PDA

View Full Version : Museum Ship Update

Subnuts
07-22-10, 10:24 PM
Just thought I'd give a quick heads up.

USS Cassin Young will probably be in dry dock sometime before late September, so we can scratch that off our list.

USS Constitution is undergoing restoration, but is still open to the public. However, we'll need a tour guide if we want to go below decks. Admission is still free.

USS Salem is now open daily from 10 to 4, not just on the weekends any more. The website recommends calling in advance if a group of 10 or more is coming along.

Members of the Tin Can Sailors Organization and other volunteers will descend upon USS Joseph P Kennedy Jr. from September 23-25 for some much-needed restoration. The ship will remain open, but watch for wet paint. Naturally, Steve is already jumping at the bit!

No one's mentioned it yet, but there's an early-1900s steamboat at Mystic Seaport named Sabino that takes 6 30-minute cruises, and one 90-minute river tour, each day. We pretty much have a set itinerary, so I'm gonna call this a "kinda sorta if we get the chance maybe."

Nothing really major or deal-breaking here, but I figure people need to keep their expectations in line with reality.

Sailor Steve
07-23-10, 12:47 AM
Cool stuff! Thanks man.

Onkel Neal
07-23-10, 01:23 AM
Whats the status on the sleepover? Do we have reservations for that Saturday night event?

August
07-23-10, 07:49 AM
Whats the status on the sleepover? Do we have reservations for that Saturday night event?

Not scheduled yet.

Onkel Neal
08-10-10, 11:29 AM
Well, I contacted Nicholle at Battleship Cove, the overnight program is ONLY for youths. So unless someone has some pull at this venue, we can visit, but we will be returning to New London in the evening.

Subnuts
08-10-10, 12:08 PM
Well, I contacted Nicholle at Battleship Cove, the overnight program is ONLY for youths. So unless someone has some pull at this venue, we can visit, but we will be returning to New London in the evening.

I've seen pictures from Boy Scout outings to Battleship Cove, and it seems like these kids enjoy running around the bowels of the ship at night making fake slasher movies, riding the bombs in the ordnance exhibit like Slim Pickens, and sneaking into places they don't belong. Last time I visited, I refused to put down my soda on any part of the ships. I guess we're just too mature for them.

Did you try telling them we have a former destroyerman and a member of the Nautilus' last crew coming with us? I'd love to try, but let's say my verbal communication skills leave something to be desired. I love Battleship Cove, but I wonder why they can't accommodate 15 adults for one night.

nikimcbee
08-10-10, 02:38 PM

...at this point Neal asks jason to go ask if week can sleep on the boat, as everybody else is afraid of the COB.:haha:

Subnuts
08-10-10, 09:55 PM
On the plus side, this does give us a perfectly good excuse to get drunk Saturday night and riff on a submarine movie or two. :yeah:

mobucks
08-12-10, 04:18 PM
I went and saw the Constitution last summer. No admittance and her masts and tackle were in the parking lot. I hope shes in better shape these days. They had a destroyer parked across i forget what her name was but that was sweet to go into.

August
08-12-10, 04:24 PM
On the plus side, this does give us a perfectly good excuse to get drunk Saturday night and riff on a submarine movie or two. :yeah:

At least those of us that are drinking age! :DL

Sledgehammer427
08-12-10, 06:50 PM
ah well, I'll have my Dr. Pepper IV handy.

Subnuts
08-12-10, 07:11 PM
ah well, I'll have my Dr. Pepper IV handy.

Smirnoff ice isn't doesn't actually have alcohol in it. It's just an additive. :yep:

August
08-12-10, 10:13 PM

I could accommodate the size group that has signed up at my place too. Seeing as how we're heading to Boston the next day that might make better sense than paying for another night at the moto-lodge.

Cheaper too...

August
08-12-10, 10:15 PM
double post

Subnuts
08-28-10, 08:17 PM
Constitution's annual turnaround was carried out today in Boston harbor. Baed on pictures I've seen,aAll of the standing rigging up to the topmast caps isin place, but it looks like the yards and running rigging is still struck down. Hopefully, she'll be more "complete" when we visit a month from now.

August
08-28-10, 09:18 PM
This is what she looked like on Independance day:

http://www.northendwaterfront.com/picture/ussconstitutionjuly42010bostonharbor.jpg?pictureId =5928876