PDA

View Full Version : Prefer PTO or ATO and why ?

KriegsMarine
10-31-10, 07:38 AM
Hi guys

just curious about that

for me, sure prefer PTO cuz that's the real battlefield of big naval warfare although i know the Battle of Atlantic is a real submarine tonnage war battleground

anyway, i love to fight more BB's and CV's as well as Convoys and PTO gives you more options

Sailor Steve
10-31-10, 09:41 AM
No preference. WW2 submarine warfare is all good as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately I have a crack in my brain that makes me do everything in a linear fashion, and as I'm currently stuck in 1939 there is no PTO for me to play, so I switch back and forth between GWX and OM.

WernherVonTrapp
10-31-10, 09:47 AM
I suppose for me, it goes way back to my childhood. My father was a radioman PO on a baby flattop in the Pacific during WWII. His ship even got hit by Kamikazes. That's how my interest in the PTO started. Not to mention that the largest naval battle of all time was fought there, and by the largest navy that (probably) ever existed, the U.S. Pacific Fleet. I sometimes like watching the game as it interacts with it's own AI during different battles/scenarios. I also seem to be a SS junkie, though alot of my SS are uninspiring.:D During the early part of WWII the u-boats had their run of the Atlantic, like shooting merchants in a barrel. Took awhile before the allies got their sh-t together. After which, most of the u-boats were withdrawn from specific theaters.
IMHO, the Pacific offers more of a challenge.

Bubblehead1980
10-31-10, 11:52 AM
PTO....

I just always found the Pacific war more interesting because it was a naval war due to well the vastness of the Pacific.I was a naval aviation junky when I was a kid, growing up in Pensacola which is the "Cradle of Naval Aviation" prob explains a lot.Grew up visting the museum there, knew a lot of Navy pilots(well aviators) etc The carrier battles from the desperation of Miday, Eastern Solomons, etc to the overhwhelming defeat of the IJN at "The Great Mariannas Turkey Shoot" , PTO just fascinated me.Now ETO did as well, esp the strategic bombing campaign with B-17's but was always a PTO guy.I remained interested but grew away from it I suppose but still played CFS II on a regular basis, being PTO I just loved it.

So a couple years ago I was in a bad car accident, was laid up all summer basically, bored out of my mind.My gf at the time saw SH 4 at best buy and knowing I liked history etc, she purchased it for me.I always found sub warfare interesting, grew up visiting the USS Alabama battleship in Mobile and remember the USS Drum was there, always thought it was "cool' So played the game and began doing some reading etc on sub warfare, history and the books by O Kane, Fluckey etc and have been hooked since.

I played OM to give U boats a try and enjoyed it but just not the same as I enjoy PTO, so I prefer PTO.

Diopos
10-31-10, 12:58 PM
ATO fan which got caught by PTO, here.
What I like in PTO? The "terrain"! Much more variety in the Pacific. "Deeps" and "shallows", open ocean and at the same time the "maze" that is Indonesia. Small Islands poping out of nowhere, etc. More places to "ambush" or get "ambushed".
What I reminisce about ATO is the harder overall campaign "curve". You have a "modest" start, a steep accent up to '43 and you struggle for your life from thereon. Intresting! In PTO things can be bad or slow in the begining but (generally) get better as the campaign proceeds. In PTO there is no "curve" but more or less a "line" in how a campaign usually evolves.

nikimcbee
10-31-10, 01:08 PM
PTO:yeah:

if I want uboats, I play SH3

RodBorza
11-01-10, 03:41 PM
PTO! For the most of the same already explained above. Also, I got hooked on the good old SH1.

Forensicman101
11-05-10, 09:22 AM
Both are interesting & offer their own challenges. I alternate, playing one (short) campaign in PTO then another one in ATO, then back again to PTO etc.