PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the air detection radar (vanilla UBM)

Loud_Silence
05-07-10, 12:47 PM
I've been using the Improved-SD air detection radar for some time and it's worked very well so far, giving me enough time to dive between detecting threads and getting into visual range.

But on my last visit to port (June 1945) a new (maybe not) upgrade, called SV radar, appeared. Since it costed 1500 renown I thought it would be better than my current radar, but oh boy, I couldn't be more wrong. It just doesn't work. Thanks to that, I had a lot of "fun" near Wake, and now I have to go back to dock to remove that piece of crap and put back on my old Improved-SD.

One of the things I miss from SH3 is the upgrades list, that button with a question mark, that showed a timeline with all the upgrades and the time they were made available.

Admiral8Q
05-07-10, 07:38 PM
I've never heard of SV radar. I did a google search and found this:
http://www.maritime.org/radio-sv.htm

You would think it would work better:hmmm:

Maybe the game is just screwy about it:shifty:

Loud_Silence
05-07-10, 09:22 PM
It just doesn't work. I tested it twice. I'll put back the ol'good I-SD and try the same patrol again.
I tried it againt by sailing near Wake for some days, but a destroyer managed to ping me while at 300+ feet depth.

Or the SV radar just isn't modelled, or my SH4 has gone ape****.:damn:

LukeFF
05-07-10, 10:51 PM
Mods? SV radar should be working correctly. It's never failed on me.

Armistead
05-07-10, 11:43 PM
Works fine, great range, picks up planes and ships, you can have surface radar while dived......, nothing like following ships while dived, just wished it had it's own range meter seperate from the other surface radar. The only other thing I'm not sure about is if the enemy picks up it's transmissions, since it can't be cut off while surfaced.

Loud_Silence
05-08-10, 07:04 AM
Works fine, great range, picks up planes and ships, you can have surface radar while dived......, nothing like following ships while dived, just wished it had it's own range meter seperate from the other surface radar. The only other thing I'm not sure about is if the enemy picks up it's transmissions, since it can't be cut off while surfaced.
You mean... dived but with the masts out of the water, right?:o

Loud_Silence
05-08-10, 12:11 PM
That's it, this radar just doesn't work. I've tried all the settings I could imagine (radar on but not sweeping, radar off, manual sweeps...) but nothing seems to work.
I remember one bug where if you went to the radar, put it on focus mode and then went back to the map or anywhere else, no matter if you put the radar back on sweep mode using the UI buttons, it would remain on focus mode.

ETR3(SS)
05-08-10, 04:56 PM
If I remember correctly the SV radar didn't work in the stock game. The modders had to activate it. Could be wrong though.:hmmm:

Armistead
05-08-10, 09:47 PM
The SV is basically you're air radar, you don't have a scope for it, you just get the lines, however it will pick up ships as well as planes...

Yes, you dive and raise your air radar...that's SV..you have no settings to use, it's automatic. Your surface radar is seperate. Notice if you cut your surface radar off, your SV still picks up surface ships.

As ET said, it may not work in the stock game...I don't think it does, but I don't even recall stock giving it to you..so who knows, haven't played stock in so long.

Works great with TMO.