PDA

View Full Version : oh no....

rein1705
10-16-10, 05:45 PM
Hello mates. Boy do i have a problem. I have finally decided to upgrade my computer to windows 7 but i have a tiny hard drive so i formatted it for a clean install of 7... so i have reacquired most of my programs that i use and just last night i went to install Silent Hunter 4 Gold (the original disk) and it got all the way to the end of its process when it encountered a critical error and had to cancel instillation :cry::wah:

I repeated it several time and all the same result. The disk isn't really scratched at all, in fact its in quite good condition so I'm confused. is it my disk drive? What should i do? i really dont have money to go and buy another copy when i already have one that should be just fine.... am i torpedoed? :cry:

Herr-Berbunch
10-16-10, 05:51 PM
I don't fully get the issues when installing these games in Win7 so I don't know if your issue is relevent, but are you installing in a rooted folder (C:\SH4\ - for instance) rather than the defaulted C:\Programs\ ?

WernherVonTrapp
10-16-10, 06:05 PM
If you don't mind me asking, rein1705, what is the exact error message you are getting? That is, copy the error message verbatim and post it here, if you will. I have had some successes in the past by Googling the exact error messages that I get from my own system.:yep:

rein1705
10-16-10, 06:06 PM
i just clicked the default install options. prehaps i did something wrong?

Armistead
10-16-10, 08:40 PM
What are the rest of your specs. I'm still stuck on XP, but Winvista/7 is a system hog.

Once you installed windows, I assume you updated it, updated all your drivers, ect. Obvious you had to reinstall your drivers, but make sure they're the updated versions.

Explain exactly how far you got in the loading process, that would tell us a lot.

You mentioned lacking space, after you installed windows and all your other programs, did you check how much drivespace you had left. Many times you may be right on the line and games will even check and say you're OK, but too many factors to risk being right on the border of having enough.

Yea,...search the error as Wernher said.

WernherVonTrapp
10-17-10, 06:57 AM
Try going to the Microsoft website and re-installing msi.exe. That's the Windows Installer program. Sometimes it gets corrupted after a reformat and needs to be re-installed. Don't know if that'll work but, it's worth a try.:hmmm:

rein1705
10-17-10, 06:53 PM
ill post the exact error shortly, i have family over at the moment and a toddler thats a walking tornado. :) it goes all the way to the end of the loading bar before failing. My system is a duel core 3.66 Intel with 4gigs ram, 140 gig hard drive, and NVIDIA 9600gso overclocked vidio card its running win 7 64 bit with up to date drivers. not a bad little machine if i do say so myself. the modle is a compaq but one of the last ones to be a dedicated compaq not HP.

Edit: I have 46gigs free space.

rein1705
10-17-10, 07:15 PM
what does it mean?http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/picture.php?albumid=282&pictureid=3140

Deephunter
10-17-10, 07:56 PM
From "The Software Patch"...

The most common time you will see the cyclic redundancy check error message is when trying to read data from a damaged CD or DVD. Just before it appears, your CD/DVD drive will probably grind and whirl away - your PC may also become a little slugglish.

Less frequent causes are the result of system crashes, and buggy software (hello Microsoft), incomplete downloads (often identified by the misleading message 'This is not a valid Windows file', 'This is not a valid win32 application' or 'Corrupt Zip file'). If this problem happens frequently with downloads, try using a download manager.

For CDs and DVDs, the problem is a little different. Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

Hope this helps....

rein1705
10-17-10, 08:07 PM
probably means my disk drive is wore out or theres a scratch on my disk it cannot overcome. Thanks for the help. I'll try and put another disk drive in my computer and see what happens.

Deephunter
10-19-10, 08:25 AM
Before you change the drive, check it out by inserting other disks and see if they work. If they do OK, it's probably your CD that's ruined....