PDA

View Full Version : Buying Crew Members

Scurvy
04-23-10, 04:33 AM
Long time, no see, here. Hope everyone is well...

Once, long ago, I was lurking and read where one of you guys said he "purchased" and worked on a crew member that was not only proficient, but made an expert, on Sonar.

My question is: Who and where to place experienced Naval personnel?

Are sonar operators to go to the Bridge? Are radar operators to go to the conning tower? I understand Watch and Torpedoes and Guns and Engines, insofar as delegating my men.

As far as a crew-member with high mechanical skill and another with high electronics, I'm often confused about where it's best to designate my crew, to make my boat as efficient as possible.

Also, do you guys multitask seamen, trading them out, when one man is sleeping in one station and another is, say, "on watch"? Just something I was thinking about experimenting with.

Sammi79
04-23-10, 05:02 AM
Sonar Ops should be in sonar station... I guess, I'm not sure how much difference things make to the efficiency - The crew are already arranged in 3 shifts, 1 on while the other 2 rest/sleep it cycles automatically about every 8 hrs unless you put them in battle stations, in which case all crew are active.

I would think that high skills in electrical would favor a sonar op/radio man,

high mechanical skill would be best for engine/torpedo rooms,

High leadership for the command room,

the others are pretty self explanatory, watch/guns/torps.

I tend to use the resting watch/command crew for the deck gun when I use it so I can maintain the watches eyes whilst fighting. I've not really experimented with altering individual shifts, but if you wanted to tweak the efficiency you could probably gain a minor bonus occasionally in this way.

You've got me thinking now...:hmmm: if I put sonar man in the command room will he increase his leadership? should the officer/petty officer supposedly in charge of each compartment shift have high leadership aswell as skill in whatever the compartment is?

whatever you do though don't leave them on battlestations, after about a week they won't be able to make your boat move let alone fight!:03:

raymond6751
04-23-10, 05:33 AM
Hi

Beside each compartment is a color bar that rises and lowers showing the efficiency of the whole compartment.

I arrange new crew after I'm at sea and there is time. I move crew and watch that color bar go up and down. First I take the lowest skills and put them into the repairs crew. Then I seek out the best in each category and ask myself why they are in the place that they are.

Eventually, you end up with each compartment as efficient as possible.

Also, fill every slot before you leave port. Even the zero guys.

My dream is to survive long enough to develop a zero guy up to an efficient guy, although I think that is never to be.

Gibus
04-23-10, 07:05 AM
Anyway, buy the best crew will not help to put the torpedo in the bowels of Yamato or Musashi. Only the Commander is responsible for this.
The crew management is to "amuse the gallery" as we say in France.:D

Fortunately it's less heavy than SH3 or SH5! :damn:

Armistead
04-24-10, 05:06 PM
Actually crew efficiency plays some role, morale status an important role. Watch someones health goe down to 20 with a panicked status numbers go way down...you don't want him loading torps.

I'll mix and match them as needed. I like a decent repair crew, but also have found if you'll place good repairmen in any damaged compartment it speeds repairs much faster. If my stern is flooding, I'll put mechanics in it and the damage control for faster repair.

Main thing is not to remove the officers or all rates go down. Don't move the XO or whoever, the guy in the top row in the command room, everything goes down.

WarlordATF
04-24-10, 07:57 PM
This is just the way i do it, Its probably not the best method.

What i do is assign crew members by their skill level for each compartment. Highest Skills get 3rd watch while lowest get 1st watch. This leaves you with a weak 1st watch but as i return to port i replace the 1st watch members anytime i find someone with better stats.

Its helpful for me because i can look at the crew screen and tell if i have a great crew, a good one, or the scrubs before an engagement.

Scurvy
04-25-10, 02:50 AM
This is just the way i do it, Its probably not the best method.

What i do is assign crew members by their skill level for each compartment. Highest Skills get 3rd watch while lowest get 1st watch. This leaves you with a weak 1st watch but as i return to port i replace the 1st watch members anytime i find someone with better stats.

Its helpful for me because i can look at the crew screen and tell if i have a great crew, a good one, or the scrubs before an engagement.

OH, gosh, man... That's something so simple that it went right over my head!!! Replacing a member of one shift with another, just before attacking a ship or convoy.

I didn't even think about that. My mind was wrapped around the idea (subconsciously, this whole time) that one off-duty crew member can't be reassigned to the current working shift. Of course, it makes all the sense in the world, since during Battlestations, all members are working.

It's the simple things that evade me, sometimes, and draw me more and more into this simulation.

Thanks for your reply, man. I'll start thinking outside the box from now on.

:salute: