PDA

View Full Version : The bow wave

Armistead
10-29-10, 10:33 AM
Anyone know the effect of it on the game, obvious the more bow wave, the easier you can see a ship. I sunk two JP subs coming from Singy and all I could see was the bow wave and it was going slow. Makes me wonder about any settings that effect it.

tomoose
10-29-10, 12:47 PM
I don't know about the bow wave but I'd like to see a more 'realistic' periscope wave.:hmmm:

Dogfish40
11-02-10, 10:06 AM
I don't know if this helps but I was concerned after reading a sub manual about the size of my bow wave, especially at twilight and daybreak. I was concerned that this was a giveaway in the game and started to use the outside views to see the differing effects the Bow plume and the periscope wake had with differing speeds. Current Doctrine for Subs-USF-25(A) (WW2) says that periscopes be used at minimal speeds to eliminate the wake (unless maneuvering for battle) so now I come up to periscope depth slowing, and raise the scope at dead slow just to be safe. (Unless I already have a target).
The Bow wave is much more problematic as it seems that any speed over slow causes a considerable bow plume. I hope that they have this figured into the game as it adds more realism to the problems the Skipper faced when running on the surface. I have seen my boat from any nearby island at twilight from a mile or so off and the only thing I can see is that Bow Plume and the Prop Wash.

D40 Cmmndr USS Gar:salute: