PDA

View Full Version : Am I the onlyone to be bothered by these bugs ?

Excelsior82
05-01-10, 09:14 AM
Hello community !

After a month or so of intense playing, I've became tired of the awful amount of bugs or glitches which breaks the joy of that simulation. That's such a pity, cause this game could be an outstanding piece of art.

Here's what bugs me the most :

- Sometimes, some parts won't repair (ie : deck gun and flak does it a lot, although the game says you have 10-15min of repairs and nothing happens 2 hours later, don't tell me I'm submerged when I'm surfaced)

- Silent running doesn't stop automatically when surfaced, well that's a minor thing, just go to the command station and everything's OK

- Your hydrophone operator doesn't say "splashes" when DC are launched by a DD, nor you can hear them splash. You know the DD bombs you when you hear'em explodes. Also, it's very tough to know if they are close or not.
I would have preferred a SH1-like sounds : You know if you're in trouble

- When you reload a game, that's a whole swarm of glitches :
- You start with the command "All stop", what does that means ?
- Damage previously taken by your sub are re-calculated --> If your deck gun was damaged by a DC, your deck gun operators are injuried as well if you are surfaced
- Previously injuried crew are magically cured if their compartment isn't damaged anymore
- When you finish the patrol, if you sunk ships before your save, their sink date is shown the day you started the patrol (ie : You started your patrol the 08/02/42 08:00 AM, you sunk 5 ships the 08/02/42 at 00:08 AM : how cool is that ?)
- Much better : You load your replay and decide to continue playing in the middle of it, date is reset to your starting patrol date.

Since I'm not enough geek to play 3 or 4 hours straight in order to finish every started patrol, I could never play in good conditions and I prefer stop with this game.

But I'm really wondering if none of you aren't, at least a bit, bothered by the same bugs ?

BillBam
05-01-10, 09:27 AM
First off please let us know what MODS you have installed as this can great affect your problems.

If playing an unmoded game try installing Websters GFO mod (Game Fix Only), this mod only corrects some program bugs and does not change game play.

It is possible for ship components such as deck guns to be damaged beyond repair.

Your last comments about weird things happening after saving games I have seen also, I have not seen these problem pop up when I save when surfaced and the game paused.

Excelsior82
05-01-10, 10:57 AM
I was playing with a mod which would allow to raise the sd antenna mast (don't remember its exact name) and had myslef changed some values in airstrike.cfg and commands.cfg.

I forgot to mention that I'm with v1.4, so i dunno if there is a GFO for this version, but I'll take a look and will report after a try.

Harmsway!
05-01-10, 11:25 AM
I like to add a couple items to the list that I find as annoyances. In no way do I think of them as bugs and they don't stop me from loving the SH4.

- when you enter from a previous save you often find calm weather.
- there is no short cut command for the conning tower.

In my first sub I could at least exit the attack scope back into the conning tower by pressing 0 on the numpad. Now with my Gato class sub that doesn't work anymore. There is no clean way to move from the scope to the tower or from the map to tower.

I have RSRD/RFB2. If someone knows a work around let me know. Hey maybe I can assign a key. Can we do that? I'll be back.

BillBam
05-01-10, 11:41 AM
I like to add a couple items to the list that I find as annoyances. In no way do I think of them as bugs and they don't stop me from loving the SH4.

- when you enter from a previous save you often find calm weather.
- there is no short cut command for the conning tower.

In my first sub I could at least exit the attack scope back into the conning tower by pressing 0 on the numpad. Now with my Gato class sub that doesn't work anymore. There is no clean way to move from the scope to the tower or from the map to tower.

I have RSRD/RFB2. If someone know a work around let me know. Hey maybe I can assign a key. Can we do that? I'll be back.

Here is the link for the SH-Keymapper program.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=168297

Although I thought all the F-keys were for changing stations?

Harmsway!
05-01-10, 12:05 PM
Downloaded. Thanks

Edit: SH-Keymapper works like a charm. Now I have a key for the conning tower. Outstanding.

magic452
05-01-10, 06:28 PM
The 1.5 patch fixes some of those bugs but introduced others.
It's still worth getting but the game really need one more patch.

The bugs are annoying but not game breakers for me.
I'm using the U boat addition,V1.5, and TMO and these really improve the game so much I'll overlook the small bugs.

Man the deck guns and see if that fixes them but in any case they are usable as is if not too damaged.

Magic

Excelsior82
05-02-10, 05:37 AM
It is possible for ship components such as deck guns to be damaged beyond repair.

This can't be more true, but it seems the game doesn't know it. (It said 16 mn to repair gun, but no repair was done.)

The bugs are annoying but not game breakers for me.
I'm using the U boat addition,V1.5, and TMO and these really improve the game so much I'll overlook the small bugs.

Man the deck guns and see if that fixes them but in any case they are usable as is if not too damaged.
For me, that kind of bug is game-breaker. Call me finicky or whatever, but I just can't stand that my crew get harmed or healed without reason, I'd prefer a SH1 with no crew management.

BillBam
05-02-10, 08:53 AM
I find the crew management aspect of the game the weakest part. This would not be a captains job, it is the COB or XOs job. I dislike it so much I stopped playing RFB, micro management is no fun.

Sammi79
05-02-10, 10:18 AM
The 'All stop' command on load bugs me quite a bit. 1 time out of 100 it doesn't happen either leading me to hammer the 3 or 5 key wandering why my crew are not responding!

I think it has something to do with the waypoint system though, if you have a course planned, when you load the game tells your navigator that the last waypoint has been reached, thus issuing an all stop command. if you tell your navigator to return to course, you get the message last waypoint reached, grrr :x NO IT ISN'T I shout... and then 'All Stop' again.

Beware if you order ahead whatever speed to get going your navigator is not following waypoints, to get him to do that you have to (at least pretend to) plot more waypoints :doh: otherwise it's straight ahead until you hit something or run out of diesel.

Frumpkis
05-02-10, 10:56 AM
I find the crew management aspect of the game the weakest part. This would not be a captains job, it is the COB or XOs job. I dislike it so much I stopped playing RFB, micro management is no fun.

I'm about to reach the same conclusion, and probably start my next patrol with TMO instead. I don't enjoy shuffling crewmembers around, and it's not something a captain would be doing.

As far as remaining bugs go, I can live with the bugs in the OP's post. The one bug that really bothers me is the inertia/momentum modeling of the boat; the way it will glide for half a mile submerged after you command "all stop." I spend way too much time finessing my attack position with alternate forward and back engine commands to get the boat to stop dead in the water. I like that some momentum is modeled, but this is way overdone. And unfortunately it seems like it's not something the modders can change.

Harmsway!
05-02-10, 11:36 AM
If you don't want to micro manage why are you doing it? RFB doesn't force you to do it. Most of us only mess with the crew when the sub is in danger. As for me I'm happy to save a few souls.

You don't have to change mods. Just stop messing about. Keep your hands off.

Keelbuster
05-02-10, 01:34 PM
I thought that in TMO, we still had to move the crew from the bridge, deckgun, AA gun positions to Hogan's alley because the computer treats them as outside of the boat even when submerged... if this is not the case, I've been wasting a lot of time and incurring a lot of unnecessary frustration. I don't mind moving them off those locations I guess, because when you're about to get depth charged you don't have a lot else to do. But the thing that bothers me is that when I surface I often forget to replace the bridge watch, and with zero bridge efficiency I blunder into something.

BillBam
05-02-10, 01:44 PM
I thought that in TMO, we still had to move the crew from the bridge, deckgun, AA gun positions to Hogan's alley because the computer treats them as outside of the boat even when submerged... if this is not the case, I've been wasting a lot of time and incurring a lot of unnecessary frustration. I don't mind moving them off those locations I guess, because when you're about to get depth charged you don't have a lot else to do. But the thing that bothers me is that when I surface I often forget to replace the bridge watch, and with zero bridge efficiency I blunder into something.

I seem to remember Ducimuse stating that you only have to move the gunners and not the watch crew in TMO.

itman
05-02-10, 04:12 PM
No one mentions the fact, that when the deck-crew calls "ship spotted" each and every man is pointing in the opposite direction of the said spotted ship. :damn:

Like Bernard is on watch...

dezertflyr
05-02-10, 05:44 PM
Whenever I dive I always move the crew below decks...to keep it real :03:

jerm138
05-03-10, 06:08 PM
I spend way too much time finessing my attack position with alternate forward and back engine commands to get the boat to stop dead in the water. I like that some momentum is modeled, but this is way overdone. And unfortunately it seems like it's not something the modders can change.

:hmmm: I bet the real skippers wish they would have had the ability to hover at depth too.