PDA

View Full Version : Trivia about the TDC in SH4

Platapus
05-01-10, 07:40 AM
Did you know that if you set up a "fast 90" with the PK on, you will consistently miss your target?

I didn't :damn::damn::damn:
:wah::wah::wah:

One of these days, I will learn about this game...:88)

Four cargo ships, 11 torpedoes. Never the twain shall meet on my boat. :88)

If you are going to set up a "fast 90" or a "Cromwell" PK must be off. :know:

Fincuan
05-01-10, 07:56 AM
No **** :haha:

PK = Position Keeper

Tracks the target, which is completely not the idea in either of those attack methods.

Diopos
05-01-10, 11:14 AM
No **** :haha:

PK = Position Keeper

Tracks the target, which is completely not the idea in either of those attack methods.

Aaah. So that's what "PK" stands for!
Thought it meant Precision Killer!

:D

Rockin Robbins
05-01-10, 02:42 PM
Well actually we don't do Fast 90 in an American submarine because Fast 90 depends on the periscope automatically changing the AoB with the periscope bearing. That's something the American submarines could do but SH4 does not.

For that reason and not to confuse the methods (that means gutted jumped all over me and asked why in the WORLD was I calling it Fast 90) we selected the name Dick O'Kane Technique. That is because we are using the TDC to set the lead angle, choosing a desired shoot bearing ahead of time and manually entering the AoB for that bearing ahead of time, something completely different from the Fast 90 technique used in U-Boats only.

For U-Boat skippers reading along, with the U-Boat you point the periscope at the bearing 90 degrees from the course of your target, set the AoB to 90, link the periscope to the TDC, then point at the target. So long as your periscope is pointed at the target, the AoB is continuously updated to be correct and whenever you choose to fire you will hit the target. Also you may have noticed that with Fast-90 your course need not be 90 degrees from the target course either.