PDA

View Full Version : Blowing all tanks.

Armistead
10-06-10, 08:11 PM
I'm fairly sure from all I read if you did a emergency surface blowing ballast this would take you to the surface like it or not. On the icon it reads will bring you to the surface.

In game you can blow ballast and stop the rise over and over. Is this just a game flaw? Not sure that it's a problem in game, blowing tanks has stopped many an out of control dive, if you did indeed come up, you're dead. Still, the reality of blowing tanks brings you up would give you a lot to think about how you play.

ETR3(SS)
10-06-10, 08:36 PM
Well I guess you could blow the tanks to create an upward rate and then open the MBT vents to allow that air to escape. However that would be a terrible waste of compressed air that you cant recover until on the surface for a few hours. So the answer is both yes and no as to this being a flaw or not. SH4 game mechanics don't do justice to how a submarine really operates.

fastfed
10-06-10, 10:53 PM
Pretty sure as long as there was air in the tanks they can flood again.. But i dont think any captain would take that chance as it was there main way of surfacing.. As opposed to todays subs, they rely on propulsion.. Pretty sure i read one of the best stories here on this site from someone that was a sailor on a modern sub (688??) and their backup battery and main reactor failed.. He was describing how even with all ballast blown they were nose diving.. Till finally at something like 1500 feet they got propulsion back.. And the relief from readiing that was awesome.. Anyone know where it is?