 01:40 PM
Battle of Cape Engano....where Halsey's fleet finished off the Japanese fleet during the Leyte Campaign.

I'm goin' down
11-09-10, 04:17 PM
Here they are. (Lurker does it again.)

To: Comsubpac
Date: 102444
Time: early a.m.

(east of Cape Engano)

Spotted IJN main fleet at 124 degrees, 50 min. E./19.0 degrees, 10 min. N.
two Taiho class carriers, one BB, four dds, plus more warships. Radar not working well. Depth charges damaged hull in forward compartment, and having trouble surfacing. (I am screwed.):wah:

Bubblehead1980
11-09-10, 04:20 PM
Here they are. (Lurker does it again.)

To: Comsubpac
Date: 102444
Time: early a.m.

(east of Cape Engano)

Spotted IJN main fleet at 124 degrees, 50 min. E./190 degrees, 10 min. N.
two Taiho class carriers, one BB, four dds, plus more warships. Radar not working well. Depth charges damaged hull in forward compartment, and having trouble surfacing. (I am screwed.):wah:

Good luck!

WernherVonTrapp
11-09-10, 05:41 PM
Engano/Equano.:har: How did I miss that one!http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=476 Sorry, I must've been overtired.:yawn:

Armistead
11-09-10, 06:35 PM
Well, not sure how bat crap is spelled, but sounds like Equano.....may you not sink totally in it....

Should be an Ise in the group, if you can make it until the 25th Halsey's planes may save your arse.., good luck evading for 24 hours.:har:

Just remember the group will eventully turn back north. As they head south they will eventually Uturn to the east and go back north, coming back about the same track, maybe 20NMs more east.

I'm goin' down
11-11-10, 10:06 PM
Here you go.

10/25/44 at 0458 hours. First radar contact.

East 124 degrees 40 minutes
North 18 degrees 30 minutes

Note: 134 nm due east of Cape Engano.