PDA

View Full Version : Are these bugs or am I doing something wrong?

fastfed
09-28-10, 10:19 PM
Using TMO and RSRD with patch1

Started my career and noticing a couple things here.

1. when I get a contact I can see it (planes only so far) I usually dive but tried staying on the surface for kicks.. As the contact gets close, the pre message that asks me what I want to do "dive to periscope depth, engage target and so on" After I click to continue orders, the contact disappears.. Thinking its gone some how, hit the Time Compression button.. Sure enough, I am attacked.. This happens everytime..

2.While sitting idle, I am losing fuel, not moving at all

3.My damage guys don't fix a thing.. I tried hitting battle stations, I tried moving crew around.. Nothing happens and they are not fixing a thing.

4.I seem to never run out of air, I am below the surface at max Time Compression and my c02 level never changes.

Thanks all

Ducimus
09-28-10, 11:03 PM
1. The plot in TMO was redesigned on the theme of, "what could a member of the fire control party track with a grease pencil?" Planes in close proximity didn't seem like it would fall in that theme. The initial contact with a plane is by radar. Once it disappears from the nav map, it's getting close. Start asking the watch officer for nearest visual contact, or start looking in the direction of the last known contact bearing to the target with your binoculars.

2. This will be new to anyone used to uboats. The battery recharging mechanics work completely different in SH4. In sum, your engines are basically, always on while on the surface. (one reason why i put in the wave lap sounds with the engine rumbling in the background) Your boat doesn't also loose maximum speed when doing a battery charge. However, how long the battery charge takes, depends on your speed. If your going fast, the battery charge will take longer. If your going slower (or stopped), the battery charge will go quicker. This is SH4's rather poor implementation of a fleet boats propulsion system. In a uboat, it was a direct drive system. The engines drove the props. In a fleet boat, its an indirect drive system. The engines are little more then electrical generators. The props are always driven by the motors. What changes is where the motors get their electricity from....... the engines.. or the batteries.

3. you need to assign a damage control team and tell them what to work on. Also, damaged areas must have crew in them in order to effect repairs. For example if your deck gun is damaged, you must assign crew to it in order to repair it.

4. Thats new, never heard of that before.

ETR3(SS)
09-28-10, 11:09 PM
4.I seem to never run out of air, I am below the surface at max Time Compression and my c02 level never changes. Not sure how TMO has it's settings set up you could have the Limited O2 setting unchecked.

Armistead
09-28-10, 11:19 PM
Ducimas fairly covered it. Just remember if a plane on radar coming towards you vanishes the game basically now sees it as a visual and you should soon get a plane spotted message. Very risky with TMO fighting planes...dive and deep, some charges can damage you around 150 ft.
You'll notice if you dive and keep your scope down but radar up the radar contact will remain even close because you don't have visuals.

If you have damage in a compartment you should be able to place your mouse cursor over a man there and see the message repairing. If it just states watch standing the repair is done, compartment not damaged or a possible bug. If they're not repairing and it's damaged and you have battlestations it may be a rare bug. You can save and reload then check and the men should read repairing.

Not running out of air, did you check game options. Check to see if CO2 is limited. Sounds like you have it checked to unlimited, thus you'll never run out of air.

If losing fuel, check to see if your batteries are charged. You stated damage, if your batteries get damaged even when they're fully charged they will keep charging which takes fuel as explained. To stop this click the battery charge icon off to stop the charge. You'll have to do this each time you dive and surface until batteries are fixed.

fastfed
09-28-10, 11:40 PM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the explanation.. The c02 was a bug I guess.. I saved and reloaded.. Same thing for the damage situation.. Basically, none of my guys were repairing.. They were just sitting "on watch" as Armistead explained..

Can anyone point me to a good read, on crew management? I played SH4 for a few months when it first came out, and never got it then and still don't really understand it..

Armistead
09-29-10, 02:15 AM
I really think the guys not repairing is a bug that is overlooked by many. I've dealt with it for over a year using clean mods, ect. It can really get you killed. The problem is on BS repairs will be done by your damage crew, but repairs take much much longer when no one else is repairing. Yea, a simple save and load will fix it, but you usually don't notice it until you're under attack and saving with a lot of contacts isn't a good thing. I just caught it by chance when I noticed the men using the cursor weren't repairing.

It's interesting you also have this issue with a clean install. I've mentioned before and got little response, but I think it may be an issue people are missing.

Check out this link. Make sure you read the SHIV guide and better crew management...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9661024145

Rockin Robbins
09-29-10, 07:30 AM
Also don't forget that there are some things like hull damage, periscope damage and others that the crew can't repair. They must be repaired in port at the end of your cruise. A refit won't do it, you must end the cruise for these repairs to be made.

fastfed
09-29-10, 11:12 AM
I really think the guys not repairing is a bug that is overlooked by many. I've dealt with it for over a year using clean mods, ect. It can really get you killed. The problem is on BS repairs will be done by your damage crew, but repairs take much much longer when no one else is repairing. Yea, a simple save and load will fix it, but you usually don't notice it until you're under attack and saving with a lot of contacts isn't a good thing. I just caught it by chance when I noticed the men using the cursor weren't repairing.

It's interesting you also have this issue with a clean install. I've mentioned before and got little response, but I think it may be an issue people are missing.

Check out this link. Make sure you read the SHIV guide and better crew management...
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6421019045/m/9661024145

Thanks! The link for the topic of crew is dead :(