PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question : Deck gun crew

Chris38
05-19-10, 11:45 AM
Although i am quite experienced in SH4, i am in my maximum realism phase :sunny:

So, i have questions i didn't think of before...

What is the historically correct way to handle deck gun crew ?

- To assign, at the patrol start, crewmen in deck gun slots. Those sailors are specialized to use the gun, and apparently don't do anything else on patrol.

- Or to leave this slots empty, only filling them picking up some crewmen in the sub compartments, when the crew is on battle stations ?

The problem is the same with AA gun...

BillBam
05-19-10, 12:34 PM
In real life the gun crews had other jobs on the boat and were called on when needed. FYI real subs did not use their deck guns all that much, at least not until late in the war when Fluckey and other more aggressive skippers started looking for "any" enemy target including sampans, fishing boats and the such when large targets started drying up.

Rockin Robbins
05-19-10, 01:09 PM
Also, when submerged, crew posted in the deck gun or AA gun slots are counted by the game as being fully exposed to outside booms, unprotected by the submarine's hull. Keeping those stations staffed when submerged can cause you to lose crewmembers.

Chris38
05-19-10, 01:20 PM
Yes your two posts are reflecting what i was thinking...

Ok, so, on my next patrol, deck gun and AA gun empty at start, and crew pickup among the compartments to man the guns...

Thanks...

Rockin Robbins
05-19-10, 02:11 PM
And remember, AA guns are only for sampans. Deck guns are good for sampans, salutes, hanging laundry on, and that is about it. No playing with enemy warships or armed merchants. They'll tag you every time with much faster and more accurate fire than you can muster. Shooting at cheap, easy to replace airplanes with an expensive, difficult to replace submarine is also not smart. The planes have the advantage. Refuse to fight a fair fight and refuse to fight on anyone else's terms.

Admiral8Q
05-19-10, 02:55 PM
Hey now! :x

I had severe hull damage in the USS Perch, I had to order my aa gunner to fire at will because if I submerged I would sink by the aft. I kept the boat changing course and speed. His skill went up to 100% after that battle!:rock:

Chris38
05-20-10, 05:12 AM
Yes, i think too the only purpose of the AA gun is to defend the boat when diving is not possible, due to somme reasons...

The normal procedure is emergency dive, imho.

Rockin Robbins
05-20-10, 05:58 PM
Well, of course it's smarter to shoot on the surface than not shoot on the surface. At least then you get to make big noise while you probably die!:har:

rein1705
05-21-10, 04:54 AM
I seem to do quite well with the deck gun, though like said i dont use it on warships unless its my last option or armed merchys... at least not up close and not during the day. Try to attack at night against a single already damaged ship. EG. put a torpedo in her and finish the job with the gun.
... :arrgh!: Or use the Narwhale and pretend your a pirate !

Admiral8Q
05-21-10, 05:07 AM
Well, of course it's smarter to shoot on the surface than not shoot on the surface. At least then you get to make big noise while you probably die!:har:
Yes Robins, I was dieing! :o What else could I do? Be a pansy and reload from an earlier save? As long as I'm still alive I keep playing. I even managed to complete the recon mission without having to end the patrol. :woot:Oh, and the big noise was a blast! Heh heh!