PDA

View Full Version : Correct number of officers on a fleet boat?

Zero Niner
05-03-10, 08:35 PM
Does SH4 have way too many officers on the boat? 3 in the control room, 3 on watch, 3 more in the conning tower... iirc, there are 6 officers only:
CO
XO
Weapons
Engineering
Navigator
One more...

Thinking of changing my crew next time I'm in base to reflect a more appropriate number.

ETR3(SS)
05-03-10, 08:43 PM
I think RFB has it right if I remember correctly. I know on a modern boat though there can be as many as 12 officers. Not that that helps here.

virtualpender
05-03-10, 11:13 PM
Six was the design complement of the GATO-class originally and is (generally) accurate through about mid-1942. The numbers increased over the course of the war and 10 officers was routine by the end of the war.

In 1945 the wardroom might look like:
- Captain
- XO / Navigator
- Engineering officer
- Asst Engineering officer
- Torpedo & Gunnery officer
- TDC Operator
- Communication officer
- Asst Communication officer
- Commissary officer
- Prospective Commanding Officer

It varied from boat to boat depending on timeframe, ship's equipment, and task force/squadron personnel availability but hopefully this helps.

LukeFF
05-04-10, 03:27 AM
To add on to virtualpender's post, yes, the average number of officers on a fleet sub in 1945 was typically 8-10 (one OOD and Junior OOD per watch, plus the captain and XO). A PCO (Prospective Commanding Officer), who was an officer being considered for the command of his own boat, could also be among the complement of officers.

fred8615
05-04-10, 08:22 AM
Was an officer really posted in the engine room? The game always has one in there by default, but I always thought CPOs commanded in the engine room, so I remove him in a career.

Randomizer
05-04-10, 12:43 PM
The US Naval Academy at Annapolis MD, had a world class engineering curriculum and unlike the RN or KM, virtually all American naval officers (Academy graduates at least) did a tour at some point in their careers as Chief Engineer or commander of the Engineer Division. So having engineering watchkeeping officers in Fleet Boats is perfectly fine and realistic.

virtualpender
05-04-10, 01:29 PM
To tack on to Luke's post - the Engineering officers did not stand watches in the engine rooms. They were responsible for overseeing that division but the watches were run by the chiefs. As Luke mentioned, the officers all stood watches as OOD or Assistant OOD in addition to their division officer duties.

During general quarters, the officers' battle stations were all generally on the bridge, in the conning tower, or in the control room. I have seen mention in a couple sources that late in the war a junior officer was assigned to oversee operations in the firing torpedo room but I believe that was the exception and not the rule.