PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophones not working?

yourgi952
10-22-10, 02:52 AM
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem that I am hoping you can help me with.
My hydraphones don't seem to work I go to periscope depth, and do a scan and nothing, even though I can look at the ship through my periscope. When I first noticed this I was just using TMO so I thought that I may have just messed up the install somehow and deleted some sound files, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, this time using the Real Fleet Boat 2.0 mod but alas I have the same problem, has anyone else experienced this or is there something fundamental I don't know about hydrophones. I have also tried it when I am almost a stones throw away from the target and still nothing.
Thanks for any help.

edit: ps. I am also using the U-Boat addon

Fish40
10-22-10, 07:25 AM
Hi! Sometimes if you dive just below periscope depth (75') you'll pick up the target sounds. Then you could go up to P depth. Another thing may be the lack of experience of your crew. If you have a "Green" crew, they won't hear/see ships until they are much closer. That's why I constantly check the sonar myself while submerged. I picked up several contacts from far off many times, and my guys never said a thing!

WernherVonTrapp
10-22-10, 07:37 AM
so I thought that I may have just messed up the install somehow and deleted some sound files, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, this time using the Real Fleet Boat 2.0 mod but alas I have the same problem, Welcome aboard sir.:salute:
Hmmmmmm:hmmm:, you deleted some sound files? Oh-oh, what exactly did you delete?:o

Diopos
10-22-10, 01:28 PM
Can you please clarify if they don't work at all or that they don't work when you are at periscope depth?.

MaddogK
10-22-10, 07:15 PM
Haven't played the German side much (yet) but DID notice there's a hydrophone upgrade on the early u-boats for a directional hydrophone system. The 'base' unit on my VIIC/41 wasn't directional- didn't realize it was substandard to the U.S. unit until I read the description of the unit.

:salute:

Ducimus
10-22-10, 08:39 PM
My hydraphones don't seem to work I go to periscope depth, and do a scan and nothing, even though I can look at the ship through my periscope.

I'm willing to bet, that if you put the periscope down, and wait a few seconds, your hydrophones will be working again, or at the very least, have your sonarman reporting contacts again.

Green crew has nothing to do with this. Its a game limitation of being able to only use one sensor at a time, with one sensor overriding the other. Visual contact, seems to over ride radar and sonar.

Hydrophones are a bit wierd in that you can hear ships if you man the station yourself, but your sonarman will not report the contacts, nor will you see contact lines on the nav map. The caveat here is that a couple ships are buggy in that they won't be audible if they are traveling below 7 kts, although your sonarman will report them none the less.

Typically though, if your doing a submerged periscope attack, and you want your sonarman to call contacts, you have to put the scope down to break visual contact. I've done this so much in the past, it doesn't even occur to me anymore.

Armistead
10-22-10, 09:48 PM
I have my scope up all the time at the same time asking for nearest warship contacts via sonar and always get them, taken that they're in the zone of his ability. I know this cause I'll always scan that way after he reports their positions to make sure he ain't getting too close.

Strange I never get any info using the "normal search" with sonar even if something is clearly close. Maybe that is a one at a time visual thing.

yourgi952
10-23-10, 12:53 AM
Hey thanks for all the reply's to clarify my sonar men can "hear" the contacts fine if i tell him to report the nearest etc but when I go there and try to hear it myself even if i am very close to them I hear nothing and the green light comes on sometimes to let me know that it is picking up something, which led me to believe i had inadvertently deleted some sound files, I am not aware of doing that as its a fairly simple process however the sounds aren't there so maybe I have, I have dried going a bit deeper to but no luck.

I can hear contacts sometimes though, but other times I can't even when I should be able to.:)

Armistead
10-23-10, 02:57 AM
Have the cams on. If you get a sonar bearing green light and hear nothing, doe's it say anything in the top right message screen, unknown, warship, ect...If you deleted a sound, it should still give you a reading in the message box. If you have a green light and see nothing, try to look down that bearing in your scope and see if you can ID a target. If nothing can be seen, could be several things.

Many things will give you a green light, but no sound. If you previously sunk a ship, it will usually still pick up on sonar. Downed planes will pick up on sonar. Could be the ship is stopped, thus making no noise, DD's will often stop and listen for you. Targets may be very far away and barely making a noise. You may even pick up a dolphin, rare, but I just did and drove me nuts.

If your sonarman is picking it up, make sure your looking down the same bearing he is and ID the target. If indeed it is the same target and he picks it up and you don't, you have a problem.

The most important thing is to look down that bearing when you get a green light but no sound. If you see a ship moving and you can't hear it, then you may have goofed your game. If you can't use the scope use the cam, but many things will give you a green light and no sound in the game.

Dogfish40
11-02-10, 02:04 PM
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem that I am hoping you can help me with.
My hydrophones don't seem to work I go to periscope depth, and do a scan and nothing, even though I can look at the ship through my periscope. When I first noticed this I was just using TMO so I thought that I may have just messed up the install somehow and deleted some sound files, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, this time using the Real Fleet Boat 2.0 mod but alas I have the same problem, has anyone else experienced this or is there something fundamental I don't know about hydrophones. I have also tried it when I am almost a stones throw away from the target and still nothing.
Thanks for any help.

edit: ps. I am also using the U-Boat addon

Are you using any MODS such as sound?
I don't know if you're still having the hydrophone problem but it sounds just like the problem I had. At the time I was experimenting with sound MODS for SH4 1.4 stock. . I could not hear (at first) ANY ships on the Hydrophone but my sonarmen picked them up, so no problem there. Then I started experimenting with the MOD installs and at one point, I could hear MY ship (180) but no others. Finally I was able to come up with the MOD setup in the order that allowed the Hydrophone to work. I also found that a couple of Websters sound mods didn't like to be installed in the wrong order. If you disable your mods, and then load them back one by one while testing your hydrophone it should come back and you'll find the culprit MOD.:salute:
D40