PDA

View Full Version : Saved Games started to CTD

jldjs
10-29-10, 12:08 PM
Playing TMO2 + RSRD. I use Save alot as I am still learning techniques with my attacks. However, after re-installing a new DL'd version of RSRD, which resolved my problem of repeated patrol areas, I find that my saves don't work, meaning I CTD. The only saves that work are entering and leaving base, and an intermediate save before reaching patrol area. All saves in patrol area and when warships are within 5nm of me, CTD when I try to restart. Have not experienced this before. I always Pause from Nav screen before Saving which I've done many times before succesfully. Anyone else experience this and maybe have a solution?

WernherVonTrapp
10-29-10, 12:17 PM
When you say you re-installed a new downloaded version of TMO+RSRDC, do you mean a new updated version of each or just a new download of your previous installed version? Also, when you re-installed these new DL versions, did you simply overwrite files w/o disabling these mods in JSGME? I don't think older version saves will work that well with updated versions of a mod.

Jan Kyster
10-29-10, 12:20 PM
Sounds to me like you installed the update on patrol? :hmmm:
Try disable update (assuming you used JSGME) and test saves again.

Btw. no need for pause. Pressing ESC does the same...

jldjs
10-29-10, 12:45 PM
When you say you re-installed a new downloaded version of TMO+RSRDC, do you mean a new updated version of each or just a new download of your previous installed version? Also, when you re-installed these new DL versions, did you simply overwrite files w/o disabling these mods in JSGME? I don't think older version saves will work that well with updated versions of a mod.

I Dl'd another copy of RSRD. I then JSGME it along with all other MODS in a fresh copy of SHIV 1.5 stock. Then I started a new campaign/career. I also use Multish. I just started again from the one good Save, got back to my attack position, saved again, attacked and then restarted from the Save right before my attack. This time it did start, but it was daylight at 0400 hrs, not the stormy night when I saved, and I am alone on a clear calm day with no ships anywhere to be seen! I'm not making this stuff up as I know this sounds weird. But where can I go from here?

WernherVonTrapp
10-29-10, 06:06 PM
I'm still not sure that I understand you 100% but, whenever I install/reinstall any mods using JSGME, I have always found it necessary to start a new career. Too many old files overlapping with the new ones if you're trying to use a save from a previous JSGME install. But, that's just my personal experience. Others may have been more successful. Also, before uninstalling any mods, I usually go to the Save Game screen and delete everything that shows up (all previous saves). Then I close out the game and uninstall all mods with JSGME. Once they're uninstalled, only then do I update or replace any mods in my "Mods" folder. That's when I can reload with JSGME and start a new career.

Armistead
10-29-10, 08:17 PM
What were your system specs?

Are you in anyway playing with any files that your not 100% sure you know what you're doing? I play with a lot of files and I'm not always 100 % sure, simply, you play with them, make note of all changes so you can change back, have back ups, ect..if you do that sort of thing.

Never save over the same save over and over, especially if you've made mod or file changes. Many times people will load another mod for the same career while in port and use previous saved games. Not saying start a new career, but always use a new save file for that patrol. It's usually a bad idea to write over the same save over and over, I don't do it more than once.

It's always a bad idea to save why many contacts are present, during attacks, ect.. Moreso if you have lower system specs. If you have a uber rig with fast drives, lot's of ram you may be more lucky.

Remember the more you save over the same patrol the more info has to be pulled up and processed. Simply, your first save may be one ship sunk, if you do more attacks, ect..by the 5th save you may have sunk 30 ships.
Each time you load a save it has to read all that you've done in that patrol, ships sunk, damage to your sub, ect...You may notice if you take severe damage and it gets fixed, shoot torps, ect...when you load the save and the game starts the first several seconds it relives past damage, ect..

unionemerald
10-30-10, 03:37 AM
I'm experiencing sometimes this problem too. What I do, is load the save "Autosave on leaving base", because usually this one works.
And when the game starts, push the escape button - Load game - and load the save you wanted before. You'll see that it loads.
When you return to base after finishing this patrol, everything will work back normal and you won't loose your patrol achievements.

jldjs
10-30-10, 07:26 AM
I'm experiencing sometimes this problem too. What I do, is load the save "Autosave on leaving base", because usually this one works.
And when the game starts, push the escape button - Load game - and load the save you wanted before. You'll see that it loads.
When you return to base after finishing this patrol, everything will work back normal and you won't loose your patrol achievements.

Thanks for this idea. I did go back to the save leaving base
but did not think of then doing the ESC and loading the Save
I wanted. BTW, did you ever see the change I got in the
weather, daylight, and abscence of all other ships?

unionemerald
10-30-10, 09:19 AM
BTW, did you ever see the change I got in the
weather, daylight, and abscence of all other ships?

Sometimes, when I have this problem, day and night time are shifted. It's annoying, but when you don't look at the clock...
Weather has changed often, when you load a saved game. You stop playing in a tropical storm, and when you continue to play, the sun is shining bright. Probably the global warming that's involved! :hmmm:
Ship traffic remains the same.

jldjs
10-30-10, 10:13 AM
Sometimes, when I have this problem, day and night time are shifted. It's annoying, but when you don't look at the clock...
Weather has changed often, when you load a saved game. You stop playing in a tropical storm, and when you continue to play, the sun is shining bright. Probably the global warming that's involved! :hmmm:
Ship traffic remains the same.

I've been playing about 6 mos mostly TMO and have not
encountered this situation. I started playing with
TMO & RSRD about a week or so ago. I therefore
wonder if this situation is RSRD related. Are you running
RSRD?

unionemerald
10-30-10, 11:58 AM
I am running RFB 2.0 & RSRDC both patched.

CapnScurvy
10-30-10, 01:35 PM
jldjs, I'll take a shot at this.

You may need to clean out your saved folders from SH4 before expecting to have a clean install of the two mods (and patches) your using.

If you use Windows XP you'll find the saved games in your "My Documents" folder under "SH4". It will have something like this as a folder structure:

SH4/
data/
cfg/SaveGames/UPCInital/UserPlayerContext/UserPlayerContextGE

It's perfectly fine to delete the contents entirely from the SH4 Folder. When you start the game (with the two mods activated through JSGME correctly) the game will make a completely new set of files with the name of the folders above. This time with the correct files in the folders.

If you use Windows Vista you need to look for whatever name you gave yourself or the computer. Lets say it's "Jay". This "Jay" folder has your other folders like "Pictures", "Videos", "Documents" in it. Open the "Documents" folder and you'll find the "SH4" folder with the same folders named above as in Win XP. Delete these and restart the game as above.

Now, if you have a saved game point that is your favorite game spot (you took a CV down with a single deck gun shot) your going to lose it! So, just buck up and take the plunge. Having the older files cleared out should correct any problems you've encountered AND the cleared files will give you more room to keep the next saved point happy and clean.

jldjs
10-30-10, 07:27 PM
First to Unionemerald, I did as you suggest and the Save point I wanted loaded correctly. Thanks, one of the best tips I've received.
Second, Capnscurvy, I'll remember to do as you suggest. When I re-installed RSRD from a newly DL'd copy, I probably had some Save points in that SH4 folder from the previous plays, Thanks, another tip I will remember.
Now its time I get back to my patrol area and use the rest of my torps.

MaddogK
11-02-10, 10:26 AM
In a word- DOCK.
I've been experiencing more and more save game CTD's than ever as well as time compression limits, and they get worse the more tonnage I've sunk. I recently lost 126k tons when a save refused to reload the following day so I had to replay the entire 6 hour ordeal from a previous save and dock (end patrol) to claim the sunk ships.

Since the new patrol started the game loads almost instantly again, and I'm no longer limited to a time compression value of 512.

tomoose
11-02-10, 12:29 PM
Unionemerald,
that sounds like a good tip, I'll give that a shot as I'm experiencing the same issue.

I have been doing very well in my current patrol and saving it regularly (using different saves, not overwriting previous saves). When I tried to load my previous save en route to my next patrol area I get a CTD. Loading a autosave in base caused the same issue but I think I tried on-leaving-base perhaps I need to try on-entering-base. Starting a new career using another name started up no problem. I'll try your suggestion and see if it works. If it does you may have come up with the solution to many members' previous problems.

I would add that this is probably the most save files I've used during a patrol. My usual habit is 3 save files (En route to loc, in loc, RTB) plus a couple of extra saves if I think it's necessary. No problems with that routine. This is my first CTD in a loooooooong time and seems to coincide with my many save files (most of them replay files). It seems to be a common theme in this current thread.:hmmm:

WernherVonTrapp
11-03-10, 07:06 AM
Aside from a very few CTD or Failure To Load errors that I've already accounted for, I can't say I have ever experienced the issues you guys are dealing with. And, these night/day, or weather changes.http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked032.gif I don't know.:hmmm: I think it would be interesting to see what you might all have in common, that could be causing this phenomenon.

Diopos
11-03-10, 10:30 AM
I think it would be interesting to see what you might all have in common, that could be causing this phenomenon.

Maybe we all use the same drugs?!

:DL

WernherVonTrapp
11-03-10, 12:04 PM
Maybe we all use the same drugs?!

:DL

.:har: The colors man, oooooh the colors.

jldjs
11-04-10, 09:14 AM
Maybe a coincidence, I did install Webster's Small Rain MOD during this patrol. I was able to recover my Saves using the restore the Leaving Base save first then the save I wanted. But I de-installed the Small Rain Mod and the CTDs seem to have been resolved, so far. I'll wait to return to base to put that Mod back in.