PDA

View Full Version : Course Plotting and Actual Submarine Range

corsair15
10-07-10, 08:16 PM
This is a grievance of mine that I've been dealing with ever since I started playing Silent Hunter 4 on 100% Realism. Basically, I've set up a Tambor Class submarine to run a plotted course for 5,500 Nautical Miles, make ONE 90 Degree turn, and run another 5,500 Nautical miles for a total of 11,000 Nautical miles which is what the manual says the maximum range is for this class.

I set up a course to run from Midway, starting at 177*30'W Long. 28*0'N Lat. on heading 180 Degrees South for 5,500nm. Then at 177*30'W Long. 57* or 58*S Lat. or something like that. I've set a course change 90 Degrees to starboard on heading 270 Degrees extending another 5,500 Nautical miles. I plotted this course specifically so that I wouldn't run into any land. Turning west AFTER the submarine passes New Zealand.

Also, I've set waypoints in my plot for every 5 degrees south and west that the submarine could travel on these two courses. Starting at 25* N Lat. and another at 20*N Lat. and so on and so forth for the entire course.

What I noticed is that the Submarine deviates from my plotted course by one or two minutes of angle for every waypoint. So the conclusion I came to was that the curvature of the simulated planet had something to do with it. What I'm afraid of, is that the boys in my control room aren't exactly following the plotted course as I've set and I'm actually using more fuel to travel to each waypoint because of the deviation.

The reason it's important to me is for specifically that reason. I want to be able to calculate (correctly) how long I can run at certain speeds for a set distance.

For example: Lets say I wanted to plot a course from Midway Atoll to Brisbane, Australia. I want to be able to figure out (approximately) what speed I can run at for a set distance, and then increase speed to flank speed for the rest of the trip. It would just save a whole lot of time if I could figure out how far I can travel per percentage of fuel that the submarine holds.

I estimated that my Tambor class submarine could travel some 3,900 miles before running out of fuel at Flank Speed. So that would mean, theoretically that for every 39 Nautical Miles I travel, I use 1% of my total diesel fuel. However, since I was using the course I gave you above, my estimation could be wrong; and since I play "Dead is Dead," well, you get the idea.

Basically, I just want to be able to run a course to Brisbane or Dutch Harbor, and know that I can run at 2/3 Speed for whatever distance and run at Flank speed the rest of the trip; but I can't do that unless I have an approximation of my fuel economy for each speed setting.

I mean, I'm really talking about plotting a well thought out course here.

This is more or less a request for information.
Have any of you collected specific data on Submarine Range at different speeds? Is there anywhere I could find that information for all of the classes of submarines in Silent Hunter 4?

It would be greatly beneficial to me.
Thanks all!

NOTE: If this information hasn't been collected already for each possible speed. I will try and collect it all myself for the rest of you. I just don't want to waste my time doing it if it's already been done. I've searched and searched and can't find anything on this subject in these forums though.

And also, there are a lot of variables that come into account here: Rough Seas, Calm Seas, Storms (Or anything that might cause me to use more fuel to travel the same distance I would in calm seas.) So I would probably run courses 5 or 6 times in different places at the same speed to find the best approximation possible.

Alky
10-07-10, 09:50 PM
You should really be thinking more of killing the enemy than fuel mileage :D

WernherVonTrapp
10-07-10, 10:34 PM
Click on the "Compass" icon on the lower left. Then, you'll see an icon with a "clock and semi-circle dotted line". At any speed you choose to travel, click on that icon and it'll tell you the maximum distance you can travel at your current speed. The most fuel economical speed should be 9.5 to 10 knots.;)

Armistead
10-07-10, 11:21 PM
Not sure if the milage icons are there in the stock game, but as Wernher said that's what you need, gives you milage at current speed, time, ect..so easy to guage fuel milage. If you have it great, if not, any of the supermods add them. You'll always get best fuel milage at standard, roughly 9-10kts.

Wow, not sure why you want to go from Brisbane to Dutch Harbor, why not start out of Pearl, lot closer. That's a long trip for what little there is up there to see, unless you just want to ride around. Gonna do that go see the Golden Gate Bridge or Statue of Liberty...

I don't think rough seas has any effect on milage in stock.. I know it doe's in TMO1.9-2, but not sure about earlier versions.

corsair15
10-08-10, 10:07 PM
Click on the "Compass" icon on the lower left. Then, you'll see an icon with a "clock and semi-circle dotted line". At any speed you choose to travel, click on that icon and it'll tell you the maximum distance you can travel at your current speed. The most fuel economical speed should be 9.5 to 10 knots.;)

I've never noticed it before so I'm not sure I have it, I'll have to check on that. Thanks!

WernherVonTrapp
10-09-10, 05:25 AM
I've never noticed it before so I'm not sure I have it, I'll have to check on that. Thanks!I do remember an icon in there that gave the maximum range when I played the Stock Version. I'm just not certain if it looks the same as I described but, it should be there.;)

tomoose
10-09-10, 08:23 AM
In addition to the button Werner refers to there is also the "range to end course" button next to it. In other words you can plot your various waypoints to your destination then press this button and it will give you the total distance. Clicking the button Werner's referring to will then give you your range at your current speed and you can determine whether you will make it or not. I use a combo of these two buttons when my remaining fuel is becoming a concern and I'm deciding whether to head home or not (i.e. plot a course for home and get the total range, compare that to max range at current speed). Naturally if you get into some action involving flank speed etc then it would be wise to consult these buttons on a regular basis. :yeah:

corsair15
10-15-10, 05:34 PM
Could either of you post a screenshot of the button you're talking about?

The only button I have is the one that says "Time to End Course," it's no help to me though. If I don't know my fuel burn per hour, I can't really make good plots; and that's my concern.

However, as far as Convoys, Task Forces, or any Major Enemy Contacts are concerned; I run at Flank Speed or Full Speed depending on intercept plot. Sometimes I can get away with Standard Speed though. The guppys however (single ship contact reports), if I can't get in range at Ahead Standard without a considerable amount of fuel burn; I don't even waste my time. I can't call a resupply submarine or submarine tender to my position in this game, which is why I'm bringing this topic up to begin with.

Armistead, you said that some of the mods will tell you what your fuel mileage is at whatever you've set your speed setting to. The only mod I have is the Los Angeles mod by ETR3; and I leave it activated when I play with my Tambor class only because of the Periscope Modification (It has four different levels of zoom, which is great because I can identify ships at 8000 yards and plan my attack for extended periods of time), BUT, it doesn't have a fuel mileage mod.

It'd be nice to just have those two mods purely. Periscope Magnification and Fuel Mileage mods. That's it.

I know I'm a very needy bilge rat, but the thing is I'm trying to become a good Captain, I just want all of my ducks in a row first; you know?
I'll be honest, I don't really know how to find range, angle on bow, or course by myself. I can guess, and get close (and sometimes get very lucky); but unless it's a stationary target, you might as well put me in a canoe with a rocket launcher because I'm useless.

I'm trying though, I've put everything on 100% Realism, but I suck lol. I've spent the last month practicing and reading all of the materials I can find on this. I watch all the videos I can (WerhnerSobe has good ones and it works for me ok, but I still don't feel like I'm Captain.)

I mean I request speed and course from my XO. I'm not gathering all of the information by myself, and I just want to be able to do that.

To sum it up, I just want to be an efficient Captain first and foremost. I want to know everything that's going on, when it goes on in my sub; and be able to sink any ship any time there's a usable target solution available.

Please help, I'm desparate!

Armistead
10-15-10, 06:34 PM
I honestly don't recall those icons being in stock, but if Wernher says so, he should know being he played stock for er...a long time...still, not so sure, I thought they were added by the supermods.

Corsair, I don't know of a seperate mod for the icons if they're not in stock. There are several magnifcation mods.

If I were you I would load TMOwTW's...bascially TMO with training wheels, you get the easy play of stock, sonar lines, but many of the goodies of TMO, plus graphics would be 200% better. When you're ready move up to TMO. It's really not that hard if you use your head, it doe's have an optional easier AI setting.

It took us all a lot of learning to manual target, they're several methods, just learn to use them all as each has it's use. I certainly use different methods shooting warships going 30kts compared to a merchant going 5. Course and speed are easily done by using the 3 minute rule, so study that. If you have contacts off, they're other good methods, Mostly I use the time it takes for a ship to pass through my crosshairs or stad it. To get a correct course and speed from your xo, you have to take near perfect stad measurements. I use two mods to help, max optics for better mag and SCAF which gives you better aiming points, instead of the highest part, uses areas like funnels and decks. So learn course and speed, once you have it's true course, you can enter that for your AOB... takes time, don't rush yourself, once it's starts clicking, it becomes easier. You can make this game very realistic, so you have to learn many functions and tactics to be good.

You've been forum with the video tutorials, make sure you study basic manual targeting by RR.

WernherVonTrapp
10-16-10, 05:06 AM
I honestly don't recall those icons being in stock, but if Wernher says so, he should know being he played stock for er...a long time...still, not so sure, I thought they were added by the supermods.

Well, you know me, I could be wrong.:oops::D I could've swore that icon was in the Stock Version. Nevertheless, if he just holds his mouse over each icon, the pop-up description should tell him what each one does. It's been over a year since I played Stock.:03: