PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions about SHIV

Zedwardson
05-13-10, 02:05 PM
I have been playing SHIII, but when I bought it from Direct2Drive, I also had SHIV included, and I have downloaded but not installed it yet.

Was just curious on how the stock game is, and also is there any "must have mods" like SHIII's SH commander and GWX...

WarlordATF
05-13-10, 03:04 PM
SH4 dumbed down the control over your crew somewhat, however it also made watch changes automatic so if you want to ignore the crew all together you can and it won't cause any problems. The Graphics look better in SH4 with transparent water and other effects. Otherwise the games are very simular since they are built on the same engine.

As for Mods, You didn't say if you have the U-Boat Missions addon. If you don't i would advise you to get it. There are some mods for SH4 version 1.4, but the most often talked about mods require it.

Each of the mods has its strengths and weaknesses, but i have tried and can highly recommend the big 3,

Trigger Maru Overhaul
Real Fleetboat
and if you want to command a U-Boat check out Operation Monsun, it adds alot of things from SH3 to SH4 and improves on it.

Any of those mods should keep you busy for quite awhile, Best of Luck and Welcome Aboard!

danurve
05-14-10, 08:54 AM
What WarlordATF said. :up:

UBM add on will update your game to 1.5 so the mods you might want to check out are compatable.

Zedwardson
05-14-10, 09:13 AM
Yes, the mission pack came with SHIV :yep:

And I was looking for the immersive mods for pacific, as the idea was that I could play Uboats in III, and pacific in IV, and be happy with it, and the likes of Real Fleetboat and Trigger Maru Overhaul look like the types of mods I like to add after playing once or two times to get the feel of the game.

Sailor Steve
05-14-10, 12:51 PM
Not a bad plan, but remember that RFB and TMO are separate and mutually exclusive.

Multi-SH4 will let you play both, though.

Rockin Robbins
05-14-10, 06:06 PM
Also remember that with Direct2Drive you purchased a one-time license to install these games. You WILL have to reinstall, not often, but sometimes. When you do so you will be unable to do so.

Of course there is a workaround. Back up the \Wolves of the Pacific directory and all subdirectories of the pristeen game, before any mods are installed, to another location. Write protect that location and don't play the game there. Then, when (not if, WHEN) the game starts acting squirrelly because of mod soup (we all get it once in awhile) you can uninstall the mods, copy all the files from your pristeen directory into \Wolves of the Pacific, write enable all the files, reinstall the mods and start playing again.

SH3 can work the same way.

Keep write protected directories of pristeen installs of both games. Then you're home free!:up: