PDA

View Full Version : Whats in 1943

fastfed
10-08-10, 09:13 PM
So i made it till the end of 42 and really excited that this game has me so interested.

Now i am finishing my patrol and will be starting early 1943 from midway..

Using tmo and rsrd, i am wondering if someone could share some good battles or convoys.. Location and date..

I love the idea of this, its still very challenging and i make believe its orders from command

still hunting down south but willing to sail anywhere.. Thanks guys

Armistead
10-08-10, 09:39 PM
Not a lot happens in 43 with battles, a lot of fleet movements. You'll eventually get flash messages stating jp's are moving fleet units from Truk to Home Waters, so the Truk/Home waters shipping lane is the honey hole, but this is mid to late 43. I usually sit off Saipan, east, bout 100nms. Many large units come through, often by themselves. I got a lot of good locations from July to end, but not many early. I spent most my time early 43 still in the slot and near Rabaul/Bismark.

Another good link of the battles and years. Lot's of smaller DD battles in the Solomons in 43..
http://combinedfleet.com/battles/
Feb 12-16, patrol the west entrance to Truk Harbor, stay just out of visual range. Intel reports 2-3 BB's of the Kongo class to make a run towards Guam.

May 21,here 140.00E x 34.23N...Don't let the Yamato reach Tokyo bay...

fastfed
10-08-10, 09:55 PM
Thanks.. About how accurate do you think that last link you provided will be with rsrd?

Armistead
10-08-10, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure it gives exact locations. Again, it can be hit and miss, unless you use the exact locations. I like the pacific animated link better and you can see the course and try to ambush at a narrow strait, just have to time it to arrive early enough to cut them off. Using maps and links, even if they give exact locations it's still luck in game.

However, with RSRD, the exact locations I give you, things should always show up. That's why I got concerned when you said you missed Savo. If these things don't show, may need to check your mod setup. We basically run the same mods as I recall, so not sure.

Just pay attention to game lag. I'm sure you've seen how the game lags when you run into a larger convoy. You know they're near. You can always check sonar when that happens and get a bearing.

fastfed
10-08-10, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure it gives exact locations. Again, it can be hit and miss, unless you use the exact locations. I like the pacific animated link better and you can see the course and try to ambush at a narrow strait, just have to time it to arrive early enough to cut them off. Using maps and links, even if they give exact locations it's still luck in game.

However, with RSRD, the exact locations I give you, things should always show up. That's why I got concerned when you said you missed Savo. If these things don't show, may need to check your mod setup. We basically run the same mods as I recall, so not sure.

Just pay attention to game lag. I'm sure you've seen how the game lags when you run into a larger convoy. You know they're near. You can always check sonar when that happens and get a bearing.

Every location worked ezcept the savo, same with the other member..

What is the animated pacific link?

I am going for the feb. 4th location from the link you just provided but its pretty much a wide area of where its going to happen

fastfed
10-08-10, 10:43 PM
Heading to truk now.. Question.. Looking at the location of truk.. I see dredged areas south , south east, and north and north east.

Or do i cruise all the way into the area?

Armistead
10-08-10, 10:54 PM
You'll see the shallow entrance to the W, more SW, that's where most shipping comes out. If you want to harbor rape, go on in through the SW entrance, ships will be WNW through the shallows and sit in front of the small islands, mountains before you get to the channel....but that's so easy. The channels darker blue don't show this entrance, just white water, but you'll see the big opening. Sit about 4nms or so outside that entrance..Feb 14-15...

http://www.historyanimated.com/pacificwaranimated/battle-of-philippine-sea-islandhoppingcampaign-33

Well, Oct 17, 42, Battle of Santa Cruz...Here comes the JP fleet, night with storms, can't see crap, hope my sonar shooting skills work, but I prefer better weather so I know what ship I'm shooting at..

Thrair
10-09-10, 04:41 AM

Yup.

There are 4 ways to tell you're near a convoy:

1) Visual
2) Sound Contact
3) Surface Radar Contact
4) Game starts to lag

:D

WernherVonTrapp
10-09-10, 05:07 AM
March 2-4 - Battle of Bismarck Sea
August 1/2 there's some action near Kolombangara
August 6/7 - Battle of Vella Gulf
November 2 - Battle of Empress Augusta Bay

That's about it for 1943, as far as some good Naval action is concerned. :salute: