PDA

View Full Version : USS Albacore - Go/No Go?

Subnuts
06-22-10, 08:07 PM
Although August told me earlier today that I fret too much, and I've told myself that everything is pretty much set in stone, and that I should just CALM DOWN for a few days, I've still got one nagging issue I need to sort out.

The USS Albacore.

The boat is one of massive historical importance - the fastest diesel boat ever built, the first with a body-of-revolution hull, and a prototype testbed for new technologies such as towed arrays and revolutionary control systems - essentially the X-15 of submarines. Every American submarine since the Skipjack-class has used a modified version of the Albacore hull form, and so have many foreign-built submarines. Best of all, the entire submarine can be explored bow to stern without Plexiglass panels and prison-bar barriers blocking the way, and you can sit down in the crew's mess or play submarine at the pilot's station if you want to.

The problem is that neither August or I have figured out how to include a stop in Portsmouth, NH without turning the rest of the day into a hectic rush. I've been flip-flopping on it for the past few days but I jest keep wrackin' my brains here, folks. Our plates are pretty full already, and that after-dinner mint might just kill us all. So basically, I'm trying to gauge interest in a side-trip to the Albacore. The Salem and Albacore look like decent "targets of opportunity," but with or without them, we're still going to be exploring the entire naval history of the United States in four days.

So what does everyone want to do?

nikimcbee
06-23-10, 11:20 AM
I voted no because it's a diesel sub. I'm sure it's cool, but been there, done that.
http://www.omsi.edu/submarine?gclid=CLL-sKfOtqICFSEjawodUWtm5A

maybe if we had a spare 2 hours, then I say go for it.

Subnuts
06-23-10, 05:12 PM
I totally forgot that Neal had a tour of a modern nuke as part of his original plan...heck, I'd walk down to Groton just for the bragging rights of having done so! Touring one of the newest warships in the world, and touring the world's oldest commissioned warship two days later. How cool is that?

So long Albacore, don't let the door hit you...I mean, see you sometime later.

August
06-23-10, 05:24 PM
I've been to the Albacore. I think I toured through it in all of about 5 minutes so it's not that big of a deal to miss.

Sailor Steve
06-23-10, 06:58 PM
I voted no as well. I would love to see that particular boat, but I want to have a relaxed good time as well. One of the highlights of the 2008 Houston meet was getting to talk to everybody at least once.

nikimcbee
06-23-10, 07:15 PM
I voted no as well. I would love to see that particular boat, but I want to have a relaxed good time as well. One of the highlights of the 2008 Houston meet was getting to talk to everybody at least once.

As a subsim shindig vet, that's half the fun right there!:yeah: If Hanomag comes AND brings THE HAT:D, just listening to the ploting of the liberation of Hanomag's hat is worth it.

Subnuts
06-26-10, 02:07 PM
I guess that's settled then. :rotfl2:

Besides, the sub museum is a lot more hands on- you can crank in firing solutions in a non-functional TDC, look through periscopes, check out the Thames River with a pair of TBTs, and "play submarine" with an actual Ballast Control Panel and Ship Control Station from a Sturgeon-class boat, and a Fire Control Station from the USS Lafayette. WAY more opportunities to make fools out of ourselves, and it's free! :rock:

Kapitan
08-08-10, 11:45 AM
I totally forgot that Neal had a tour of a modern nuke as part of his original plan...heck, I'd walk down to Groton just for the bragging rights of having done so! Touring one of the newest warships in the world, and touring the world's oldest commissioned warship two days later. How cool is that?

So long Albacore, don't let the door hit you...I mean, see you sometime later.

Oldest commissioned warship in the world? HMS Victory, oldest floating commissioned warship constitution id love to go and see that ive been on the victory but the fact that consitution still floats is something else i wish i was coming along but sadly funds doint allow :(